Ideas on repairing Cuddy crown

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: Ideas on repairing Cuddy crown

Postby Lil Maggie » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:00 pm

Final report on the cuddy repair:
All I can say is WOW...what a difference a stiff cuddy makes...I would recommend the laminated beam to anyone with the same issues I had. I think I could even dispense with the cuddy jack post except it holds my compass and other ehem....navigational aids (GPS)...plopped myself over that cuddy several times while rigging, on the dock and even under way and not a twitch!...solid!
Now I'm done patting myself in the back

Mike
A crappy day sailing is better than a good one at home...
DS 1 #2313
Lil Maggie

Postby GreenLake » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:17 am

Congratulations!

As you write, there's no need for a post at the front of the cuddy, other than to serve as a replacement for a bulkhead's other functions: compass holder, etc. If you need one for strength, you have other issues.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Lil Maggie » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:35 pm

GreenLake wrote:Congratulations!

As you write, there's no need for a post at the front of the cuddy, other than to serve as a replacement for a bulkhead's other functions: compass holder, etc. If you need one for strength, you have other issues.

I found the post superlative when I tested the beam right after finishing it. I had removed one of the thru-bolts that attaches the post to the keelson and swung it out of the way to facilitate glassing, etc...I put the post as a temporary measure; now its job is to just hold up the compass and GPS!

M
DS 1 #2313
Lil Maggie

Postby GreenLake » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:14 pm

superlative?

I think you mean redundant. (As in, superfluous... :) )
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Lil Maggie » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:53 pm

darn autocorrect....superfluous it is
M
DS 1 #2313
Lil Maggie

Postby GreenLake » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:02 am

Gets you every time :)

I tend to enjoy the weird suggestions that pop up for proper nautical terms...
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Lil Maggie » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:27 pm

oh no...after last night's embarrassment I put a bullet on the robot's head....hard to type on those silly "smart" phones anyway; after that flop it made me look anything but smart. One comment/worry about my beam is the width of f/g tape I used for it (6"), only left about 1-1/2" in contact with the cuddy ceiling...so am considering laying a wider layer (8") over the two layers I already have. The fiberglass cloth was not laid in one continuous piece from port to starboard; it breaks around the block I glued to support the "jack" (provisional repair), plus I used ~6"x6" squares on the ends of the beam. Probably worrying about nothing, but these are the things one does to sleep better at night.

M
DS 1 #2313
Lil Maggie

Postby GreenLake » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:39 pm

I would say there's little benefit in doubling up the tape along the "crown" of the beam, but there may be some benefits to looking at the connection beam to deck. F/G does not do well on tight curves, so if you didn't fillet that transition, you might do that now to a gentle(r) curve and tape over it again, overlapping the deck more widely, to perhaps 2" (that should be enough).

Or you can leave it alone and watch for any signs of stress first.

However, ---- I assume you also glued the beam to the deck, so I think that bond doesn't rely as much on the tape as you might think...

Sleep soundly.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Lil Maggie » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:19 pm

Oh yes, that beam was glued and clamped to the underside of the cuddy; I took 60 grit sandpaper block to the area to be glued...but you're right, it might be alright
M
DS 1 #2313
Lil Maggie

Postby GreenLake » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:53 am

Should look up the pounds per square inch for epoxy and multiply by the surface area of that glue joint. Can you support the boat weight on it? (rhetorical question, I know :)
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Lil Maggie » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:15 am

Well...must have done something right....came first in (dinghy) class and second overall on last race of the season...thirty seconds behind the lead boat (a laser), whom not 5 minutes before I was slightly ahead of (we crossed with him downwind of me)...the boat's behavior in the wind (10 kts steady with puffs to 15 kts....just below whitecaps forming).

The boat is stiffer...I did hear a few quiet creaks like the sound rice crispies make...but only a few, and afterwards I didn't notice any cracks forming, but again I didn't look that hard...too excited to cross that finish line a point free and doing 5.5 kts...with my seven-year-old as crew...

I just went outside and gave it a good look....no cracks!

Mike
DS 1 #2313
Lil Maggie

Postby GreenLake » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:02 pm

Congrats on a job well done (and a race well sailed!)
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Previous

Return to Repair and Improvement