Cuddy Gasket

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Cuddy Gasket

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 10, 1998 12:00 am

I have a '77 DS II and the gasket surrounding the cuddy needs replacement. The present one has cracked. What is the suggested replacement and where can it be obtained?

Pell (apell-at-epix.net)

Postby Guest » Sat Oct 10, 1998 12:00 am

Pell,
I'm puzzled as to where this gasket is??? Are you talking about the U-channel material around the opening to the cuddy? My '75 DSII does not have any other "gasket" in the cuddy. If it is the U-channel I do have a source for that at a very reasonable cost and in other than the standard white color. Let me know.

Jim Brown (beaner-at-fuse.net)

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 11, 1998 12:00 am

Jim B.

My 1979 DS II could use new U channel I would appreciate if you could let me know your source.

Ken B. (balen-at-bellatlantic.net)

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 11, 1998 12:00 am

Jim, I am talking about the u-channel material. I wasn't sure what to call it. Also, the hatch has rotted away. What is the recommended material to replace it with?

Pell (apell-at-epix.net)

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 25, 1999 1:00 am

Pell -

I've made several hatchcovers for different DS II boats: First one used cypress table top, with scrap mahogany for cleats. Next one was mahogany plank with same for cleats. There is no one exact "right" method/material. The cypress was strong, light & beautiful, the mahogany not so light. With plastics' weight and low maintenance, I'd recommend a visit to any plastic supply house. Pick through their cut-offs, or ask them
to cut something for you. I suggest PVC, so that PVC cement can be used to attach cleats, stiffeners, etc. Use mechanical fasteners along with the glue, preferably machine screw with nuts. There are different
densities in PVC hence weights will vary, many colors & thicknesses available. Word to the wise - some plastics don't glue - they must be "welded".

Bruce Goodwin (kewing-at-gwi.net)

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 26, 1999 1:00 am

I believe the material you are looking for is not really a gasket, but a guard/edgeing to protect you from the raw fiberglass of the cutty opening. I would look for that replacement material in two places.

First, look at the "tank guard" on page 237 of the new West Marine catalog. It's the white vinyl molding that goes around the bottom of an outboard fuel tank. It might work.

Second, look into the automotive restoration industry. My 1962 MGA had the same kind of edgeing around its door openings.

Good luck on your quest and let us know how you solved that problem.

Gus Heismann (gheismann-at-hotmail.com)

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 21, 1999 12:00 am

I replaced the edge guard around my cuddy with "Flex trim" purchased from West Marine. It comes in several sizes (5/32", 1/4", 3/8", 1/2") based on the thickness of the material you are covering. It costs $26.99 (I don't remember how long the roll was but it was more than enough to cover my cuddy opening. The material is aluminum U-channel covered in wqhite or black patterned vinyl. It has barbs molded into the channel so it holds fast without other fasteners or adhesives. I'm sure you can get this stuff in almost any catalog.

Philip

Philip T (traquair-at-comteck.com)

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 21, 1999 12:00 am

Hi,
I'm a refrigeration contractor and when I wanted to replace the U channel around my cuddy, I bought some refrigerator gasket material. This is a roll of PVC gasket to replace a worn gasket. It comes in various sizes. Mine is about 3/8" thick. I glued it to the back of the cuddy bulkhead using Marine silicone. It provides a tight fit when the cuddy hatches are on and keeps the rain out and keeps the hatches from rattleing.

You can go to a refrigeration supply house for this item. A kit to repair and average refrigerator will cost about $ 12.00

Paul

Paul Diglio (paul.diglio-at-erols.com)

Return to Repair and Improvement