Mast flotation

Regarding the DS3 only. Note that the DS3 is not a class-legal Day Sailer.

Moderator: GreenLake

Mast flotation

Postby tinafred » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:29 pm

I just replaced my mast and opened the top, middle and bottom of the old mast without evidence of any foam or other floatation items noted. Someone had posted they thought the 1980's DS 3 had something in the top most portion of the mast. Not in mine.

As a side note, I bought insurance for $150/yr, filed a claim 3 months later for a new mast plus all rigging. Insurance did not bat an eye, paid for the whole thing plus a few extras. Only got stuck for a small deductible, they paid $2,200. Did pretty good at the metal recycle center for the Al.

Please do not asked, I did a very dumb thing and lost my mast.
tinafred

Re: Mast flotation

Postby GreenLake » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:25 pm

Most accidents involve at least some "dumb thing" or other. Some even involve a "very dumb thing" or two.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Solarwinds » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:24 pm

Can I ask who your coverage is with? My coverage with Boat U.S. costs about $ 150 per year but is just for third party liability.
Solarwinds

Postby GreenLake » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:28 am

I found that some home owners policies will insure small boats (and unless they are motorboats you are even allowed to race them). The same company sells a liability umbrella, that ups the limits on all liability insurance to some higher value. The amount is not much more than the coverage you cite, but by being general, it seems a better deal. Might be worth talking to your agent.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Solarwinds » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:53 am

I've never made use of the insurance provided for boats under 22 ft by my homeowner's policies because you just never know how much damage you can do and I never wanted my boat linked to my home. I can just imagine how much my homeowner's would go up following a payout of $2200.- for a new mast. Or how much it would cost and how difficult it would be if they dropped me the following year and I had to go out into the "market" with a recent claim.
That's why I asked tinafred who the carrier was. I had Boat U.S. coverage during Sandy when I had my Catalina 25. THEY called ME to see if I had any damage so I think they're a good company. I didn't really dwell on the insurance for my DS1, just bought whatever Boat U.S. offered me but they didn't offer me anything besides liability for the same $150 that tinafred pays.
Solarwinds

Postby tinafred » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:15 pm

I have Allstate for home and car. Added a third separate boat policy with a great deal of help by the personnel in my agents office both before and after the accident. I bought a 1986 DS3 with a very oversized trailer (13 in wheels), new 2 ton motor lift, 8 very new auto PFD with some still in packing, 2 anchors, new sails, and a very new Tohatsu 3 1/2 hp 4 stroke motor for $2,500. I insured all of this stuff for $3,500 with a $500 deductible for $150/yr. I will be get a check within 7 days from now and will update with final bill for the repair as well as total Allstate check.

I can not say enough good things about my insurance agent, her staff, everyone on this forum, and my wife for putting up with me. Ya'll have been great. Lastly, I read all the positive remarks about D&R Marine and took them with a grain of salt. I should not have. They where truly a blessing for this lost soul who had a sailboat without a mast. So whatever kind word you may hear or read about that company, believe me it is the truth. They are on the top of my Christmas list.
tinafred

Postby tinafred » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:03 pm

Allstate paid $1,700 for my accident with my bill from D&R Marine $1,800. I got a new jib with furler, new mast plus all new running/standing rigging and all associated hardware. I will gladly pay the $150/yr for the insurance. Again, thanks for everyone's help.

Ps, no increase in policy cost.
tinafred

Postby KingsTransom » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:30 pm

One way to tell if your mast or boom has foam in it, without opening it up, is to hang it horizontal by ropes and knock on it. I store my mast and boom in the basement, hanging from ropes on the floor joists, and they ring like a bell. Foam would damp the ringing to a dull thud. Curiously, the mast base has foam, visible through the open bottom.
KingsTransom

Postby KingsTransom » Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:57 pm

Would swimming pool noodles on the shrouds, between the tang and the spreaders, screw up the air flow enough to be noticeable? It is a convenient mounting point, and I only consider it training wheels until I get the rig dialed in and see how she sails.
KingsTransom

Postby GreenLake » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:15 pm

Just go out in winds under 15 knots in the gusts and you should have no need for "training wheels".
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Day Sailer III Only