New Guy! Just got a DS III

Regarding the DS3 only. Note that the DS3 is not a class-legal Day Sailer.

Moderator: GreenLake

New Guy! Just got a DS III

Postby morrisammo » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:31 pm

Just got a fixer-upper,,,

hope I can find the parts needed,

the rigging is looking bad!

I had to get new tires, so I can get it home then I'll be able to pull all the stuff out and make a real assessment of what is needed.

I hope some of you can send me some Links, on good places to get parts!

I can't wait to get back on the water,, it has been many many years!

Jim
morrisammo

Re: New Guy! Just got a DS III

Postby morrisammo » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:40 pm

New boat.jpg
New boat.jpg (67.79 KiB) Viewed 18218 times
morrisammo

Postby DigitalMechanic » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:53 pm

Congrats on your newly acquired DS III. You are in the right spot. I recently acquired my boat about a year ago, and the folks on this forum have been a great resource of priceless information, and very eager to help. I have even got to meet and sail with a couple of them. Great community :)

D&R Marine (Rudy Nickerson) http://www.drmarine.com (508) 644-3001- Go ahead and save his number in your phone. He has tons of advice and should be the first stop for all parts O'day. Actually he is pretty much O'Day at this point ;) Great guy, very willing to help. He used to work for O'Day when they were still in business, and since they have closed he has continued to make and supply parts so we can keep sailing our boats.

Beyond that, for more custom stuff, I have used http://www.defender.com for a lot of my stuff. They have a pretty big inventory and ship fast. I am sure that you will get a bunch of other great suggestions as well. And I know someone is going to shun me for this one, but I have occasionally used West Marine (what we have around here) when I absolutely have to touch something before I buy it.

I know the rigging is the first place I started. Especially the standing rigging (mine broke on me on the water :shock: ). Rudy makes an updated 1/8th inch setup that has worked out great for me. Make sure to go over all your rivets on the mast and boom as well. The original ones were aluminum, and there is a good chance they need attention :) I have replaced mine (especially on the shroud tangs) with stainless steel rivets. As for the running rigging, I think I have changed it all out as well for the most part. You will probably get a lot of different suggestions on that as well concerning size and material, as I think there are many ways to go depending on your personal tastes.

Nice picture of the boat! Are you located in Texas?

Welcome to the forum! Cheers!
DigitalMechanic

Postby morrisammo » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:03 pm

Thanks for the info and kind word's,,

Yup Killeen Texas, that's north of Austin one hour drive time.

I grew in in Quincy Mass, lots of O Day,, back in the day!

my fathers buddy had one,, I remember sailing in it once,,

Good to know I can get parts,, I did order some,, but will get in more detail,,

soon as I get out of work,, I need to go get, Her!! ( no name yet)
morrisammo

Postby DigitalMechanic » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:22 pm

I have had mine a year now and no name for her as well.

My brother (Army) was just out there at Fort Hood for some training earlier this year (prior to being shipped off to Korea).

There is a fleet in your area (fleet #135) about 2.5hrs south in Canyon Lake. John Alesch (jsteadx) on the forum, is running that group, owns a bunch of O'Days, and probably would be a great local source of info. Hopefully he will chime in :)

Yes, please go get your new (to you) boat! Congrats!

-Paul
DigitalMechanic

Postby jeadstx » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:22 am

It's actually jeadstx. I'm in Dripping Springs, Tx and would be happy to help with any restoration questions. Congratulations on getting your boat.

I sail on Canyon Lake where we just formed Fleet 135. Three DS II boats in the fleet currently.

As suggested, D&R Marine is the best source for most things Day Sailer. There is also Cape Cod Shipbuilding which are the current builders of the Day Sailer. D&R has parts specific to the DS III. The DS I and DS II boats have more parts in common that the DS III due to O'Day changing some of the dimensions on the DS III, but many parts still interchange. Changing out the standing rigging from the original 3/32" to the upgraded 1/8" is a good first start. Duckworks is a good source for line. In Austin you have both a West Marine (hwy 183 & Burnet Rd.) and the Sailboat Shop at the intersection of Hwy 620 and Hudson Bend Rd. If you need any sail repair done, Bartlett sails are located on Hudson Bend Rd. a mile or two from the Sailboat Shop.

Your welcome to contact me, I can perhaps drive up that way, it's not far.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby DigitalMechanic » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:31 am

Sorry John, I think a little dyslexia kicked in and I messed up jeadstx ;)

Congrats on Fleet 135 by the way :)
DigitalMechanic

Postby morrisammo » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:42 am

Outstanding!

Good to know you folks are out their,, knowing where to go is a big deal.

Thanks for the John,, tip and john thanks for chiming in!

I got the boat home last night, I'll pull all the stuff out tonight to see what I have,, looks like two sets of sails , rolled up,, not looking good!

I'll know more, after spreading it out over the yard.
morrisammo

Postby jeadstx » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:29 pm

No problem DigitalMechanic. Happens a lot. Not near as bad as my last name gets mangled and mispronounced. Thanks for the "congrats" for Fleet 135.

Morrisammo, pulling everything out of the boat to figure out what you have is always interesting. I just bought a Day Sailer I to add to my "fleet" (personal boats) in addition to my Day Sailer II. Finally unfolded the second main that came with it Sunday and re-rolled it up. It had been sitting in a sail bag for 20+ years unused. I'm making my list of upgrades for the boat.

These boats are fun to work on as well as sail.

John
Early Rhodes 19
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
jeadstx

Postby TIM WEBB » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:27 pm

Wow John, your O'day collection just keeps growing!

Funny story, but as you know, I work in the parachute industry. Most recreational skydivers have one or two, maybe three harness/container systems, usually of different makes/models. There is a gal just north of you in Salado who has 14 of our rigs! She's a bit of a "brand collector", same as you are with O'day ... ;-P
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby jeadstx » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:07 am

Yea, the O'Day collection seems to keep growing. The DS I is the one you made comments to on Facebook. I posted some pictures in the DS I section. I plan to use the boat more as a loaner to members of the Hill Country Yacht Club (HCYC) who race the large boats but are interested in small boat sailing/racing as well. At least that's my twisted plan to help introduce others to the Day Sailer Class boats and help grow Fleet 135. I don't really care that much about racing (although I raced my DS II last weekend), but told the others I would support the development of a fleet. I really prefer my camp cruising, but I'm spoiled by coastal sailing since I started doing the Tx200.

John
Early Rhodes 19
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
jeadstx

Postby TIM WEBB » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:42 am

The "loaner plan" sounds like a good plan to me!
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby morrisammo » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:12 pm

Got the boat emptied out,,, talked to John Bartlett yesterday,,, boxed up the two mains and one Jib Hope he can fit them up and I think he can, Had another Jib,, it was WAY to far gone.

Ordered a bunch of parts from D&R marine I hope all the parts fit ok.

The trailer needs some work, and the boat needs a lil fiberglass repair and a good paint job,, I need to devise a plan to move the boat off the trailer and on to a saw horse cradle so I can sand and paint the hull, and do some fix up changes and some wielding on the trailer.

as long as the parts fit and the sails get fixed up ok,,, should be in good shape,,,

looking forward to working on it,, reminds me a bit of Building a boat, with my father growing up,, , and of course sailing it,

You folks are great,,, thanks for the leads of where to go to get stuff done!!!
morrisammo

Postby GreenLake » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:28 pm

Getting the boat off the trailer for painting - check around in the forum for discussions on that.

If you have helpers (2-3) easiest is to "launch" the boat onto the hard (carpet), flip it over and drop it onto something like old tires. Then lift front and back alternately and put some supports until you reach the correct height to work on it. Stacks of lumber work well, or a mix of concrete bricks topped with lumber. At the final height you can also insert a saw horse if you feel that adds stability.

It's a quick and painless process. Well worth the beers or pizza or whatever bribe you need for your helpers.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby jeadstx » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:30 pm

I just "launched" my Beetle Boat Swan onto a few hay bales so I could work on the trailer. Hay bales are relatively inexpensive and about the right height to come off the trailer.

John
Early Rhodes 19
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
jeadstx

Next

Return to Day Sailer III Only