Position of boom vang cam

Moderator: GreenLake

Position of boom vang cam

Postby Shagbark » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:40 pm

I need you folks to weigh in on where you believe is the best place to install the cam on a boom vang setup. I don't have a vang and am planning on installing one. It seems like the most popular arrangement is to get a fiddle with a cam on it. However, I was thinking about getting a fiddle without the cam and instead placing a cam on the cuddy roof near the trailing edge. I think it would make it easier to reach when sailing solo. Thoughts?
Shagbark

Re: Position of boom vang cam

Postby GreenLake » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:35 pm

I looked at it and decided that the fiddle that my local store had in stock could not be mounted with the cleat at the bottom end (it was angled just the wrong way to allow clean set/release).

So I simply mounted it the other way around. Downside of that is that the tail now dangles into the cockpit. No issue for singlehanding, but annoys the crew.

Some people have run the free end down along the mast to the floor, then back to the side of the centerboard. Advantage claimed for that setup is that the vang is in the best position for an emergency de-powering.

If you can reach the back of the cuddy, I don't see why your suggested setup won't work for you.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby DigitalMechanic » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:53 am

This is what GL mentions about the centerboard trunk setup.

https://forum.daysailer.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5592

It is convenient. When the skipper is in charge of the main (nearly always), it get's it out of the crew's way and easily accessible to the skipper. Consolidation of controls...
DigitalMechanic

Postby GreenLake » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:13 am

Thanks for the link. I now remember reading your description, but I had in mind yet another post, so there are multiple ways of getting to the same result. That's what I like about the DS - even if you race it you are free to set it up your way, and what I like about this site: you get all the details you need - and then some :)
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby DigitalMechanic » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:53 am

Yep, the DS is a fun boat. And the canvas is easy to work with, allowing for lots of creativity. Not the fastest boat, but plenty fun to sail, and pretty comfortable for a small boat. I have been working so much on my C22 lately... I am missing my DS (and it's simplicity, lol). If I can get a weekend where I do not have to travel to do one of the 4 Christmases or roped into another ugly sweater party, her and I need to make a date ;)

PS - I found another DS (DSI actually) at our club. The owner has all of the original parts on it, lol. I mean all of them. Wood cleats, original swivel cam, etc. Being an "Original Restoration" is pretty cool, but I have never seen the guy take the boat out (nor has anyone else). I think he likes working the boat more than sailing it :) The owner is up there in age, so that may play into it. If he tries to sell it at some point, I'll be waiting lol. My buddy needs one to race against me with, lol. Either that or he would tell me that I need to buy a thistle, lol. We will see who wins that one... There are plenty of thistles around here to crew on ;) Not so much Daysailers... :( Then all we have to do is find a 3rd, and we can revive fleet #46 and make it's home at the Rudder Club JAX! Sorry, was daydreaming out loud for a moment :D
DigitalMechanic

Postby GreenLake » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:05 pm

"wood cleats" - do you mean Tufnol? Looks a bit like wood, but is actually some artificial material. Quite durable actually.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby DigitalMechanic » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:12 pm

Don't know. Looks like the 70's cam cleats with wood instead of nylon.
DigitalMechanic

Postby Shagbark » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:14 pm

Does anyone have a recommendation on where to position the bail on the boom? I checked the specifications on the association website and it states anywhere to within 6" to the end of the boom, not much help.
Shagbark

Postby GreenLake » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:59 pm

DigitalMechanic wrote:Don't know. Looks like the 70's cam cleats with wood instead of nylon.

Tufnol.

It's bakelite with fibers (canvas?) embedded.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby GreenLake » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:03 pm

Shagbark wrote:Does anyone have a recommendation on where to position the bail on the boom? I checked the specifications on the association website and it states anywhere to within 6" to the end of the boom, not much help.

I think mine is between 8 and 12" from the aft end of the cuddy. Just came off the water and that's what short-term visual memory says - too lazy to measure.

Not the best picture, but the boom is cut off about 8"-12" from the gooseneck in that picture.

I'm sure there are places that will give guidance on that, perhaps look for literature / specs associated with ready-made sets of blocks for vangs.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby GreenLake » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:15 pm

Better vang picture:
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby DigitalMechanic » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:48 pm

Shagbark wrote:I need you folks to weigh in on where you believe is the best place to install the cam on a boom vang setup... ...make it easier to reach when sailing solo. Thoughts?

Centerboard trunk :wink:

Through hull block (through cuddy top right under vang)
to cheek block on mast inside of cuddy
Through lower section of cuddy wall/bulkhead (down by floor)
to cheek block on lower part of centerboard trunk (turns up)
to tube like swivel mount block / cam cleat thing ma' bob http://www.racelitehardware.com/rl-860-swivel/

Now you can get your vang on while you hike... :D
DigitalMechanic

Postby jalmeida51 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:34 pm

My boom vang has the purchase power of 10 to 1. I put a cam cleat on the trailing edge of the cabin roof. I can control the vang anywhere inside the boat. As far back to the tiller. It doesn't work if you hike out. At 72 I don't hike out and reef early. I use 2 sets of reefing points. It sucks getting old.
jalmeida51

Postby tomodda » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:32 pm

John, please don't be so hard on yourself. Age and Guile Beat Youth, Innocence, and a Bad Haircut.... Anyway, gentlemen don't hike, they just get heavier sitting on the rail!
tomodda

Postby GreenLake » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:59 pm

@Digitalmechanic: with a keel-stepped mast, there is no way I could mount a cheekblock below deck. Would prevent unstepping the mast.

The swivel cleat: is the line supposed to be fed through the tube?
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Next

Return to Rigging