Repairing damage due to recovering from a capsize

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Repairing damage due to recovering from a capsize

Postby Lil Maggie » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:44 pm

Well, you all heard about my boat going over last month and all the recovery drama (leaky flotation tanks, over eager rescuer, turning turtle, etc). As a result of the recovery (two attempts, the second being successful....at a price), finally had some time to start repairs on the damage:
1-the starboard side chainplate was bent-that was a quick trip to the vise; no cracks on the plate so it is now nice and straight
2- a 6" crack in the hull about 6" aft of the chainplate near the hull/deck joint caused due to #3-cleaned out the crack with an angle grinder, beveled the inside of fiberglass, made a patch consisting of 3 layers (2 cloth and 1 mat), laid on a piece o waxed paper and saturated with west system epoxy, allowed to cure about 15 minutes while I applied a coat of epoxy on the inside of the hull near the tear; brought in the patch and laid it over the damaged area and it stuck like a band aid, squeezed out any bubbles and wiped away excess drippage and let it cure. Two hours later came back from dinner and peeled away the wax paper to a nice and smooth patch on the inside, solid as a rock

3-A 1 foot long separation of the hull/deck joint...the stapled lip that is hidden by and holds the two piece rub rail is gone for about 6". the plan is to lay fiberglass cloth tape on the inside with epoxy resin and rebuild the missing joint lip on the outside around the chainplate to be able to re-rivet the inner rub rail piece. Besides that my plan is to apply 5200 compound along the inside of the hull/deck joint along the whole sheer line of the boat besides the f/g tape over the missing lip area.

Pictures coming soon

Of course, comments and suggestions are always welcome
cheers
Mike
A crappy day sailing is better than a good one at home...
DS 1 #2313
Lil Maggie

Re: Repairing damage due to recovering from a capsize

Postby GreenLake » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:09 am

Sounds like you are making progress.

About reinforcing the hull-deck joint, I'd say that applying any caulking (even if adhesive) after the fact (that is, on the outside of one side of the joint), it may not add much strength.

You might be better off running the glass tape for a longer stretch.

There's the effect of making the joint watertight, but unless you are planning to capsize again, or at least bury the rail a lot, I don't see that it would be something that matters in practice. Now, if you were able to pry apart the joint far enough to get it properly bedded in 5200 that would be a different matter.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Lil Maggie » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:05 pm

hmm...good point on that, the 5200 was my dad's suggestion (to apply to the inside of the seam), but I was thinking it more important to glue the inspection port rims with it...it's there if I need it but I'm not in the mood to pull out 50+year-old staples and rivets to separate that joint...no need and you're right, f/g tape on the inside will be more effective.

Pictures coming soon...promise
Mike
DS 1 #2313
Lil Maggie

Postby Lil Maggie » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:02 pm

some pictures of the repair in progress:
DS 1 #2313
Lil Maggie

Postby GreenLake » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:12 am

For any hardware do not use 5200!

There will be the time someone has to replace the ports. Use a decent marine caulk instead and you'll be fine.

Think of 5200 as a special purpose and very permanent glue and therefore not needed for anything that's screwed on (and / or needs to be replaceable).

Thanks for the pictures.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Lil Maggie » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:37 am

I wasn't thinking on gluing the lids but the actual flanges, which are only screwed to the seat sides (honestly I don't remember caulking them when I put them in, and if I did, all I had around was bathtub silicone..

Mike
DS 1 #2313
Lil Maggie

Postby GreenLake » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:15 pm

These ports (and flanges) do not last as long as the boat. The latter last nearly forever, so you or some future owner will be very unhappy if a simple replacement of a cracked port turns into a massive job.

Don't use silicone - it's supposedly near impossible to remove from gelcoat and would then prevent any later attempts at painting. (And you never know - my entire boat, hull and deck, was painted by a previous owner and the color scheme alone made that worth the effort). For the purpose, there are other types of caulk (poly sulfide, I think) that work just as well.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Lil Maggie » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:16 pm

I posted some more repair photos on the FB Day Sailer Association page...
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DaySailers/?multi_permalinks=10156640565163194&notif_id=1537139547930669&notif_t=feedback_reaction_generic

Additional pictures uploaded to my personal album:

All that is left is sealing cracks on portside tank, new plugs, a little bit of fairing and lots of sanding....a little paint and should be good to go
DS 1 #2313
Lil Maggie

Postby JamesC64 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:11 pm

Better than caulking is a bedding compound. It is water tight and removable if and when the inspection port needs to be replaced. Dolphinite and Interlux make bedding compounds.
JamesC64

Postby GreenLake » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:08 pm

Or Butyl tape.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Lil Maggie » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:52 pm

I ended up using latex caulking....seems to hold better than the silicone I used when I installed the covers 5 years ago. See how long these last...meanwhile I can report that the boat is as good as new; put it in the water yesterday with less than ideal weather (northeast winds 5-15 kts and drizzle) and I heard no creaks, no groans...the boat sailed rather well on both tacks; however, the mast felt extremely heavy...so I took the masthead off and found pounds and pounds of wet, soggy, black-looking styrofoam beads stuck inside the mast; so now with both masthead and tabernacle foot removed I am in the process of removing the waterlogged foam beads using a combination of shop vac and poking device, which varied from cedar batten to old fly rod to a length of tension wire (for fencing) with a bent finger on one end and attached to a drill on the other end, and slowly roto-rooting and removing the soggy foam clumps. If anybody knows of a better method to do this please chime in...I understand the value of some flotation inside the mast but waterlogged foam does nothing for me other than decreasing my righting moment...

I plan to make a plug of closed cell foam just below the mast head and seal all the holes in the mast (old holes, I found a few) with rivets and epoxy, and leave a weep hole near the tabernacle foot to take care of inner condensation and be done with it...

cheers
Mike
DS 1 #2313
Lil Maggie

Postby Lil Maggie » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:10 pm

Some more photos of the repair and a little test-sail...
DS 1 #2313
Lil Maggie

Postby GreenLake » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:08 am

Lil Maggie wrote:I plan to make a plug of closed cell foam just below the mast head and seal all the holes in the mast (old holes, I found a few) with rivets and epoxy, and leave a weep hole near the tabernacle foot to take care of inner condensation and be done with it...

Sounds like a plan
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Lil Maggie » Sat May 09, 2020 9:09 pm

Don't mean to bump and old post but...finally got around to fix the old drain holes on the seats. The original location didn't lend itself for a practical solution, so I plugged them using some 1" circles cut from F/G mat sandwiched between two layers (outer and inner) of F/G cloth. I then drilled a 1" hole slightly higher and on the side of the seat facing the centerboard trunk, then glued and screwed in plastic flanges for screw-type plugs with rubber gaskets (like the drain plugs on a sunfish)....pictures coming soon. Can't wait for some decent weather (when I'm not working) so I can put this thing in the water!
DS 1 #2313
Lil Maggie

Postby GreenLake » Sat May 09, 2020 9:58 pm

Like to see a picture of these plugs. . .
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Next

Return to Repair and Improvement