Golden oldies and setting sail

Moderator: GreenLake

Golden oldies and setting sail

Postby talbot » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:08 am

The forum occasionally sends me notices of new postings on topics I have contributed to. But when I click on the link in the notice, it goes to a topic that we haven't discussed in a couple of years. I'm concerned that the forum is beginning to resemble me: Prone to retelling old stories, as if anyone hasn't heard them before.

Vaguely related to that issue is news that "Blue Moon" is for sale. I'm asking $3050 on craigslist (https://eugene.craigslist.org/boa/d/oday-day-sailer/6435614592.html), which is a lot for a generic DS II. But Blue Moon is not a generic DS II, and in fact on Saturday, I will be sailing with prospective buyers. I have strongly urged them to visit the forum, particularly since the "service record" of the boat is documented here. If they (or anyone else) takes the boat, I hope they will be welcomed here with the enthusiasm and advice that has been such an important part of our sailing experience the past 10 years.

Assuming Blue Moon eventually finds a new skipper, I will be found over on the Precision forum at trailersailer.com, asking all the same questions again about the new boat.

Talbot
Precision 21 "Starlight"
talbot

Re: Golden oldies and setting sail

Postby TIM WEBB » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:44 pm

Talbot, I hope you find a good home for Blue Moon, and happy sailing with the Precision. Those are great boats, and my Rebel Spindrift 22 is a forerunner of the Precision boats (same designer - Jim Taylor). Forum member ChrisB also moved up to a Precision boat, a 16.

I too was forced to sell my DS due to a cross country move, but I still enjoy perusing this forum to keep up with what's going on in the DS world, and to offer assistance to others based on my 11 years sailing the DS. That and the fact that there is virtually zero online presence for the Spindrift! While it's true that there is a lot of rehashing of old topics on here, I still enjoy reading about the ways that new DS owners address their particular issues.
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby talbot » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:47 pm

A Spindrift 22 showed up for repair in the boatyard where I winter my P21, Apparently destined for a berth at the coast. Will try to contact the owner to see how the boat functions on the Pacific.

The DS and 21/22' Taylor boats have similar length booms, and travel at about the same speed, which means the inexpensive Intensity DS main sails will probably work as heavy-weather mains on the pocket yachts. (I tried a 40-year old DS main on my P-21, but it was so blown out that it didn't work well on either craft.)
I mention this because I believe you're on SF bay. After an afternoon here in Oregon on the P-21, my nephew--a Bay Area sailor--advised that it would require at least a second reef to keep the Precision upright off Alcatraz.

I have seen a DS main used on one other small cruiser on our lake, so apparently this isn't an original idea.

--Talbot
talbot

Postby GreenLake » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:37 am

Thanks for hanging out with us here on the forum.

And good luck!

PS: remember, the forum remains open to former DS owners
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby TIM WEBB » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:57 pm

talbot wrote:A Spindrift 22 showed up for repair in the boatyard where I winter my P21, Apparently destined for a berth at the coast. Will try to contact the owner to see how the boat functions on the Pacific.

The DS and 21/22' Taylor boats have similar length booms, and travel at about the same speed, which means the inexpensive Intensity DS main sails will probably work as heavy-weather mains on the pocket yachts. (I tried a 40-year old DS main on my P-21, but it was so blown out that it didn't work well on either craft.)
I mention this because I believe you're on SF bay. After an afternoon here in Oregon on the P-21, my nephew--a Bay Area sailor--advised that it would require at least a second reef to keep the Precision upright off Alcatraz.

I have seen a DS main used on one other small cruiser on our lake, so apparently this isn't an original idea.

--Talbot

Wow, small world, because there aren't many RS22's out there, relatively speaking. Sailboatdata.com says 400 were built, and mine is #247. There was another one at the western FL marina where I bought mine, and the owner said he'd crossed the Gulf of Mexico a few times with his. I'm actually in Santa Cruz, at the northern end of Monterey Bay, and mine handles the conditions in the bay quite nicely, although I do find myself using the single reef point often. She's a very "beamy" boat for her length, so pretty stable. She'll do even better after I get new sails later this year! If I were still in FL and still had the DS, I would be tempted to try its main on the 22, just for kicks. The RS22 is a masthead rig, so most of the power is coming from the huge headsail, which is on a furler, so can be roller furled.
Tim Webb
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby talbot » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:57 pm

I'd love to sail Monterey. Maybe we'll take our show on the road on of these days.

Blue Moon sold today for its asking price, to a nice couple in Portland who seemed to like the same things about sailing that we do. I hope they will show up on the forum. I'll keep an eye out for them.

Tim, consider visiting the Precision forum on trailersailer.com if you want to discuss fixes or tech issues on your boat. It's more or less like this group -- a few people contributing regularly, a lot of lurkers. But much of the same, why-the-hell-did-they-build-it-this-way-but-never-mind-'cuz-we-found-a-way-to-fix-it. Not sure how similar the Rebel/Spectrum 22 is to the Precision 21, but only a year separated the two models and they look almost the same.

--Talbot
talbot

Postby TIM WEBB » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:14 am

Come on down! I'd love to sail with you.

Glad you found a like-minded buyer for Blue Moon, and we'll help them out on the forums as much as we can.

I've been on the trailersailer forums before, but only as a lurker - never joined. I've only seen a Precision 23 and 18 in person, and that was before I got the RS22, so not sure where the similarities begin/end. I'll go back on there, introduce myself, and beg pardon that my boat is "that weird uncle" to the Precision boats. I say that because it seems that after Rebel/Spindrift went belly up, and Precision crawled out from under the wreckage, nobody at Precision wants to even acknowledge that R/S ever even existed. I guess Jim Taylor didn't care - he just kept on designing really good boats for whomever would build 'em!
Tim Webb
TIM WEBB

Postby Skippa » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:12 pm

Great timing on this thread, I have been looking for a P-21 and have only been able to find a P-23 and a Montgomery 17 locally.
The Montgomery has peaked my interest right now but it is barley above 0 degrees and spending another year in my DS II would not be a problem at all for me.
Love my DS but I miss sleeping on the boat at night.
Skippa

Postby talbot » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:14 am

I don't want to hijack the forum for another class of boat. I suggest Precision-interested sailors reconvene in the Precision forum.
Briefly, however, the P-21 seems to be the direct descendant of the Spindrift 22. The other boats (P-16.5/18/23) are more different.
There are a few interesting transition issues specific to moving from the DS to the Precision, which we can discuss over on trailersailer.com

In the mean time, note that my heavily modified 1973 DS II sold for 3,050, with no haggling. They sailed with me yesterday, liked it, and drove away with Blue Moon in tow. In other words, while you can get an O'Day DS in some sort of condition for less than $1,000, that fact does not mean that a well-maintained DS can't command a decent price. No, you will never get back all the money you put into your boat, but that is supposed to be of intrinsic value in terms of satisfaction and performance. To set my price, I looked at every selling price I could find for Day Sailers in North America that included a motor and decent sails. I charged near (but not at) the upper end of the range, because I thought Blue Moon was worth it. And it was.

--Talbot
talbot

Postby GreenLake » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:13 pm

Talbot,

congrats for selling your boat for a decent price. I appreciate your thoughtfulness in keeping discussion of other boats on the appropriate forums, but as I wrote before, we are happy to hear from any former DS owners on any topic of interest to current DS owners. Whether it is sharing things that you learned (long ago) about sailing/maintaining your DS, or whether it is new insights on old experiences now that you can compare things from the perspective of sailing a different boat.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby K.C. Walker » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:45 pm

Happy New Year to you guys!

Talbot, I'm happy to hear that you could get a decent price for Bluemoon, even off-season. I have always figured that the time and money that I put into my boat was part of the recreation. :-)

I also bought another boat, so now my DS is my big boat. :-) I started racing a Sunfish at the local Wednesday night series, so of course, had to spend a lot of extra time practicing! There are way too many good racers, so I didn't do particularly well in the series, but had a blast. I did buy an Intensity sail which turned out really nice. Funny thing is, Jim Myers who owns Intensity sails that same regatta Wednesdays (different and hotter boat, though).
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby DigitalMechanic » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:36 pm

Congrats Talbot!

I though about selling my DS as well at one point to pony up cash for my Catalina... But I could not let it go... So now I have 2 boats. The Daysailer is fun... for Sailors... And the Catalina provides the comfort for other types of "passengers" that would not otherwise get out on the water if they could not relax. I get to sail either way, so it is a win win. But I too have wondered what a nicely rigged DS in good shape actually fetches. Your story makes me feel a little better about how much I have lighted my wallet. Again congrats on both boats! :D
DigitalMechanic

Return to Miscellaneous