Launching witha hoist

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Launching witha hoist

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 29, 2003 1:15 pm

My wife and I have just bought a 1979 DSII. While I have sailed quite a bit this is our first boat, and my first experience with a trailer!
The club where we keep our boat does not have a ramp and does not provide slings for hoisting.
Can someone tell me what kind of around hull sling works best or if suitable attachment points can be made to the boat for hoisting?

Michael Farrell (mbfarrel-at-pacbell.net)

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 29, 2003 2:42 pm

For two years I lifted the boat by the chainplates with no problem. I used tanges attached to the bottom clevis pins that stayed on the boat all the time. I use a three point suspension...the single aft rope goes out through the drain hole in the transom..then up the outside of the transom at a diaganal....and then is attached to an aft docking cleat. You can adjust this at the last minute before hoisting to determine the angle of the boat. This year I added U bolts about 2 inches aft of the chainplates one on each side. They are about $6 each at a marine store.........and come with two backing plates. One goes on deck and the other goes under.Just extra piece of mind. You can use one of the grey security cables from home depot for the side to side cable. For the aft point a pice of 7/16 line is fine. If the boat is rigged, disconnect the topping lift if you have one and lay the back of the boom in the cockpit. Makes things alot easier positioning the boat.I watched a guy launch a flying scott today and noticed that they attach a tange to the bakc of the centerboard trunk, and have another that goes under the fordeck somewheres. that allows a two point suspension.

Harris (hg-at-myhost.com)

Postby Bob Hunkins » Mon Jun 30, 2003 10:18 am

You might want to ask someone at your club for some help. If there are other Day Sailers there, I'm sure they'd be glad to assist you. If not, I'm sure anyone who uses the hoist has tackled this problem.

Here's what I did:
I bought a 3" D-ring, four karabiners, and two 1-1/2" dia. rings (all stainless). An appropriately sized u- shackle would probably work, too. When I set my mast up, I put the two rings in a space between chainplate and U-bolt on the turnbuckle. I took four lengths of line, (3/8" double braid worked for me as it was what I had handy. It's just needs to be able to support the weight of the boat.) I attached the karabiners to the ends of each of the lines and the D-ring to the other ends of the lines.
I attached the karabiners to the two stern eyes on the boat and the other two to the rings at the chainplates. I went to the hoist, connected it to the D ring and slowly raised the boat up a little bit, just enough to check the balance. Then I lowered it, and shortened or lengthened each line as necessary to get the boat to balance on the hoist. It took several repetitions of lifting and lowering the boat to get it right. The lines running to the stern were much longer than the lines to the chainplates. The D ring when held up taught by the hoist is on the boat's centerline and in a position almost directly above the point where the centerboard pivots.
Try that as a starting place - be careful and get someone experienced there to help you if you aren't sure. Your rig may be set up differently, so you may need to find a different way to connect the lifting harness. Some folks use a three point system, where the boat is connected to the chainplates and a point on the centerline of the boat. I don't like using an open drainport as an attach point because when you lower the boat into the water you have to scramble to get the drain plug in and then you have to bail out the water that got in. If you want to use cleats make sure they are backed up with sound wood or metal.

Good luck!
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Return to Repair and Improvement