Yet another Daysailer id question

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Yet another Daysailer id question

Postby BreezingUp » Mon May 28, 2018 5:06 pm

I recently bought a 1982 Daysailer II with HIN XDY12047M82H-D. The number on the mainsail is 1609. Just curious as to what the boat number might be, and what relation that would have to the sail number (or whether the sails are the original sails that came with the boat). Thanks.
1982 DS II #12047
BreezingUp

Re: Yet another Daysailer id question

Postby BreezingUp » Mon May 28, 2018 8:15 pm

Based on the Daysailer Hull Number Index and Builder Chart (https://forum.daysailer.org/tech_hullindex.php), I'm guessing the boat number is 12047. But I have no clue what the number 1609 on the sail means. Sail didn't come with boat?
1982 DS II #12047
BreezingUp

Postby badgley » Tue May 29, 2018 11:49 am

Yeah, the 12047 should be your hull number. They were way above 1600 in 1982. My '82 is 10911. Does the sail have a DS insignia on it? If so my guess is that it was bought from another boat as you said. Although I find my guesses here are often wrong... there may be other numbering conventions for sails that I'm not aware of. For example, our original mainsail that came with our boat has "DS" and an "82" (for, I presume, the year) rather than the hull number. But 1609 doesn't make much sense there either.
Brian Badgley
1982 DS II #10911 EGRETTA
Blacksburg, VA, USA
badgley

Postby BreezingUp » Tue May 29, 2018 11:41 pm

Yes, the sail does have a DS insignia at the top, with 1609 below. Doesn't make much sense, but I'm not going to worry about it. I'm more interested that the boat number is 12047, the boat being the main object of interest. Maybe someone bought a brand new set of sails for the boat and requested the number 1609. This post suggests that the sail numbers may have no relationship to the boat number if they are replacement sails: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=82.

I'm not a racer, so don't know if my sail numbers are supposed to correspond to the boat number for racing.
1982 DS II #12047
BreezingUp

Postby badgley » Wed May 30, 2018 4:27 pm

Yeah I think the hull # is like the 'default' sail #. In fact, in Roger's book he refers to that part of the HIN as the "sail number." I think you can also pay a fee to a race or class organization to officially change your sail number to something esle that's available, but most people just go with the hull number. That's what's on my nicer more recent main that was ordered by a PO who raced.
Brian Badgley
1982 DS II #10911 EGRETTA
Blacksburg, VA, USA
badgley

Postby GreenLake » Wed May 30, 2018 10:54 pm

The most likely scenario is that someone bought a used sail from the person with sail # 1609... and then didn't race themselves, so saw no need to change the number. Possibly time for new sails by now - you'll better enjoy your boat, and you can ask the sailmaker to put the correct sail number on it!

(Now, if you join the Day Sailer Association (DSA), who, among other things pay for the site to host this forum, their secretary can indeed "assign" a number to you. They did that for me, although in my case it was just to make sure that what I thought the sail number should be, was actually associated with the boat. The DSA runs a membership site, where all the stuff other than the forum happens under https://daysailer.org - note that despite the obviously related name, it's a completely different site with it's own username/password for sign in).

PS: if you'd like to discuss the merits of getting new sails even for a non-racer, the place to do that is the "Sails" section of this forum. I bought my first set of new sails several years before I discovered an interest in casual ("beer can") racing; so you don't have to be a "racer" to enjoy sails that set properly and still keep their shape.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Day Sailer II Only