Gooseneck Slide

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Gooseneck Slide

Postby rnlivingston » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:31 pm

Our sailing club was recently given a 1980 DS 11. It did not come with a boom, so I tried to use a boom I had from a 1964 DS1. The gooseneck slide would not fit in the mast track. I tried it on another DS 11 from the same time and it would not fit. I then tried on a couple of older Daysailers and it fit fine...even a little loose. Is it possible O'Day used a black mast with a thicker wall on the mast track back then ? Took the slide home and filed it thinner. Will try it again tomorrow.
Roger Livingston
DS 6872
Mariner 4096
rnlivingston

Re: Gooseneck Slide

Postby Alan » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:36 pm

A definite yes on the black mast - I have a 1980 DSII with what have to be original mast and boom, and they're as you describe.

Mine is a Dwyer DM284, with dimensions like so:

https://www.dwyermast.com/items.asp?cat ... %2D284+Mas

Someone from Dwyer customer service (they're very good, by the way, and worth talking to) steered me in the right direction when I tried to order a mast extension that was almost correct, but not quite.
Last edited by Alan on Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Alan

Postby Alan » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:42 pm

And following up: I made an attachment point for a boom vang out of 1/2-inch diameter aluminum rod, which I placed in the sail slot in the mast extension below the hinge. It didn't go easily - if memory serves, I had to sand it just a bit smaller in diameter to make it fit.
Alan

Postby Alan » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:50 pm

Oh, and another thought: If you find the bilge of the DSII filling with water for no apparent reason, there is a specific reason that's easily fixed, thanks to resourceful owners like Tim Webb. If it happens, I'll be happy to help.
Alan

Return to Repair and Improvement