New DS III Owner

Regarding the DS3 only. Note that the DS3 is not a class-legal Day Sailer.

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: New DS III Owner

Postby GreenLake » Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:48 am

Lucas, about your quest for launch ramps:

Many of the places I have launched used to be free and now charge some fee that is less than a movie ticket for one. I would not make that the driving factor, unless the pricing is deliberately unreasonable and intended to keep you out (because either you are not a local or because you are not a fisherman and can't recoup the cost of an annual pass). In those cases, go elsewhere, but perhaps also don't buy gas, groceries or anything else there :)

The launch I use most often is free but I like it for other reasons. Except for the peak season it's not actually very busy, and it is nicely sheltered from the wind right at the dock, so I can always sail right up to the dock and also raise the sails and sail away from the dock. The only time the paddles come out is if the wind dies completely.

The lakes are navigable waters. That means they should be covered by nautical charts for which NOAA has a free viewer. Charts do list boat ramps with a special symbol. Perhaps you can find some that you hadn't known about and can then use the web to get more information on.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby NoCashOnBoard » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:33 am

Looks like not much has happened on the DSIII forum. As I've learned there isn't much interest in them and there aren't that many of them either. It's all good as I'm using the boat to learn how to sail and not to race with. I wouldn't mind trying racing but I just don't have the time, raising my son takes everything I got. Anyway, I'm still alive and well and survived another winter here in Niagara on the Lake. I haven't been idle or hibernating, making good use of my indoor time learning about and prepping for my sailing expedition. I've read over ten books on sailing, on all subjects that include sailing basics, sail trim, weather, repair, navigation and outfitting. Sailing is a serious undertaking!

I've completed the course and passed the Canadian Pleasure Craft Operators Course (PCOC) with 96%. I took the course through the Canadian Power and Sail Squadron, I really enjoyed it and learned a lot. Even though I'm not required to have one because I don't have a motor, I still took it in case I change my mind and get a motor and besides it's all good learning especially the COLREGS section.

Equipping the boat is costing me way more than the cost of the boat itself! The life jackets for all three of us was over $300 dollars. That was a good investment. Like the saying goes in motorcycling, "If you got a $50 head then buy a $50 helmet". I have the Canadian Safe Boaters guide which is really helpful in ensuring that my boat is fully and legally equipped according to Canadian Coast Guard standards. EBay has been real helpful in finding some of my gear, I got a Danforth anchor plus chain and rode for $40! What a deal.

I know you experienced boaters and sailors are laughing your azzes off right now, I'm sure in few years I'll look back and laugh, too. Here's some photos.

Lucas Parrish
1986 DaySailer 3 (first boat ever!)
NoCashOnBoard

Postby GreenLake » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:57 pm

Lucas, looks like you are trying to live up to the old adage that B.O.A.T stands for "break out another thousand" :)

Actually, I found the DS as a hobby is relatively inexpensive. To put in into perspective, I'm spending more money per year on upkeep for my towing vehicle than I'm spending on the boat, sails, and trailer and their maintenance, or any equipment purchases.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby NoCashOnBoard » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:28 am

Thanks GreenLake. I'm thinking these expenses will cool off soon. Most of the gear should last a long time. I have yet to see the boat, so there probably are some expenses there to get her ship-shape. I spoke to the Rehoboth Bay Sailing Association club manager yesterday, he's getting the trailer ready for the road trip. He said the tires are in fair shape, those will probably need to be replaced sooner than later and the trailer coupler is rusted out. Fortunately, I bought another one as I had thought this might be the case. April 6th is the day that I'll go pick her up and see what I got to work with.

I'm still very satisfied with this purchase. I just haven't seen any other boat like the DS for sale in my area or elsewhere. No other boat fits my size and capacity requirements like the DS does. I really like the looks of the West Wight Potters, Siren 17's and Newports with their small cabins but then I'm exceeding my towing capacity for my small car. Then I saw a video on YouTube about a Wayfairer (similar to a DS - footage wise) that made a trip across the Mediterranean and down the Nile. I'm thinking this type of boat is definitely that I'm looking for.

I can't wait to give it a whirl. The snow is slowly melting and the temps are steadily climbing. I saw my first Robin today, spring is here!
Lucas Parrish
NoCashOnBoard

Postby GreenLake » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:03 am

Lucas,

just to be sure, the DS isn't quite in the same league in terms of seaworthiness as a Wayfarer, so there are some trips that people have done in the latter that it would be foolhardy to attempt in a DS... it's not clear when you look at the numbers and dimensions what makes the difference between these boats, but as much as I love the DS I wouldn't take it across the North Sea, for example :)

But I'm sure you plan to take it slowly as you get to know your boat. One thing that would make it more tolerant of changing conditions would be a way to reef your main. If your sail doesn't have them already, you could have a local loft put in a set of reef points or two. They are moderately expensive (at around $100-$150) but worth it, if you get caught out in building winds.

Definitely something to consider if you reach the point where you eventually want to get a new set of sails.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby NoCashOnBoard » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:45 pm

I got the boat home. Finally, I was able to see the boat for the first time other than from those three photographs I had from the Ebay site. I can say that I'm fairly please with my purchase and glad I made the effort to get this particular boat. After 8 hours of driving and several bureaucratic hurdles, I finally was able to park the boat in my driveway. Now, I can start to scrub it down, replace the running rigging and hoist the sails to see what they look like. The sails are supposed to be in good shape but that's a subjective term.

Greenlake - the Wayfarer. Not something I would try but this person seemed like a knowledgeable sailor. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kuy4goz3stI http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?CLASS_ID=2948

Lucas Parrish
NoCashOnBoard

Postby GreenLake » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:02 pm

Lucas,

looks like a fine boat!

But...looking at the way you strapped down your mast.... maybe you should re-think that. As shown, the mast has to hold the full mass of the rear of the boat each time the trailer hits a bump in the road and the hull wants to fly up.

For my trailer I have a simple board that has pintles that fit into the gudgeons on the transom, and that holds up the mast in transport. Then the webbing strap only holds the boat, and I have a separate strap (in my case, since I don't trailer far, just a few bungees) that hold down the mast and bracket. That way, there's also no rubbing on the hull.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby NoCashOnBoard » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:59 pm

Thanks for the tip - looking at it now and thinking about what you said, it doesn't look like a good idea. I think I was freaking out a bit when I loaded up the boat and hooked it to my car. Monday was a hell of a day with all of the bureaucratic hoops, the long drive and towing with the Versa for the first time. I'm learning as I go and so much to learn about. I'm so overwhelmed! :shock:

Hopefully the weather will improve this weekend and I can bring the mast up and sort out all of the lines. I think all of the running rigging needs to be replaced, the standing rigging looks in good shape.

Thanks for the help on this! :D
Lucas Parrish
NoCashOnBoard

Postby NoCashOnBoard » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:16 pm

Anyone have pictures of how to rig the running lines on this boat? I finally got time today to unwrap all the lines wrapped around the mast. What a mess. I've looked through all the pictures in the gallery and search all the post for anything that will help. I also have a Day Sailer rigging instructions but nothing is clear in there that shows how the main halyard is supposed to go through the cheek blocks up to the mast head sheave to the headboard on the main. I also have a set of double rollers on each block, don't know what that is for. There is also a block hanging just above and just below the forestay tang. I'm thinking one of those is for the jib sheet. There is also two large rings on the lower third of the mast, not sure what they are for. I'll go take some pictures, see what you think.
Lucas Parrish
NoCashOnBoard

Postby GreenLake » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:43 pm

Lucas, a partial answer.

First, the mast rings are intended for a spinnaker pole or whisker pole.
Second, the block above the forestay is for a spinnaker. Did your boat come with one? Or is it merely that the mast is set up that way?
Third, the block below the forestay is for the jib halyard.
Fourth, the main halyard, if it is an external one, normally runs this way. It's connected to the headboard, runs up along the backside of the main, over both rollers at the top of the mast, then down in front. Here's where the setups differ. My mast simply has a horn cleat on the mast. Some masts have cheek blocks (or other blocks near the base of the mast) allowing the halyard to continue to a cleat on the deck. (One variant has the cleat and block as combination).

For test-stepping your mast, you need to feed jib halyard and main through the block below the forestay, or through the masthead, respectively (and losely tie the ends to the mast base so they are out of the way). Then, after the mast is raised, you can tie one end each to a sail and for the other end find which combination of blocks near the mast base allows them to be lead to a cleat.

If there is an extra cleat (or two) and an extra block (or two) after you are done, then those might be for a spinnaker halyard and spinnaker pole controls. Those would be out of your league at this point, I'm guessing, so even if you had them, I wouldn't worry about them.

Some boats may have a bit of a purchase (block and tackle) to allow more tension on the halyard, particularly the jib halyard. I'm sure you can recognize one if you see it, so let us know if there's one and you don't know how to rig it. That would be nonstandard and require a good picture. It also would require the halyard to be in two pieces, with a separate line for the block and tackle part. (But I wouldn't expect this for a non-racing boat).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby klb67 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:44 pm

Open the ODay I manual linked on the main webpage - it has pictures that should be close enough even though you have a DS III. It shows the cheek blocks on each side of the mast - picture 4 specifically (1 for main halyard, 1 on the other side for jib halyard). If you have more cheek blocks, the 3rd would be for spinnaker halyard, and a 4th for a lift for the spinnaker pole. The main halyard runs through the cheek block, up the front of the mast, back through the sheaves at the top of the mast, and down the back of the mast to the head of the mainsail.

Your pics show you have a fairlead and I think a cam cleat on each side for the jib sheets - each sheet would run from the clew in the jib sail around either side of the mast and through the fairlead.

You should have 3 wire stays, one to the bow and one to each side - your pictures show the deck hardware they attach to.

With multiple blocks on the front of the mast, you may be set up for a spinnaker. The jib halyard should go through the lower of the blocks, I think, and down to the head of the jib sail. If you raise the jib and its too low, then use the higher block.

With an outhaul for the main sail, that should be it for the basic set up.
1976 DSII - #8039
klb67

Postby GreenLake » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:54 pm

The link for the O'Day Manual, I think that's the one the klb67 meant.

Not all the photos are actually of DaySailers but some of them show typical arrangements for the halyards at the mast bottom. Also, if you have a "U" shaped fitting that points aft at the very deck level, that would be for the vang - and the vang, if you have one, is a block and tackle and therefore has blocks with multiple "rollers" as you call them. You can see that in one of the pictures.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby NoCashOnBoard » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:40 am

Thanks for the information. That helps out a lot. I'll have to step the mast and see how it goes. I'll take pictures of any confusion I have.

What is your recommendation for raising the mast with the tabernacle? I'm thinking I need to build a crutch to hold the mast at cabin height and get that first pin in there. Then I can use the trailer winch to raise the mast and hold it to put the second pin in. Then unhook the winch and connect the forestay. I'm glad I'm doing this in my driveway so only my neighbors can laugh. :D
Lucas Parrish
NoCashOnBoard

Postby klb67 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:51 am

For trailering, I have a mast support that hooks into the rudder gudgeons, and another mast support on the trailer tongue. I slide the mast back until I can get the rear pin in. Side stays are installed. I can raise the mast standing in the boat, and once it is up, can steady it until I get the front pin in. Then attach the front stay. As long as it isn't windy, it is not too bad. I leave my mast up all summer so I'm not raising and lowering it often.
1976 DSII - #8039
klb67

Postby K.C. Walker » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:45 am

I almost always raise the mast by myself. After installing the rear pin (I leave the shrouds attached), I walk the mast up by hoisting it on my shoulder while at the back of the cockpit, press it overhead and hand over hand walking forward. It really is not that heavy. I used the jib halyard to hold the mast in place while I go forward to pin the headstay. I like fairly high rig tension so I use block and tackle on the jib halyard to tension the rig before pinning. I have used the trailer winch but find the block and tackle quicker.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

PreviousNext

Return to Day Sailer III Only