Advice needed on idea to fix stuck centerboard

Regarding the DS3 only. Note that the DS3 is not a class-legal Day Sailer.

Moderator: GreenLake

Advice needed on idea to fix stuck centerboard

Postby thomasalberthale » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:17 am

I have another query about centerboards. Like others, mine jams after the season because of inaccessible growths on the upper section of the centerboard and the inside of the upper part of the trunk that turn to glue. This year the jam was worse than before--had to go under the boat in 5 ft. of water with a wrecking bar to get it down.
I want to drill a hole in the trunk top as others have done, but am worried about a plug protruding that will catch lines. I'm thinking of cutting a one inch hole, fitting a PVC adapter with a threaded interior that takes a screw-in plug, trimming the adapter until it is no higher than 1/4 inch sticking up out of the trunk top, ,fibreglassing it in place with a slope so that there is no possibility of a line snagging, then using a 3/4 inch dowel to push the board down at the beginning of the next season. Questions: how thick is the fibreglas on the flat part of the trunk? How much clearance is there between the bottom side of the trunk top and the top of the center board when it is retracted? Does anyone else have a better idea of how to insert a plug that does not stick up? Thanks, TH
thomasalberthale

Return to Day Sailer III Only