Centerboard of some DSII's Hollow?

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Centerboard of some DSII's Hollow?

Postby TJDSII6630 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:15 pm

Greetings everyone.
Brand new to the Forum and to Daysailers.
Only other experience is on an AQUA FINN and a friend's S2 9.2.
I just acquired a neglected '74 model Daysailer II, #6630 and am in the process of fixing it up.

While inspecting the Centerboard I noticed a hole drilled in the leading edge at the keel.
I appears to be original.
Later noticed a 2 inch round slug of what appeared to be bondo in one side of the leading edge at the bottom.
Edges of the hole were not uniform so I'm not sure what to make of it.

As the bond was loose I dug it out and found a cavity leading up.
I blew into the hole at the top and sure enough they are connected.

Searching through the forum I found mention of a centerboards made to fill with water to reduce buoyancy.
I also read about rebar rusting and cracking the CB open.

The position of the hole in the top woudld allow water to drain - if the boat were bow down.
But it would be a slow drain with the plug in the bottom not letting in air.

I would appreciate some advice on what to do with this.

Pretty well skilled in fiberglass repair as I did some major work on the AQUA FINN and keep a '72 model john boat floating.

Other projects on the DSII are:
Bow eye and backing block.
Door for Bow Chamber
Hatch for Cuddy
12 inch gash in the hull.
4 hull gouges that did not penetrate where the trailer bumpers were allowed to roll over.
New Tiller
Mast head shives are seized. May just replace mast head.
4 cracks in the cuddy roof reinforcement.
Made new battens
Batten pocket repair
Bad staining from rust on wire in Jib - soaking sail in Evapo-Rust.
It is working on the rust on the wire but not doing a thing for the stains.
Motor mount holes left open in the transom, sounds solid but I expect to find some rotten wood in there.
I probed around the holes and it feels soft.
Is drilling additional holes and filling with epoxy or a wood restorer recommended fix?
I have a '50 Johnson I plan to use but will rig a sculling oar for a while.
Motor will need some work and I want to get the boat in the water first.
When I learn to upload pictures I'll make a post on the process.

I also need to know what holds the rudder to the Gudgeon.
There is a piece of thin SS broken below the top Gudgeon but I cannot find a replacement part listed.
Thanks,

Teddy
TJDSII6630

Re: Centerboard of some DSII's Hollow?

Postby GreenLake » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:19 pm

Teddy, welcome to the forum.

You may find some of your questions already answered in older posts. Go ahead and mine them for useful nuggets of information while you wait for one of the other DSII owners to respond more specifically.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby TJDSII6630 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:37 am

Greenlakes,
I did search but did not see any discussion on how the water gets in or out.
I’m concerned about freezing and busting the thing open.

No luck on holding the rudder on either.

Lack of success most likely a pic-nic issue .... Problem in chair - not in computer!
TJDSII6630

Postby GreenLake » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:27 am

At this point, pictures of what you found might be helpful.

The effect of rusting rebar tends to be a long crack - often with some visible rust stains. Not holes with Bondo.

I don't have one one of the "flooding" CBs myself, so I don't know much about them - just that I've read about them.

Your description talks about holes and cavities, not about finding trapped water. If any water that comes in can drain out (when the CB is in the "up" position, as it would be on the trailer) then one would think that should make it less likely that you'll have frost issues.

To hold a rudder, you can use a thin strip of SS that is bent at a shallow angle. When you try to raise the rudder, it would wedge itself under the rim gudgeon. To free the rudder, you press against it so it lies flat against the forward edge of the rudder.

Not sure whether D&R Marine carries that - worth looking at their page of DS parts. However, you can find it at other marine supplies. I found something suitable at Fisheries Supply when I rebuilt my rudder. Not sure what these are called, so can't give you a help in searching.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Champlaner » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:22 pm

Teddy,
I have a hollow CB with 2 or 3 random little drainage holes. It seems like it's made of all glass, or at least the hollow part is glass with the upper thickest part maybe solid wood. Nice robust feel to the hollow part's flex, so I stuck with the first rule of old Daysailers: Tinker or sail? if any water drains out of the holes at haul-out, that should leave room for cold expansion, hopefully in a waterproof-ish cavity. If you have rotten wood in there, then yeah drill'n'fill or whatever.
Impressive tick list. Seems very doable if you stick to repairs vs. restoration. My sails aren't pretty and my battens are taped in for lack of sewing, but the boat rips! Get some.
--Nick
'77 DSII #8420
Champlaner

Postby Alan » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:53 pm

While inspecting the Centerboard I noticed a hole drilled in the leading edge at the keel.
I appears to be original.
Later noticed a 2 inch round slug of what appeared to be bondo in one side of the leading edge at the bottom.
Edges of the hole were not uniform so I'm not sure what to make of it.

As the bond was loose I dug it out and found a cavity leading up.
I blew into the hole at the top and sure enough they are connected.

That sounds to me like the attaching points for the centerboard downhaul and uphaul cables. There should be steel cables (1/8-inch stainless steel wire rope) in each of those holes, leading into the cuddy. Taking a wild guess here on what a previous owner might have done, do you have those cables? If not, you need them to raise and lower the centerboard.

Bow eye and backing plate, door in bow panel: Putting an inspection port in the bulkhead at the forward end of the cuddy will give you access to the backing plate for the bow eye (assuming there is a bow eye, and I'd be surprised if there wasn't one). I'd go with a manufactured 8-inch or 10-inch inspection port. You'll also be able to remove whatever flotation foam might still be in there and check to see if it's waterlogged.
Alan

Postby TJDSII6630 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:25 am

I appreciate the responses.
Been reading the forums 5 to 6 weeks as a guest prior to getting the boat and have learned a lot
that I have been applying.

Wanted to see what I was in for prior to purchasing a boat at the bottom of the cost distribution.
It must be an exceptional find as it was over 2 standard deviations off the norm.
Only had the boat 3 weeks and working on it 2.
Not in need of total restoration just a bunch of small repairs.
Except the gouge in the hull, I call that major but, Dad brought a john boat home when I was around
12 that was folded in two and my brother and I learned to work with fiberglass.
Transom and seat repairs and a major modifications over the years...
So it was not a new repair to me, and I had the material on hand.
I put some pictures in my gallery and will add more as time permits.

CB cables are fine and I dropped the CB to inspect the bolt and the lower portion of the cables and the attachment point,
which were in good shape.
I think I will run a tube from the bottom of the CB into the cavity when I plug the hole with bondo.
I do not want to depend on the CB being angled bow down so the water will drain.
A hole that small may need an air vent. Dirt dobbers are an issue too.

Bow eye was serviceable but loose. I installed an eye bolt using a piece of very resinous heart pine for backing.
Bondo in a freezer bag will bed it in, yet allow me to remove the backing and the bag and bondo if in decide to use a SS eye bolt.
Past owner had worked up here before as the bulk head was already cut but the "access hatch" was stuck on with bondo.
I figured it was just as easy to make one from wood and secure it with screws as to glass it back on.
I'll add a pair of drain plugs for ventilation if this area does not stay dry.
I will also be a good place to install hooks and secure small items in the cuddy.
Foam was fairly dry but someone had thrown in a bunch of foam P-Nuts.
Mice and roaches had taken up residence in the past as well.
I pulled it all out and hosed it out and refilled with 16 gallons of bottles and noodles.
The bow tank drains into the main hull but very slowly.
With a mirror I see foam in the tube but a hose will not blow it through.
I think it may have a P-nut or two lodged in there.
Should I run a fish tape down there or let it be?

I gleaned the most info from post such as this so that is why I got wordy.
Enough for now.

Fair Winds to all!
TJDSII6630

Postby GreenLake » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:27 am

Thanks for the update.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Day Sailer II Only