definitions of Daysailer I, II, III

Moderator: GreenLake

definitions of Daysailer I, II, III

Postby miguelito » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:55 pm

As I start to search for a Daysailer here in the Pacific Northwest (where there aren't many), I keep wondering what the three designations mean, so where do I look to see which model I want? If the hulls are different, I want the largest and most seaworthy of the models, since well be "dinghy camping" but in Puget Sound, where the wind and waves can be formidable. This is a great site once I've figured out how to use it. Thanks!
miguelito

Postby GreenLake » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:35 pm

There's not a big difference in the overall size. The opening into the front cuddy is the widest for DSI.

Why don't you take some time and hunt/search through old posts here (as well as the photos on the site - including user photos).

There should be some discussions about cruising as well.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Bob Hunkins » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:51 pm

The Day Sailer I was the first boat built by O'Day. It has a centerboard controlled by a brass handle, and most have an open cuddy. Later versions made by Sunfish/Laser inc. in the mid 90's had a closed off cuddy, as do the current version made by Cape Cod Shipbuilding.
The Day Sailer II was built by O'Day starting in the 1970's. The DaySailer Association accepted the DS II as a legal Day Sailer only on condition that O'Day continue to build the original Day Sailer.
The Day Sailer II had a false bottom that raised the center of gravity and a control line system to raise the centerboard.

A few years later, O'Day started building the DS III. The class association refused to accept that boat as a Day Sailer because O'Day had changed the hull shape as well as the rudder and other important characteristics.

When O'Day went out of business, the Class association bought the rights to the Day Sailer. The Day Sailer I has been built by several companies since then, including Rebel, Spindrift, McLaughlin, Sunfish/Laser and finally Cape Cod Shipbuilding.
Bob Hunkins
#11750, "Surprise"
San Leon, Texas
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Postby TomL » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:33 pm

Bob, thanks for the run down.

Is there a significant difference in the roominess/comfort in regard to the DSI vs II. It looks like the seats may be a little deeper for the DSI and maybe more room in the Cuddy.

We also want to do mini cruises and are trying to determin which DS would be best for that. I have seen several II but not a I. Guess I really need to see a I to make a good comparison.

Thanks again

TomL
TomL

Postby algonquin » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:28 am

The seats do appear deeper on a DSI. The cuddy may appear larger but I believe that is mainly because its open with more accessability. Two advantages of the DSII cuddy is that you can close it off from the weather and also secure your gear from site. I sail a DSI and use five gallon buckets with covers to hold my gear. The covers are marked so you know what’s in the bucket. I secure the buckets (4) to the mast base with bungies . Brad
"Feather" DS1 #818
algonquin

Return to Rigging