PHRF Rating

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

PHRF Rating

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 28, 2003 3:07 am

I have #2277, which is a DS I. This boat is spinnaker rigged, and uses all original equipment. I can't locate a PHRF number; which I need to race on my local lake. Does anyone know the number (locale is Eagle Mountain Lake, Fort Worth, Texas) and the source of the number so that my local club can confirm it? Thanks.

Edwin Youngblood (Talllaw-at-AOL.com)

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 28, 2003 11:08 pm

According to the "2003 TABLE OF NORTH AMERICAN PORTSMOUTH NUMBERS" that you can find at the US Sailing Association website ( ussailing.org ) the Dixie Portsmouth Rating (DPN) for the Oday Daysailor is 99.0. I have seen a formula for converting DPN to PHRF as follows: PHRF = 6 X DPN - 330. Thus the PHRF for the Daysailer is 264. I don't know if this conversion formula is 'official' or just an estimate.

Mike McDonald (mikemcdonald-at-mn.rr.com)

Postby Roger » Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:40 pm

I am not a racer so these numbers are foreign to me. I assume they are used to calculate a handicap for multi-class races??? I have a DS II; is it rated identically? Do tell more please.
Roger

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 31, 2003 11:19 am

You are correct. These numbers are handicaps used to adjust racing times for different classes of sailboats. DPN, or Dixie Portsmouth Number, is most common for smaller sailboats like our Daysailer. PHRF, or Performance Handicap Racing Fleets, is more commonly used for larger, cruising keelboats. In both systems a lower rating indicates a faster boat. Obviously these handicaps are only needed when different types of sailboats are sailing in the same race.
Or they can be interesting just to compare the relative speeds of different sailboat classes. I have never seen a separate rating for the DSII so I would assume it is the same as the DSI.

MikeMc (mikemcdonald-at-mn.rr.com)

Re: PHRF Rating

Postby Jackpeak130 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:17 pm

Does anyone inow the handicap rating for an ODay 17, as in PHRF RATING?
Jackpeak130

Re: PHRF Rating

Postby GreenLake » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:24 am

AFAIK, PHRF is for keelboats. The earlier post gives a conversion number from DPN to PHRF if that helps you.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Day Sailer I Only