Manufacturer question, 1959 Day Sailor 1

Moderator: GreenLake

Manufacturer question, 1959 Day Sailor 1

Postby Guest » Fri May 23, 2003 11:22 am

I am considering buying a Day Sailor 1, sail No.163, built 1959 Seller claim
s manufacturer was Marscott. Does any one know about this company and is this a Day Sailor. Every one I have spoken with does not know of this company.
Thanks,
Peter

Peter (canyon173-at-aol.com)

Postby Peter McMinn » Fri May 23, 2003 1:04 pm

I have a '60 DS1built by O'Day, #568. A look at informatio>hull numbers on this site shows only O'Day as the manufacturer in those early years. Curious to know if there was another, though.
Peter McMinn

Postby Guest » Fri May 23, 2003 5:05 pm

I bought DS 129, last fall. A metal nameplate affixed to the rear coaming piece identifies it as being built by Marscott, with hull # and class # 129. Mainsail has DS logo with # 129, so we must be pretty close to being twins. All outwards apperances are of an ODay DS for sure. What I don't have are any stern cleats for tie up and no idea as to what reinfocing is in the stern deck area to screw fastenings thereto. Condition wasn't too bad after I got off a couple of coats of ratty paint from all over it. Hope to be sailing soon, good luck with yours.

DS 129 (ghampe-at-rcn.com)

Postby Guest » Sat May 24, 2003 12:00 pm

Follow up, reading from nameplate: "Made By / MARSCOT PLASTICS, INC / New Bedford, MA / for / G. D. O'DAY ASSOCIATES, INC / Boston, MA / Hull No 1979 Class No 129 " Hope this clarifies situation for you.

Postby Guest » Mon May 26, 2003 10:50 pm

When adding "mooring" cleats to any boat, if at all possible they should always be through-bolted with a backing plate or at least large fender washers to back up the bolts. Cleats should NEVER be simply screwed onto the deck! Fiberglass will not hold screws under the strain of a cleat. Backing plates can be metal (aluminum works well, 1/4" thick) or plywood, use of a polymer like "Starboard" is also a good choice and avoids potentioal for rot.

As others have already noted, the early O'Days (before 1960 or so) were actually built by Marscot Plastics and sold (distributed) by George O'Day Associates. O'Day did not actually build boats until Marscot wisned to discontinue building sailboats to concentrate on their powerboats. At that time George O'Day formed a boatbuilding company to build the O'Day Sailboats.

Rod Johnson, SUNBIRD (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Postby Guest » Tue May 27, 2003 9:35 am

Rod, on cleats, point well taken. Problem is all the rear deck and side decks are part of the flotation tank and wondered if anybody ever cut into these for access. I am very, very reluctant to do so. Traveler blocks, gudgeons, outboard mount backups were probably installed before deck and hull were mated. I may have to live without the stern cleats, but won't be too happy. Best I start a new thread.

Postby Roger » Tue May 27, 2003 4:10 pm

I was wanting to cut into the bouyancy tanks for a similar reason, to install, spinnaker sheet block backing plates. I was recently into the forward bulkhead to replace the boweye on the weekend. I still have abraded knuckles from picking out a foam tunnel to the back of the boweye. I am wondering if the side bouyancy is also foam filled or if they are air tight and hollow?
Roger

Return to History