condition/buying advice

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

condition/buying advice

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 29, 2003 1:04 pm

Hoped someone might be able to help with some advice.
I'm looking at an Oday daysailor (1979) with the thought of purchasing but noticed a few things. Wondered if you could tell me whether to be concerned or not.
1) much water (probably rain) found via inspection plate in both sides of cockpit sub hull
2) Mast compression tube (brace between deck mast step and floor of forward compartment) loose and floor underneath can flex slightly
3) hull shape deformed while sitting on trailer (haven't seen it off trailer)
The rest seem minor
Any observations on the above would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Bill

Bill Goldman (wganswers-at-comcast.net)

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 29, 2003 1:39 pm

Bill, your #1 might not be a serious issue, but your #2 and #3 are a concern. Discribe the distortion that you see in #3 in particular. Some would draw a conclusion that this boat went through some rough times.

David Riley (driley-at-ngc.edu)

Postby Roger » Wed Oct 29, 2003 8:29 pm

With a mirror and flashlight down the inspection port, you should be able to see fibreglass supports down either side of the centerboard, and along both chines as well as a support under the mast compression post where it attaches to the 'floor' of the cuddy. Some delamination or poor finishing is typically at construction, but there should be no tears, taps, splits, or broken fiberglass support wall visible. I will send you a personal e-mail with pictures of what you should see.

Please discribe the distortion in more detail. There is some recurve under the hull about 3 or 4 feet forward of the stern quarter that I at first mistook as hull distrotion, but it was identical on both sides.

Hope this helps.

Roger
Roger

Return to Repair and Improvement