New DS Owner

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

New DS Owner

Postby rshoswego » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:10 pm

After a 25 year absence from sailing, I'm back on Lake Michigan in a new to me 1983 Spindrift. Nice boat, feels good to be back! I'm trying to figure out my way around this forum and the boat, tons of great information. I just wanted to post a couple of pictures from one of our first outings, we're looking forward to many more this summer! I would love to see any pics of your boats or where you're using them.

Last edited by rshoswego on Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rshoswego

Re: New DS Owner

Postby Dchap940 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:57 pm

Hi, Looks like you picked up up a pretty nice boat. Looks to be in great condition for an '83. I bought an '83 Spindrift last fall. It was not in as good a condition. I spent some time this winter refinishing most of the wood. This spring I flipped the hull to clean it. It had a build up of calcium and algae. We should finally be putting her in the water this weekend. We're in Onekama, Michigan, just off Lake Michigan.
Dchap940

Postby rshoswego » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:45 pm

Hi, thanks. It is in pretty good shape. I got it from an older gentleman who had the DS and 2 other sailboats in his driveway when I went to see it, he said his wife was making him cut back! The wood was refinished but the hull needed some work. I had it turned over in my backyard to do some repairs along the keel area and buffed the hull like 4 times to clean off the calcium and get some shine back. I also replaced all the lines, but the standing rigging had been beefed up and is in good shape. We're currently sailing near the IL/WI border, launching by Skipper Buds at Northpoint Marina. Good luck getting on the water this weekend, post some pics if you get a chance!
rshoswego

Postby GreenLake » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:26 pm

Nice boat; welcome to the forum.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Day Sailer I Only