Restoring a late 70's O'Day DSII

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Restoring a late 70's O'Day DSII

Postby thistle3930 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:11 am

I have access to a hoist in order to inspect the centerboard. What are the best points to place straps under the hull. I'm guessing under the mast support (with the mast removed) and just aft of the centerboard. I assume the various horn cleats on the gunwale are not a good option.
John Garner
DS II 7956
thistle3930

Re: Restoring a late 70's O'Day DSII

Postby GreenLake » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:51 pm

one strap forward and one aft of the CB sounds a bout right. Don't think exact placement is critical -- as long as the center of gravity for the hull is nicely between the two.

I've lifted my DS off the trailer with an arrangement like that, but with the two straps not lead to the same point (kind of like if your hoist had a lifting frame). I used simple rope. If your hoist has a single attachment point, you need to watch that it doesn't pull the straps together.

A DS weighs about 600lbs, so that helps define the safe working load for whatever straps/ropes you use.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby thistle3930 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:06 pm

The hoist here has a single lifting point. I can use additional ropes to keep the lifting ropes from moving. I'll have help while doing the lifting/inspecting. The hoist easily lifts Thistles (~515 lbs) and Lightnings (~700 lbs) so it should be fine. Thanks!
John Garner
DS II 7956
thistle3930

Postby thistle3930 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:00 pm

My CB seems to be in good shape. Not so, the rudder. A friend with better skills is helping me repair it. After a good sanding and filling with West System something we covered it with fiberglass. Needs more sanding and a little more glass but it's close. I installed used (free) swivel cleats on the rails just aft of the cabin for the jib sheets. Had to put in an inspection port on the starboard side to do that. I repaired the support for the mast step (rotten plywood encased in fiberglass) and it seems sturdy (mast didn't fall over). Next project is installing a self bailer. There seems to be a repair where one used to be. The new bailer needs a 1" hole from inside the boat and a slightly larger one through the hull. I'd appreciate thoughts on how to locate the hole through the hull. I'm thinking drill the hole from inside the boat then use a drill bit to put a very small hoe centered under the first hole. Then drill the hole through the hull from below.

Thoughts?
John Garner
DS II 7956
thistle3930

Postby Alan » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:02 pm

Your boat almost certainly came from the factory with a self bailer - mine has one (a DePersia, made of metal). I say "almost" because the factory got a little creative from time to time. :)

If you use a search engine like Google or Duck Duck Go to search the site you'll find several threads on it. To do this, type the following into the search bar: site: Daysailer.org "DePersia Bailer" . (Our moderator, GreenLake, developed that search method, by the way. Works like a charm.)

If it were me, I'd drill from the top (through the cockpit molding) with a hole saw of the proper diameter, let the hole saw's drill bit just penetrate the hull molding to create a pilot hole, then finish up by drilling through the hull molding from below. That way your holes will be exactly aligned.

By the way, you'll probably find bits of stray fiberglass in the very narrow space between the cockpit and hull moldings. The moldings are so close together that there's no room for a transom drain plug in the center - that's why it was placed off to one side.
Alan

Postby thistle3930 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:26 pm

Thanks, that's helpful!
John Garner
DS II 7956
thistle3930

Postby GreenLake » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:26 pm

I find that it can be important to not have a space after "site:" when using an external search engine to search the site.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Day Sailer II Only