North Carolina Sailing - Pamlico Soundside Outer Banks

Moderator: GreenLake

North Carolina Sailing - Pamlico Soundside Outer Banks

Postby danamags » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:24 am

I sail mostly in the lakes in and around Raleigh, but am considering taking the boat (DS2) out to the Outer Banks this weekend and was wondering if anyone has any advice/stories on good sailing out of Avon, Rodanthe, or Hatteras on the Pamlico Sound side?
Turn-Ons: Yachting
Turn-Offs: Not Yachting
danamags

lessons learned

Postby danamags » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:55 am

ok, lessons learned are:

1. marinas and access to the sound are crappy for sailboats without aux power. try to find someone with direct soundside access so that you're not paddling or dodging camo jonboats on your way out.

2. leave the centerboard uncleated. lower it, but let the shallow bottom tell you when it should come up. it's more high-maintenance, but it will save you from wrecking the centerboard and it's just another tweak you'll have to do while sailing.

3. the pamlico sound is beautiful. and the porpoises welcome you wth true southern hospitality, jumping and playing around the boat while you sail.

4. a DSII hauls serious ass in 18-20 knots.
danamags

Postby K.C. Walker » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:15 pm

Good report! Thanks. I've always thought it would be great fun to try sailing that area. It sure would provide a lot of variety, I would think.

Yes, the DaySailer does haul some serious ass at those wind speeds, especially behind a barrier island when you don't have much chop! That sounds like some serious fun to me.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby algonquin » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:59 pm

18-20 knots ! :) Sounds like a ball. Did you get your boat to plane ? Brad
"Feather" DS1 #818
algonquin

good times

Postby danamags » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:02 am

it would probably have planed but we had three on board, so it was...well balasted, we'll say...
danamags

Postby Baysailer » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:49 pm

A little late but here's an old article from the Albacore site, sailing a Uffa Fox designed dinghy on the Palmico Sound. It may have changed in the dozen or so years since this article was written but I'm sure you'll see similarities.

http://usaa.albacore.org/usaa_files/Pamlico_97.pdf

Fred
Baysailer

great read

Postby danamags » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:08 pm

baysailer - thanks for the awesome article. i really enjoyed it and it definitely had a familiar feel to it - although thankfully we had a more tame journey. the direct offshore wind is tough though and it makes you work to make it back to shore. thanks again for a great read - and one that makes me want to get back out there and try it myself.
danamags

Re: North Carolina Sailing - Pamlico Soundside Outer Banks

Postby SpeckledTrout » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:34 pm

This is an old post but I'm new and will add on... PM me if you'd like some ideas/tips for trips in the Pamlico. I've done a few itineraris over the yrs via places like New Bern, Oriental, Ocracoke (and Hoboken, but that's a bad story). It's a superb place to sail. I can also offer some info on trips in the Beaufort/Cape Lookout/Morehead City areas if that's of interest as I sail there most often when I'm at the coast (I'm Raleigh based). Regards, Andrew
Regards,
Andrew
DSII #5996
SpeckledTrout

Postby K.C. Walker » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:39 pm

I'm going to put a hearty thumbs-up for this post. I don't have any immediate plans for that area but I sure have thought about it. I feel like I'm in limbo here in southern New England right now… Somewhere between ice sailing and the real thing. :-)
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby GreenLake » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:01 pm

SpeckledTrout wrote:This is an old post but I'm new and will add on... PM me if you'd like some ideas/tips for trips in the Pamlico. I've done a few itineraris over the yrs via places like New Bern, Oriental, Ocracoke (and Hoboken, but that's a bad story). It's a superb place to sail. I can also offer some info on trips in the Beaufort/Cape Lookout/Morehead City areas if that's of interest as I sail there most often when I'm at the coast (I'm Raleigh based). Regards, Andrew

Feel free to elaborate here. That's what the forum is for.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Fleets/Locations