Snapped the main halyard!

Moderator: GreenLake

Snapped the main halyard!

Postby MickolaustheWonder » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:53 pm

I'm new to the forum but have been reading the threads for awhile. I bought my Daysailer last year and I believe it is a DSI but do not know the year. It needs all new lines really, but I have been making do with the ones I have for financial reasons. I live in Seattle now, but I'm from St. Louis originally.

So yesterday I went to raise the sail and the darn halyard snapped. My boat sits on a floating dock on a cradle so the last thing I want to do is have to take the mast down. I have never had the mast down and have only limited knowledge of how to do that anyway. Anyone have any ideas on getting the new halyard up there? Also, I'm not sure about the mechanical working of the top of the mast. Does the halyard just go through one sheave into the other and then down, or is it more complicated than that?
It ain't what you don't know that'll hurt ya, it's what you know for sure that ain't so.
MickolaustheWonder

Postby jpclowes » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:12 pm

You don't say where you are, but here are a few suggestions. If you really don't want to take the mast down, is there a bridge or high wharf close to the water where you could get to the top of the mast?

If your halyards are external (run outside the mast,) another option is to find a sandy beach close by, and pull the boat over on it's side. The boat will roll with a little effort on to its side pretty easily. Even if they are internal, you might be able to make this work, and use a plumbers/electricians snake to snake the halyard through to the sheve, but it would be a lot more complicated.

I hope those ideas help.
J .P. Clowes
Eastern Great Lakes Regional V.P.
DSI 14083
jpclowes

Postby MickolaustheWonder » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:33 pm

Yeah those sound pretty good! I am in Seattle on Lake Washington. I've only live up here for a couple of years and I'm not sure of beaches on this lake and I don't think I could use any of the bridges. I like the idea of the beach a lot though. I will check that out and in the meantime if you think of something else give me a holler!
It ain't what you don't know that'll hurt ya, it's what you know for sure that ain't so.
MickolaustheWonder

Postby GreenLake » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:24 pm

I've sent you a PM
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby algonquin » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:20 am

Greetings from Maine - Sounds like you need to do a general inspection of your new boat. Chances are that other lines may also be weakened from age and UV issues. Also look over the standing rigging for any signs of chaffing and wear. Even on a budget your money will be well spent and your boat much more enjoyable. Don’t hesitate to use rope from your local hardware store. Most likely it will be cheaper than sailing specific rope and eventually as your budget permits you can replace it. Brad
"Feather" DS1 #818
algonquin

Postby K.C. Walker » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:03 pm

Okay, I'll throw a couple of cents on this one. I think it would be wise to spend the money on good halyard rope. It's really not that expensive and a good non-stretch halyard makes a world of difference compared to hardware store stretchy stuff. I wouldn't hesitate recommending buying a precut halyard from Intensity Sails. http://www.intensitysails.com/newenro5mmfi.html I just ordered some line from them and they didn't even charge shipping.

Your suspicion that there is a sheave front and back at the masthead is correct and it is simple as pie.

I suppose the floating dock might not be the steadiest set up for taking the mast down. It might be fear of the unknown, though. It's really not a very heavy mast and is pretty easy to take down. With one or 2 other people even taking it down for the 1st time won't be all that hard. Do you have a one piece mast or is it hinged just above the deck? If one piece, 3 people would make it really a piece of cake. Whereas if it's hinged you can easily do it by yourself, though with the help of one other person it's also cake. JP's suggestions are good ones.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Return to Rigging