jib sheet barberhaulers

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

jib sheet barberhaulers

Postby dpatrick » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:39 am

Does anyone have picture of jib sheet twingers or barber haulers?
I want to install them on my boat
dpatrick

Re: jib sheet barberhaulers

Postby TIM WEBB » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:17 pm

I don't have a pic of them in actual use, but this one shows the setup. I later replaced the thimbles with blocks and the sheets went through much more smoothly.

Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby dpatrick » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:29 pm

Thanks!
How do you like the jam cleats?
What did you use to cover your tabernacle? I currently wrap a sail bag around mine, room for improvement but inevitably if I don’t cover the tabernacle the jib sheets always snag.
dpatrick

Postby GreenLake » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:45 pm

Mine look like:

Not the best in terms of photography, but the bottom one shows the in-haul (white line) terminating in a block running along the jib sheet (green). The top image shows how I cleat them off -- after crossing them at the midline, so that the cleat is on the windward side where it can be more easily reached for adjustment when underway.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby TIM WEBB » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:00 pm

dpatrick wrote:Thanks!
How do you like the jam cleats?
What did you use to cover your tabernacle? I currently wrap a sail bag around mine, room for improvement but inevitably if I don’t cover the tabernacle the jib sheets always snag.

No prob! The clam cleats worked just fine, and as GL notes, you want them to cross. I read somewhere that the ideal range for "barber hauling" (izzat a thing? It is now!) in the jib sheets is around 18" from boat center.

Believe it or not, that is a plastic margarine tub cut to fit and spray painted white. Its effectiveness was "marg"inal (see what I did there?) and eventually I removed it in favor of just throwing a couple of extra feet of lazy sheet forward onto the cuddy roof/deck after each tack. That seemed to eliminate sheet snags on the next tack, at least most of the time.
Tim Webb
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby GreenLake » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:51 pm

I credit my continuous jib-sheet with the lack of snagging.

I use a soft shackle that I wrap around the sheet to form a Prusik loop, and that means I don't have to have any bulky knots at the clew.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby dpatrick » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:24 pm

I also have a continuous sheet. Still gets snagged, mostly when I'm solo though. Not so much with crew.
P.O. installed a cleat right in front of the mast on the cabin! If it doesn't catch the tabernacle it gets that poorly placed cleat. Keep meaning to remove that
dpatrick

Postby GreenLake » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:13 am

A horn cleat?

You can find / make cleat buddies that are two shapes that fill the space under the horns and are held together by a bit of bungee.

You could set those up so that they still allow a thin line to be tied from the cleat to the mast ring. That might force your jib sheet away from the tabernacle.

Remains to check your technique when tacking. Do you release too early? A jib will pull if set on the original side well into the turn. If you need extra support making the bow come around you can wait with the release until it is backwinded for a moment, otherwise release just as it wants to backwind.

Idea is that the jib will come over in one continuous motion and not spend time flogging on the midline. That tends to keep the sheets from flailing about as much (and in different positions).

Try, see whether it makes a difference. Since you report that having crew changes things, I bet technique is part of the solution.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby dpatrick » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:36 am

Well when I'm alone it's a lot more casual and yes I do release the sheet at the right time (mostly) ,more so now that I got some ronstan velcro "beverage" holders!
This is my "goofing off" lake boat for reference, I race in Portland Me. on a Lindenberg 28 so I'm pretty well schooled on techniques. Races can be won or lost depending on how well tacks are executed.
Unless I forget, I usually tie my jib sail bag around the tabernacle and that helps avoid the snag
dpatrick

Postby TIM WEBB » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:42 pm

I also had this soft shackle on the jib sheets, which helped reduce the snagging. Similar to GL's setup, except I fingertrapped the line through the sheet(s) instead of using a prusik knot.

Tim Webb
TIM WEBB

Postby GreenLake » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:51 pm

Looks like you know what to do.

I don't have a tabernacle, but there's a metal disc around the mast partners (part of an innovative mast-raising system for a keel-stepped mast installed by a PO). It sits a bit above the deck and at one point I added a metal strip to block that gap. After that, jib sheet was not trapped there any more. But for some reasons, it rarely gets hung up on any of the many other projections from the mast, like coiled halyards on their mast-base cleats.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Day Sailer II Only