Weak hull on port side

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Weak hull on port side

Postby Guest » Sun May 02, 2004 10:46 pm

I have a rather serious problem that I hope someone can provide some assistance with: My 1971 DSII port side hull deflects (caves in) much more so than stbd. side, so much so that boat actually lists to port a bit on the mooring. Needless to say, starboard tack in a blow is a challenge as she'll easily heel over to the rail (or more) if I'm not very careful. This topic came up here in 1998 but I've been unable to contact the parties involved.

As the interior hull is inaccessable -without cutting into the molded in seats/floor, I'm looking for ideas for repair. Does anyone know where the stringers, if any, are? I'm considering cutting into the side of the seat molding and jamming something between the hull and seat/floor to support the hull. I realize the obvious fix is the trash the boat and get another..but..I wonder..is there a way?
Thanks for any ideas.

Bud (budagb-at-yahoo.com)

Postby Roger » Mon May 03, 2004 9:15 am

Not sure if this helps, but there is a longitudinal stringer along both sides of the centreboard trunk running in line with the inspection ports. You can actually see this member if you look in the port. The seatbacks are hollow, but the seat bottoms are full of foam floatation. You can get at the area behind the seats by cutting an inspection port into the back of the seats. I am not sure where a stringer would be back there but the logical place would be inline with the horizontal plane of the seat or inline with the vertical plane of the back of the seat. I do know that the seat front provides a support by going all the way down to the bottom of the hull. I have pictures of the bilge area which support this.
Roger

Return to Repair and Improvement