unable to locate HIN

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

unable to locate HIN

Postby danielbenavides » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:42 pm

So i just bought an old beat up ds, the guy who sold it to me gave me a bill of sale, no title on trailer or boat. I replaced the wheels and tires and took her home. After cleaning as much age off of it I am unable to find any etched or plates with the HIN. Im not sure where to look for it, and if i cant find a HIN number how will i register the boat without a title
danielbenavides

Re: unable to locate HIN

Postby GreenLake » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:26 pm

Welcome to the forum!

I'll move this one to "DS1 Only" as this is the kind of issue that will plague the older DS1s, those built before '71.

Older boats do indeed not have a standard HIN. Many had a small metal plate that contained the relevant number; some years had that riveted to the wooden coaming at the transom (in that case there may be rivet holes in the wood). Other years had a plaque riveted to the bulkhead inside the cuddy.

Look at the thread on DS1 design changes to help you identify a likely model year (or post detailed pictures). Then approach your DMV or other state licensing office and, stating the year you think it was built, ask them how to acquire an official HIN. You may then have to add that to your boat. (There should be some older posts here where people discuss similar issues).

Check your sails for a sail number. With luck there's one. Become a member of the DSA (Day Sailer Association) and contact the secretary to "register" that number to you.

Some people have reverse engineered a pre-HIN hull number plate, but usually when they had some idea what the actual hull number had been - in the early years, the "hull" number was not model specific, but counted all the hulls by the same builder, the "sail" or "class" number was assigned separately and was model specific. Nowadays, the latter is part of the HIN as HINs are model-specific, with a prefix for builder and date.

Let us know what you find out about the rules and processes in your state.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby danielbenavides » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:27 pm

Called Texas Parks and Wildlife for registration information. They say without a title and without a HIN I will need to go to the nearest TPWD to apply for a game warden to inspect my boat. If im approved for an inspection, I will be put in contact with a game warden to schedule an inspection appointment. That game warden might do the inspection at the office or in the field, or at my house? apparently its up to the warden. I hope they don't think they're going to find a HIN. im being told my DS is a DS1 probably from the early 1960s! very exciting news. so for now im seeking advice on what to do with my DS, where to start the restoration process. I've posted about 30 photos on the Day Sailer Association public group facebook page, I couldn't figure out how to post them here. Thank you for all your help, im finding that most of the people messing with these things are pretty laid back. again thank you for all your help.
danielbenavides

Postby JamesC64 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:38 pm

I just picked up a DS hull and trailer here in Dallas the other day without a title. It has a HIN, after much searching I found one on the upper starboard side of the transom that had been etched in with one of those vibrating etchers. But, the HIN is partially unreadable. One of the characters looks like it could be an 11, but that makes 13 characters, which is one too may. I have tried running the HIN on various sites, and came up with it being a 1979 Rebel Industries Daysailer. I had to change the 11 to an M to get that. Should be fun trying too get a title for it. I too am having problems posting pics on here. Will try again tonight.
Going by the descriptions I have read here, it is a DS1. It has the lever for the centerboard and the little "sink" for the outboard mount. No floorboards though, has a fiberglass overlay over some type of wood. It is drying out right now so I can get a better look at that part.
JamesC64

Postby GreenLake » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:32 pm

The forum has some restrictions on maximum file sizes for images; these were set up a while ago by Bob Hunkins (or his predecessor). They may be surprising if you are used to a website resizing images on the fly.

For details, and suggestions, theres' a long post in the "How to use this forum" section.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby DesertRat » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:42 pm

Here in Utah, the law officer has to inspect the boat to see if there is a HIN. If he doesn't find one, then he fills out a form that is taken to the DMV saying no HIN found. Then the DMV creates a HIN that is unique to Utah, and they tell you to make a plate or etch that number into the transom.
DesertRat

Return to Day Sailer I Only