wood replacement

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

wood replacement

Postby Peter McMinn » Wed Nov 06, 2002 5:35 pm

The teak on my '60 DS1 is pretty much toast. I know I can fix the finish, but there are just too many other repairs to make--including the midship supports--that it'll be more cost effective to replace seats, thwart, and coamings with a new material. Im leaning toward using CVG fir impregated with epoxy. Believe the end product will look great, and won't involve the financial and environmental expense that teak or mahogany requires.
Any experience out there using this treatment?
Peter
Peter McMinn

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 07, 2002 8:55 pm

I'm sure you'll get replies from class sailors that will caution against changing anything original, but my objection to the new materials is one of asthetics. Take the few man-hours to refinish your coamings and seats...I did and I had no idea they could look this good. I bought my 1969 DSI a year and a half ago. The wood was rough, weathered, and dull. I removed it all with a screwdriver and a wrench, sanded it all down with a power sander, and put four coats of Captain's Varnish down, following the directions on the can. Put some on, let it dry, sand it with fine grit. I"m telling you it's a beautiful thing, and 'Sarah' gets all kinds of compliments at the marina where she's docked.
Don't light a fine cigar with a cheap match!

Tom (tbeames65-at-cs.com)

Return to Repair and Improvement