Identifying old DS

Moderator: GreenLake

Identifying old DS

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 23, 1998 12:00 am

I have a vintage day sailer (i presume a day sailer 1). It has plank seats, a "double transom" with a drain plug draining into the cockpit, a small "floatation chamber" in the bow with a drain plug, and an external outboard mount, The deck is molded to look like wood, it has jam cleats in the wooden coamings, and cam cleats on blocks outside of the coamings.
The sail does not have a number, the trailer is from 1964, and the person I bought it from has no other info. I have looked at the DSA manufacturers specs and can't determine an age. There is no hull number or plate I can find.

David Britton (dlbritton-at-lucent.com)

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 25, 1998 12:00 am

David, What state is your boat in, may be one of our DSA members could come over and look at it and give you some idea.

Sounds like you have one of the three number series boats

Gus Heismann (gheismann-at-hotmail.com)

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 26, 1998 1:00 am

This sounds just like a DS1 I've been looking at buying. When I looked, I couldn't find the hull number either, but the owner said it was under the seats somewhere... I haven't been back to see, though. Have you looked there? With the plank seats, it's definitely an early DS1.

Kevin Clark

Kevin Clark (clark-at-aud.alcatel.com)

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 26, 1998 1:00 am

Sounds exactly like a boat I was looking at buying some months ago. That boat was class number 675. That boat also had a threaded mast jack where the mast was stepped on the keel to allow adjusting the shroud tension. Can't give you a date of manufacturer, but I guessed that the boat I was looking at dated from 1959 to the early 60's.

David Blakey (dblakey-at-chkd.com)

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 02, 2000 12:00 am

In response to the above correspondence: the boat in question must be before 1964 because I own a '64 DS I with a threaded mast step, wooden coamings, etc. The plank seats suggest a previous version of a '64, so maybe you are a lucky owner of a late fifties to early sixties.

Hans (allpro-at-wenet.net)

Return to History