Good Cheap Cover for Storing with Mast on Top

Moderator: GreenLake

Good Cheap Cover for Storing with Mast on Top

Postby waterbug » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:46 pm

Hello!

I have daysailor copy, a sailstar explorer. My boat has holders that carry the mast on the boat, about 6" above the bow and about 2' above the stern. I was thinking of buying a good canvas tarp as a cover, that would essentially tent the boat. Is there any better options anyone knows of, or is there any advice anyone has about this topic?

Thanks,

Peter.
waterbug

Re: Good Cheap Cover for Storing with Mast on Top

Postby GreenLake » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:03 pm

I find that tarps do quite well - shorter life-span than a canvas cover, but I have to park under trees, and keeping any cover clean for multiple seasons would be challenge. I tend to get about two-three years out of a tarp and use the older ones on top of the more recent ones to limit discoloration and to avoid rain getting in through weak spots.

Back to your project: there's no reason why you couldn't tent using a canvas tarp (or a custom fitted canvas cover) using the mast as support. (I've since added a third support at the bow, but never noticed any ill effects of not supporting the mast there, earlier).

I think of the big opening at the back as a feature (ventilation) and have never observed any evidence of critters getting in.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby waterbug » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:24 pm

Thank you! What size do you find is best? 10 x 20?
waterbug

Postby Alan » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:58 pm

I use 10X20 white tarps from Home Depot (two of them overlapped, because the mast is longer than 20 feet). I've gotten at least three years out of the current set with no sign of deterioration. Silver or gray tarps that I've used turn into a crumbly disposal problem in less time than that.
Alan

Postby GreenLake » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:58 pm

Agree on the white tarps. Even after they finally give in to crumble their dust isn't as obnoxious. But they do seem to last longer.

10x20 works well - in years past I've special-ordered 12x20, those reach down the side a bit, a consideration if your hull is unpainted and you'd like to cut the UV exposure of the gelcoat a bit. Downside is that it can trap moisture, which the shorter tarp does not; and, if your storage site is exposed to wind, you need to make sure the tarp can't flap against the hull. Both are (relative) non-issues for the narrower tarps.

I don't attempt to cover the entire mast - out of season I'll remove halyards etc., but, as I wrote, I'll double up the tarps putting the older one out to keep the newer one from discoloring due to leaves etc. In season, I use only the newer tarp.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby K.C. Walker » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:35 pm

I've got to get a white tarp I guess. I've been using green tarps because they blend into my woods better. When they crumble they are obnoxious. The 10 x 20 is my preferred size. I cut up old pieces of tarp and cover the ends of the mast and leave the halyards.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby Baysailer » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:26 pm

I had to give up on tarps for winter covers, the winds here are to unrelenting in the winter. They will only last a year and pelt the hull. I flipped it and stored upside down a few years now just park it in the barn. While not cheap I like what this company does and if I stored outside the investment would be worth it.

http://www.fishercanvas.com/
Baysailer

Return to Miscellaneous