boom crutch

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

boom crutch

Postby BreezingUp » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:45 am

Does anyone have a boom crutch like this one, from D & R Marine?

http://www.drmarine.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DS403

What holds it up? Why doesn't it just fall over when you put the boom on it? Also, does it work for a Daysailer II?

Yes, I called D & R, but they didn't answer the phone.
1982 DS II #12047
BreezingUp

Re: boom crutch

Postby jalmeida51 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:24 pm

I have a boom crutch, just like the picture. Not sure if it is the one from D&R? It came with the boat. I have a 1981 Daysailer 1. The only way that I could prevent it from falling over was to put tension on the mainsheet. I put on a simple topping lift, problem solved.
jalmeida51

Postby GreenLake » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:56 pm

Never needed one (nor topping lift). My suggestion: think carefully about your use case before adding/installing extra gear.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby BreezingUp » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:58 pm

My use case is simple. My boat is moored on a lake. I have a cover for the cockpit that goes over the boom, and I need something to hold the boom up. Yes, I know you can do that with just topping lift, but I have also heard that a crutch is a more stable solution. But if you have to add topping lift just to keep the crutch from falling over, that doesn't seem very stable. So I must be missing something.
1982 DS II #12047
BreezingUp

Postby jalmeida51 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:55 pm

I keep my daysailer docked and I use a boom tent to keep the rain water out. The topping lift works well so far. A few weeks ago when tropical storm Alberto came through Punta Gorda Fl. we had over 9 inches of rain in 2 days. I sponged out less than a bucket of water. I am in a real sheltered marina so wind is no problem. Don't know how a topping lift would work out on a mooring to support a boom tent in windy conditions? Chaffing could be a problem in windy conditions. The boom crutch I have just didn't work unless I really tightened the mainsheet. Best of luck
jalmeida51

Postby BreezingUp » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:57 pm

So it sounds like the purpose of the crutch is to keep the boom from moving from side to side in the wind, while the topping lift holds up the boom and crutch.

Thanks for responding - that's helpful information.
1982 DS II #12047
BreezingUp

Postby Zinger88 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:25 pm

I had that exact boom crutch which came with the boat (DSII). I've since added a topping lift which eliminates having to fiddle with the crutch all the time (i.e. setup, storage, etc). Basically the crutch works by putting the base of each leg in the small groove located between the seat top and the cockpit side of the transom wall. You then place the boom on top of the "X" to support it. Once you've got everything in place you then have to cinch down on the main sheet to hold it all together. The biggest pain in the rear with using the crutch is when you forget about the fact it's holding the boom up prior to raising the mainsail and inadvertently release the main sheet which causes the whole setup to come crashing down. Topping lift eliminates the boom crutch and that whole cumbersome setup.

However...in your situation I could see where the boom crutch would be useful in the case of supporting a boom tent and keeping it from moving side-to-side while moored. Again...the crutch would need to be held in place by snugging down on the main sheet to keep it in place.
Jim H
'76 Daysailer II, Sail #7920, Windsong
Burton, TX
~~ _/) ~
Zinger88

Postby fatjackdurham » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:03 pm

In the fiberglass boat, the crutch can be propped leaning backwards so that the deck molding holds it in place, but it's not stable.
fatjackdurham

Postby hsubman » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:13 am

That is exactly like the crutch that came with my boat, an '83 DSII. Works great, but you have to put tension on the boom with the main sheet. Sometimes I also use the topping lift, sometimes not.
John
'83 DSII, 12279, MARY RUTH
hsubman

Postby rnlivingston » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:20 am

I've built about 10 boom crutches over the years. My 1973 O'Day Daysailer 1 came with the paddle that acts as a crutch, but I still use the scissor type crutch with the cover on. I have a short line that attaches to the top of the crutch, goes around the boom to a jam cleat on the other side of the crutch. Keeps the crutch from falling over.
Roger Livingston
DS 6872
Mariner 4096
rnlivingston

Postby GreenLake » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:01 pm

This is not specific to the DaySailer II so I'm moving this topic.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Repair and Improvement