Bent Mast

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Bent Mast

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 07, 2002 6:43 pm

Just purchased a DS1 - Have discovered that the mast is bent. Please see http://www.aisol.com/daysailer/bent_mast.htm for photos. Do the shrouds / stays take this much bend out? Can I attempt to bend it back? Should I take it somewhere (where?) to repair it? Should I get a new one?

Please help

--Ron

RJ Swenson (rswenson-at-aisol.com)

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 07, 2002 9:36 pm

You might consider converting it to a tabernacle mast. You can get what you need here: http://www.odaysailboats.com/Daysailer.asp
You could cut the mast before the bend, removing the bent part, leaving the longer, upper part for the tabernacle mast, and add a new lower part and the tabernacle hinge. The mast would be much easier to step that way. The site above sells what you'd need for the lower part, priced by the foot.

Brooke (brookelise-at-attbi.com)

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 08, 2002 10:40 am

Ron -

If you are intent on restoring this DS1 to "like new", I would suggest not converting to a tabernacle mast.

There are several resources in the NW that can help you in the restoration, namely:

Phil Root - Eugene, OR email: ds2542@msn.com
Steve Grimaldi - Vancouver, BC
I'll have to get you his email later.

Steve has recently completed a very impressive restoration of a DS1.

The mast you have might be straightend. I have read articles where a couple of posts/trees are used to obtain a "lever type action" to straighten the mast.

It might also be possible for a muffler shop to do the straightening. Check and see if there is a spar rigging shop in your area.

let me know if you have any questions.

Don
Contagious 2835

Don Trop (don.trop-at-att.net)

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 24, 2002 6:36 pm

Ron
I was not able to look at the pictures of the mast, so I don’t really know how bad the bends are. With some work it is possible bend the mast in the opposite direction and get it reasonable straight. Bends in the fore and aft direction are relatively easy. Be really careful with bends in the in the other direction (side to side), especially near the shroud connections. The holes drilled in the mast to make those connect weaken along that axis. That’s the voice of experience.
Good Luck
Bob

Bob (rewalker-at-calpoly.edu)

Return to Repair and Improvement