Do you run jib sheets inside or outside the shrouds?

Moderator: GreenLake

Do you run jib sheets inside or outside the shrouds?

Postby fatjackdurham » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:55 pm

Do you guys run your jib sheets inside or outside your shrouds? I am asking because I saw an article about using an in haul on the jib sheets and they were running them inside the shrouds.

I don't have a boom vang yet, so i am limited by how close I can haul the main sheet and have it be effective. My experience was that running the sheets inside the shroud caused the main to billow. Maybe with a vang that wouldn't happen. What are your thoughts?
fatjackdurham

Re: Do you run jib sheets inside or outside the shrouds?

Postby GreenLake » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:11 am

Inside. Definitely.

The vang has an effect if the boom is off center. When the boom is (nearly) centered, the vang and sheet would pull in the same direction and you couldn't tell apart their contributions.

What's the condition of your sail, how much outhaul, luff tension do you apply and what wind conditions are you sailing.

The inhauls are useful in medium strong winds (something like 8-10 knots) when they allow the jib to be set up for better pointing.

I've seen "speed bubbles" on other boats, where the front of the main will backwind a little - don't really see that on my DS in the conditions I tend to sail in.

So, I don't know what your issue would be. (Are you sailing close hauled? With jib sheeted outside, it would seem you are sailing off the wind a bit).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Re: Do you run jib sheets inside or outside the shrouds?

Postby fatjackdurham » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:14 am

Thanks, that's how I'll do it.
fatjackdurham

Return to Rigging