Whisker pole storage

Moderator: GreenLake

Whisker pole storage

Postby TIM WEBB » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:27 am

Hi all,

I'm trying to come up with a better way to attach the whisker pole to the side of the boom. Currently I have three of those springy clip things that are used for hanging brooms, but the pole pops out of them any time the boom gets flexed, like when the vang or sheet is tight. I put an eyestrap with a snap shackle on the boom, and clip that to the one on the pole, so it won't fall off when it pops out, but it's still annoying!

Any ideas? The pole is about 1" in diameter and about 5-6 feet long, fixed length, with hooks on the ends. I'd really like to continue to store it on the boom rather than anywhere on deck, and it doesn't fit in the cuddy. I'm usually hove to, with the boom let all the way out to port, when I'm taking it off and putting it on the boom, so it needs to be something that can be done from the forward end ...

TIA for any and all suggestions!

- Tim
TIM WEBB

Postby GreenLake » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:03 pm

What kind of hooks to you have on your pole? If they are like the spinnaker pole fittings, you could use a ring and a tube.

The tube would go at the far end. (PVC tube from the hardware store). You stick one end of the pole into it. The other end clicks into a ring on the boom.

If your pole doesn't have fittings that can lock, you could still use the tube, and then secure the close end with the snaps that you are using today. I'm thinking that if the pole rests a bit loosely in the tube, it would not be affected by boom flexing the same way it would be if two ends were fixed.

Or use a ring to "hang" the pole end with a Velcro loop to keep it from jumping out.

Depending on how long you make the tube, you can make it so it holds the pole almost by itself, and the support of the "free" end would mostly serve to limit sliding along the tube.

I've not tried this myself, but I've seen pictures by people who use a setup like that for spinnaker poles. I think it should work, but, obviously, can't report any first hand experience.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby TIM WEBB » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:14 pm

Thanks GreenLake.

You can see the hook on one end of the pole in this pic:

[thumb=920]

The other end looks the same. In use (for wing 'n' wing), one hook is in the jib clew grommet, and the other snaps onto a ring on the front of the mast, then I just sheet in to set it.

I like the PVC tube idea, and actually saw something similar on another forum after I posted the above. The tube diameter might need to be a bit large, although I suppose I could also shorten the hooks ... hmmmmm ...

Also considering trying vertical mounting on the front of the mast, using the ring as the lower part. That way I'd just swing it down for use. Might be too snaggy for the jib leech tho ...
TIM WEBB

Postby GreenLake » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:13 pm

TIM WEBB wrote:I like the PVC tube idea, and actually saw something similar on another forum after I posted the above. The tube diameter might need to be a bit large, although I suppose I could also shorten the hooks

No need to.

The tubes don't have to go the full circle to be effective. So, I'd imagine you could cut a narrow slot into the top of the tube, turning it into a rounded U shape. At the front, you'd widen the slot into a V so that you don't need to aim the pole too precisely.

As long as the slot is wider than the hook, but narrower than the pole, you'd be fine.

It looks like the nose of your hook extends a bit beyond the pole diameter as well, so you'd need to get a slightly larger diameter tube, and you need to give it an end-cap, so that the pole can't "drop" beyond the end of it, or you'll get it caught. (A suitable termination of the tube will also help stabilize the opening of the "U".)

The length of the tube should be based on how close you need the opening to feed the pole easily from the cockpit, but otherwise rather shorter to save on weight.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Alan » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:48 pm

Tim,

Not to get off topic, but the cup-shaped device on the forward side of the mast base (to keep the jib sheets from catching, I assume) is very professional looking. Did you buy it or make it?
Alan

Postby TIM WEBB » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:40 pm

GL:

I was thinking the tube would have to have an end cap anyway? Just so you could jam the pole in there, then affix the forward end however ... ?

The main issue I have with any kind of tube back there is interference with the outhaul and reef lines. They both pass right by where a tube would be ...

Tonight I played around a bit with a simple K. I. S. S. idea: an eyestrap aft, into which I place one hook, and then my existing eyestrap/snap shackle assembly to keep the pole alongside the boom. My aim is to drill as few more holes in the boom as possible! :twisted:

I'll give that a shot next time out (prolly won't be tomorrow: we're finally getting some much needed rain here!), and if it works well, I'll post some pix.

Alan:

Hate to disappoint you, but there is very little on The Red Witch that is "professional"! :D

That device on the front of the mast base is nothing more than a plastic margarine tub, cut to fit, spray painted white, and attached to the top of the mast hinge. Yes, it's there to keep the jib sheets from snagging on the hinge, and it works great for that, but I still have to pay attention to keeping them from snagging on the halyard cleats ... hmmmmmm ...
TIM WEBB

Postby TIM WEBB » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:36 am

Well, I finally got pix of the way I ended up doing the whisker pole storage:

[thumb=1027]

Aft end:

[thumb=1028]

Forward end:

[thumb=1029]

Very easy to remove and replace pole on boom when hove-to, and it doesn't constantly fall off like it did before!
TIM WEBB

Postby algonquin » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:55 pm

Nice idea !

My DSI allows the whisker pole to be stored in hollow right behind either seat. Fishing pole to starboard, whisker pole to port. :lol: Brad
"Feather" DS1 #818
algonquin

Return to Rigging