Doyle Universal Power Sail

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: Doyle Universal Power Sail

Postby Alan » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:04 am

Tim,

"Oh, BTW, I also see in your photos that you have black spars, as does The Red Witch. Haven't seen many DS's with them. Do you know if they were black originally?"

I'd guess that they were. The boat is a 1980 and the mast is a Dwyer DM-284. The black looks like anodizing, not paint. And they do get toasty in direct sunlight.
Alan

Postby Thomasjbrothersjr » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:40 am

I have a 1983 DSII, the KALEIGH B which also sports black spars, as originals.

TBone
"It's not the towering sail, but the unseen wind that moves the ship"

1983 O'Day Daysailer II "KALEIGH B"
Thomasjbrothersjr

Postby Alan » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:05 pm

Tested the UPS at Tahoe this week. It worked fine in light air with the Intensity main (albeit not for very long - the wind kept dying away completely).

The Ronstan endless line furler worked like a charm. I managed to teach nine complete novices to tack using the roll-up method. Since I'm a near-novice myself, this speaks well of the furler's ease of use.

One slight hiccup - if you furl the sail almost all the way, leaving a foot or so unrolled, a light puff will catch it and unroll it in a big hurry. You'll then have a double layer of flapping Nylite for other sailors to point and giggle at.
Alan

Postby K.C. Walker » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:22 pm

Alan,

I'm glad you had a chance to use the UPS. It really added a lot of fun to my summer sailing and I used it a bunch!
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby Alan » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:45 pm

Just in case anyone's thinking of buying a bowsprit rather than making their own, I ran across this:

http://www.mauriprosailing.com/us/1-For ... RITKS.html

I've been grumbling at myself for maybe spending too much money on shiny stuff when I built mine. Looking at the price tag on this one, I feel much better.
Alan

Postby K.C. Walker » Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:16 pm

LOL, yes that's a bit pricey. Forte is located about 10 miles from me and I've talked to the owner several times about ideas. I borrowed heavily from their attachment design for my bowsprit. Sure, I would have loved carbon but aluminum is doing just fine.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Previous

Return to Sails