Comparing sail options

Moderator: GreenLake

Comparing sail options

Postby holstein » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:02 am

I'm in the process of purchases a new set of sails for my recently aquired DS-1.

If been scanning the internet and this message board, and have found a number of sources for ready made sails.

However, I am seeing a very large price spread.

Intensity sails offer a jib for $169 and a main for $279, which had favorable comments on this board.

DR marine offers the jib/main package for $675.

And then I see sails from North sail that are over $600 a sheet.

I'm interested primarily in family cruising and club racing.

What should I look for and what question should I ask before purchasing one of these sets ?

Thanks in advance.
Bill H
holstein

Postby algonquin » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:22 am

For general use I am very satisfied with the quality of the sail package I purchased from DR Marine.

Intensity sails have favorable reviews on this site. From what I have read the DR package may be slightly better made. The Intensity sail package price certainly is attractive for the budget minded and offer a quality product that will last many years.

One thing I would recommend is that you have at least one set of reefing points installed on your main. It will cost a few dollars more but offers the ability to reduce the size of the main when the winds are high. Brad
"Feather" DS1 #818
algonquin

Postby GreenLake » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:11 am

I second Brad on adding the reef points.

From what you read on the North Sails site, their sails appear to have been used on many very competitive boats recently, but if you aren't directly planning to win the Nationals, a notch or two lower in price, for example Jotz or NeilPryde(sold by D&R) might help you be competitive where you sail.

I made all my beginneräs mistakes with a set of used sails and then upgraded to a set of Jotz sails. They were different enough that I had to practice some new sail trimming techniques to get the best out of them.

Most people will be like that: they have sailed perhaps with one or two makes of sail, and few will have done head-to-head comparison of new sails. This just so you don't get your hopes up to get a definitive answer to your question. You'll just have to decide.
Last edited by GreenLake on Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

comparing sail options

Postby ChrisB » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:39 pm

I have the original set of Neil Pryde sails on my 1980 DSII and they have held up well but are in need of replacement. Last summer, I purchased a jib from Intensity and I am pleased with both the shape of the sail and the construction. I have not put much sailing time on it so it is too soon to tell how well it will hold up over time. Intensity's price on the main is very attractive. The closest quote I got was $485 from Island Planet. I purchased a Doyle UPS (light air drifter/reacher) for Christmas but have not sailed it yet. It looks to be a very well built sail. I also echo the sentiments that reef points are a must on the mainsail.
Chris B.
ChrisB

Postby GreenLake » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:58 pm

One more thing, if this is your first set of sails, you might benefit from working with a place where you get advice from the sailmaker and can disuss your needs - as I was able to get from Hank Jotz. It definitely helped me be sure that I was getting a sail that would work for my intended use.

You should be prepared to know which of several types of masts that were used on the DS you are using, as some sailmakers adjust their sails according to the different bending characteristics etc.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Mike Gillum » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:13 pm

If you intend to race locally you would be better off to purchase used sails from a local or regional competitive racer. Many competitve racers use their sails for either one season or two (depending on the class requirements) before rotating them to back-up status to be used rarely for practice or heavy weather. In most cases the sails have very low hours/mileage on them and are usually well taken care of both on and off the race course. The other advantage is that the competitve racer will help you properly set-up your boat for the sails they're selling you making it a win/win for both parties! Something to consider if you're hoping to get yourself and your Daysailer up to speed.
Mike Gillum

Postby kkearns » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:57 pm

I finished my second season with the Intensity Sails and I am very pleased thus far. I do not race anymore, but I have no reason to believe they would not suffice for friendly club racing. The price is almost impossible to beat. I had doubts when I ordered them, wondering if this would be a case of "you get what you pay for." But I have been favorably impressed. I believe they are manufactured in China. If you really want to be competitive, even in your local club, perhaps one of the other makers would be better.

Kevin
kkearns

Sails

Postby persephone » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:06 am

I had a discussion with one of the fellows from Intensity about this. He confirmed that they are made in China. However you should keep in mind that a few of the BIG names are making their sails in China or other eastern Asian countries as well.
So if that doesn't bother you go for the Intensity sails. I know a few guys who sail them on Lasers (practice and just for fun as they are not class legal yet) and are very happy with them. And you will be happy knowing that you got a similar quality product at a fraction of the price.
Alternatively, if you want to support a more local business, check into SLO or Jotz, they are both active supporters of the DSA and make excellent sails. Not as cheap as Intensity, but made in the US.
Also you could search out other sailmakers local to you if you are in a coastal area likely to have them. I had a quote from a fellow in Amesbury, MA for main and jib under $600.

just my $.02...
Geoff Plante, former DS1 owner
1950(ish) vintage National One Design.
persephone

Postby Peterw11 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:34 am

Everything in Kevin's post applies to me as well (except for the former racer part). This will be my third season with an Intensity main and I'm quite satisfied.

I also bought their cockpit cover last season and am equally pleased with that.

I am a big believer in supporting local businesses, and while the product itself may be made offshore, the company is based not far from me in RI, and has been around for decades.

So, in essence, I'm still patronizing a local business, no?
Peterw11

New sail are in !!

Postby holstein » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:34 am

The new intensity sails just arrived, and I raised them on the boat in the driveway.

A question:

The old jib had some type of wire pigtail in the tack that kept it off the deck by about 6 inches. To I need to fabricate something similar for the new Jib ?

Thanks
Bill H
holstein

Postby algonquin » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:39 am

For starters you should be able to attach your new sail as is using a stainless shackle to attach the new sail to the stem head on deck. After your initial test sail you may determine that you want to place a small extension at the attachment point but my guess is you won’t need it. Brad
"Feather" DS1 #818
algonquin

New Sails are In

Postby ChrisB » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:23 am

Bill,

My original jib (Neil Pryde) had a halyard type shackle on the tack of the sail with no pigtail. When I got the new jib from Intensity, I used a stainless steel "D" shackle to tack it to the stemhead (mostly because that is what I had handy). Other than visibility under the foot of the jib, I don't know why you would want to use a pigtail.

Chris
Chris B.
ChrisB

Postby GreenLake » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:29 pm

Wouldn't having air escape below the sail make it less efficient? I noticed my jib was cut so that the foot actually ends up lower than the tack, so the sail touches the deck.

I always thought that was to prevent pressure from equalizing by air flow around the foot.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby ChrisB » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:33 pm

I had not considered that aspect but you are correct, raising the sail off the deck would allow air to spill under the foot and thus reduce the efficiency of the slot. The only reason I can think of for a pendant on the jib would be to clear bow pulpit or lifeline which is not an issue on the DS.
Chris B.
ChrisB

Re: comparing sail options

Postby dkloswa » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:50 pm

ChrisB wrote:I have the original set of Neil Pryde sails on my 1980 DSII and they have held up well but are in need of replacement. Last summer, I purchased a jib from Intensity and I am pleased with both the shape of the sail and the construction. I have not put much sailing time on it so it is too soon to tell how well it will hold up over time. Intensity's price on the main is very attractive. The closest quote I got was $485 from Island Planet. I purchased a Doyle UPS (light air drifter/reacher) for Christmas but have not sailed it yet. It looks to be a very well built sail. I also echo the sentiments that reef points are a must on the mainsail.

Chris,

I have an 84 DSII and it has the original Neil Pride sails as well. I've had them cleaned an reconditioned by Sailcare, who did a wonderfull job with the sails. I'm looking at buying a drifter/reacher, or lapper, and would be interested in the performance and specs on your newly purchased sail from Doyle. If you would share the specs, Luff, leech, foot, and LP I'd sure appreciate it. Also any pics of your new sail, and approximate price paid from Doyle would be welcome as well. Finally, did you make any adjustments to the running rigging to accommodate the new sail?

Thanks

DB
dkloswa

Return to Sails