Looking for spur grommet setter

Moderator: GreenLake

Looking for spur grommet setter

Postby gunnerasch » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:26 am

Im now repairing sails for the boats Ive been restoring.... and am looking for a "spur grommet" setting tool of some sort. Either the hammer setting tool

http://www.sailrite.com/Die-Set-Spur-4-1-2#.U5U16nZZjng

or any of the other types, press mounted etc etc. Id prefer a size 4..but can live with a #3 in worst case.

Anyone have one kicking around in size 3 or 4..please let me know. Id be willing to buy, trade, swap or even rent for a reasonable price.

This is slightly different than a "plain grommet" setter.
#3 grommets have a 7/16 ID...#4 have a 1/2" ID

Also looking for a "sewing palm"

http://www.amazon.com/C-S-Osborne-and-C ... ewing+palm

Thanks!

Gunner
Ds-2 25709- 4845 starting restoration
https://picasaweb.google.com/104042282269066802602/Oday
Ensenada 20 (restoration complete)
Venture 224 (restoration nearly complete)
(2) Flying Juniors

Anyone want a free Ensenada 20 with no mast? I have a spare...
gunnerasch

Re: Looking for spur grommet setter

Postby jdoorly » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:36 pm

Hi Gunner,
I have a sewing palm if you want one free, but I've done some old sail rejuvination by hand and I don't think the palm works as good as a pair of pliers. Hold the needle with the pliers and push it thru however many layers of cloth you got and then pull it through on the other side, couldn't be simpler! But then, of course, there's the blood...

Hah! Not to worry, low percentage problem. I cut down and reinforced my old jib into a storm jib (the DS doesn't like being bare-headed), made a cockpit tent, and made a couple mainsail covers (one with a machine) and I'm still nearly alive!

I found that the $8 grommet tools from the local hardware worked adequately but be careful buying grommets some are solid brass while others are only 'brass finished' but no matter they both get groddy looking in sea air. Speaking of which, I'm wondering how far I have to travel to pick-up my new Ensenada 20 motor boat? I'm in cute and perky Bethel CT; 1/2 hour from lakes and rivers, 45 minutes to saltwater!
DS2 #6408 "Desperado"
jdoorly

Postby TIM WEBB » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:15 pm

Gunner,

You'll probably want spur washers for anything you'd set in your sails, so you're on the right track. I think we have a couple of #3 and #4 dies floating around the shop, as well as brass grommets, and we don't use either anymore, so I'll ask the boss if she wants to sell 'em off cheap-like. Definitely use either solid brass or SS grommets, and avoid the nickel plated brass at all costs! The SS need a press to set tho ...
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby gunnerasch » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:47 am

Tim, Id be greatly appreciative if you have something I can use. Im restoring old boats for fun and Ive come across a bunch of sails that need TLC.

I picked up a pair of Juki industrial sewing machines for $20 (Grin) but..they are only straight stitch (frown) so am trying to swap off the pair for something I can use.

Please let me know if you have setters you would swap, trade, sell or gift (Grin)

Much obliged!!

Gunner
(2) Flying Juniors

gunnerasch

Postby gunnerasch » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:56 am

jdoorly wrote:Hi Gunner,
I have a sewing palm if you want one free, but I've done some old sail rejuvination by hand and I don't think the palm works as good as a pair of pliers. Hold the needle with the pliers and push it thru however many layers of cloth you got and then pull it through on the other side, couldn't be simpler! But then, of course, there's the blood...

Hah! Not to worry, low percentage problem. I cut down and reinforced my old jib into a storm jib (the DS doesn't like being bare-headed), made a cockpit tent, and made a couple mainsail covers (one with a machine) and I'm still nearly alive!

I found that the $8 grommet tools from the local hardware worked adequately but be careful buying grommets some are solid brass while others are only 'brass finished' but no matter they both get groddy looking in sea air. Speaking of which, I'm wondering how far I have to travel to pick-up my new Ensenada 20 motor boat? I'm in cute and perky Bethel CT; 1/2 hour from lakes and rivers, 45 minutes to saltwater!

I too am only 1.5 hours from the ocean. The Pacific, out here in sunny Bakersfield, California. But you can certainly come get this one! Id be happy as a clam to hook it to the back of your vehicle! Road Trip!!

On the other hand...you are aware of two groups Im also quite active with....

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/freesailboats/info
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/sailboatstuff/info

Free to $1000 boats in the first one...$1001-$3000 boats and gear in the second one.

Now there was a couple E20s in your neck of the woods the last couple weeks for little or nothing..sign up and search for them. Generally the last month..IVe been stopping my searches just on the eastern side of Michigan..but Ill check for boats for you.

Or you can do it yourself.. www.searchtempest.com
enter your zip code, how far you are willing to go for a boat..and use the search term "sail*"
You will have to deal with "goats for sail" and such, along with windsurfing gear..but its a GREAT tool to use! Do it Saturday evening and Monday evening for the most boats found
(2) Flying Juniors

gunnerasch

Postby gunnerasch » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:05 am

jdoorly wrote:Hi Gunner,

Here ya go!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360966642480

Price is right and its not tooo far away. Not when those eastern states are smaller than our average western counties.
(2) Flying Juniors

gunnerasch

Postby TIM WEBB » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:42 am

gunnerasch wrote:Tim, Id be greatly appreciative if you have something I can use. Im restoring old boats for fun and Ive come across a bunch of sails that need TLC.

I picked up a pair of Juki industrial sewing machines for $20 (Grin) but..they are only straight stitch (frown) so am trying to swap off the pair for something I can use.

Please let me know if you have setters you would swap, trade, sell or gift (Grin)

Much obliged!!

Gunner

Sorry - Boss says she wants to hang on to them ...
Tim Webb
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby gunnerasch » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:44 am

Dang! Sigh..thanks anyways Tim. Much obliged.

Gunner, still needing spur grommet setter(s)
(2) Flying Juniors

gunnerasch

Postby TIM WEBB » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:18 pm

gunnerasch wrote:Dang! Sigh..thanks anyways Tim. Much obliged.

Gunner, still needing spur grommet setter(s)

Sorry man, I really thought she'd want to unload them ...

CS Osborne has them at fairly decent prices ...
Tim Webb
TIM WEBB

Postby Alan » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:43 pm

I'm tempted to make my own second set of reef points in an Intensity main that came with one set. A good idea, or could I wreck the sail and wish I'd paid someone to do it?
Alan

Postby GreenLake » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:11 pm

Alan, I think this is something that you ought be able to do yourself. Especially if it is a second set, so you have a model that you can follow.

Here's the questions that you'd need to have an answer to:

a) where to place them
b) where to source the materials
c) are you able to do the sewing (tools)

For the first question, I can tell from the first reef point on my sail that the location of the new clew cringle isn't the same fixed offset from the boom as for the tack. That may require a bit of research.

A sailmaker will charge about $90 for a set, last I priced that locally. Take that as ballpark. Compare with the sense of accomplishment of having mastered the skill. Priceless. I don't have a machine that can do it, nor the patience to do it by hand, so I've handed all those tasks off to a sailmaker (including a repair of a ripped clew - damage from another boat running their anchor through, it - but that's another story).

With tools, this is just the kind of limited project that's fun to do yourself, compared to, say building a whole sail.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby TIM WEBB » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:15 pm

Alan wrote:I'm tempted to make my own second set of reef points in an Intensity main that came with one set. A good idea, or could I wreck the sail and wish I'd paid someone to do it?

Alan, it's definitely doable at home. I put both sets of reef points in my main, and both work great. GL's observations are spot on tho: it's all about having access to the "stuff" you need.

Sailrite sells a jiffy reefing kit that contains everything you need, minus the sewing machine. For that, you will need access to a zig zag. Most household machines aren't up to snuff for this kind of work, but there are places where you can actually rent time on a machine. Check with your local fabric/craft/hobby/quilting supply outfit.

Since you already have a first reef point in place, you won't need a lot of the stuff that comes with the SR kit. No worries: just tell them which parts you need, and they will customize it for you. That's what I did for my second reef. It'll basically be the cloth triangles and jiffy grommets (although brass spur grommets are far superior, and the reason Gunner is looking for a die). I think they send Dacron thread as well. I did both of mine with Nylon thread, which is probably not the best, but it's what I have access to for the sewing machine I have access to ...

It helps if you have an old sail to "practice on" - picking stitches, punching grommet holes, etc.

As to the location of the cringles, it is true what GL says, that the clew one goes higher than the tack one, by about 15 degrees. The reason escapes me at the moment, but the instructions from SR show how and why ...
Tim Webb
TIM WEBB

Postby jdoorly » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:08 pm

Thanks Gunner, I appreciate the heads-up on E20's. Good luck fixin sailboats, a worthy effort on many levels!
DS2 #6408 "Desperado"
jdoorly

Return to Sails