Painting Hull

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Painting Hull

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 21, 2000 7:27 am

Does any out there know of an epoxy paint other than Interlux VC brand that comes in colors other than white? The Interlux is great stuff, but I would like a color on the hull instead of white. Any suggestion?

Rex Sheler

Rex Sheler (signroute-at-aol.com)

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 24, 2000 8:07 pm

Dear Rex,
I am unsure what VC stands for, but I used Petit Easypoxy for my DS1. This is a one-part polyurethane that comes in many various colors. I know that Interlux makes a similar called Brightsides. I am unsure if this is what you are looking for, but it really turned out nice on my boat. P.S. Make sure you use the primer, it really cuts down on the number of coats.

Eric J. Nelson (nelsonjnelson-at-msn.com)

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 29, 2000 11:23 am

Interlux VC-17 comes in 3 colors, original (white?), red, and blue.
VC-Offshore comes in red, black, or blue.

Do you race? VC being a teflon antifoulant is not cheap!

Rod Johnson (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 30, 2000 9:19 pm

Upon further research, I found out that the correct name of the paint is Interlux VC Underwater, and it is a 2 part epoxy, white and very hard when cured. It is not an anti-foulant and is considered a satin finish according to a friend who applied 5 coats to his 37' sea ray power boat. It can be sanded and buffed yearly if required.
Rex

Rex Sheler (signroute-at-aol.com)

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 13, 2002 7:19 pm

You might try DuPont Imron. Its not epoxy, rather polyurethane, but its a favorite exterior finish for one-offs in the marine insdustry. I have seen it applied to a Flying Junior and the finish looked great. Barcold rating(hardness) should definitely compare to an epoxy finish. Be warned that if you are doing a deck unless you mask it off and go over it with a second spray with a non-skid additive your non-skid will no longer serve its intended purpose. I found a DuPont site that might point you in the right direction: http://www.dupont.com/finishes/na/000401.html

Jim McKnight (mcjim-at-iserv.net)

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 14, 2002 8:32 am

I used Interlux Brightsides on my Daysailer II (1974 vintage) and it looks great (fresh painted) after the 1st year. My boat stays in the water all summer, freshwater. This paint is fairly easy to use if you follow the label directions. It's a 1 part polyurethane and comes in a rainbow of colors. I highly recommend it.

jim (jimb-at-dsouth.com)

Postby psness » Mon May 10, 2004 3:33 pm

Did you use Brightsides on the bottom? I thought it was for above the water line only.
psness

Postby Guest » Tue May 11, 2004 8:54 am

Brightsides goes above the waterline. I used an ablative anti-foulant below the waterline. I do not race.
Jim

jim (jimb-at-dsouth.com)

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:32 pm

I've decided to tow my DS 1 to a local marina and have it put on stands so I can paint the hull, how high should the hull be off the ground to allow for the centerboard to be lowered, thanks Greg

Greg Ciampa (gciampa-at-cox.net)

Postby psness » Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:41 am

I am in the process of painting, using Pettit on my DS II and it looks great. It's expensive but does a good job as a 1-part.
psness

Postby Roger » Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:46 pm

39" of draft with the cb down plus 9" with the cb up=48 inches total to have the board all the way down.
Roger

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:00 pm

How much paint for the hull, and or the hull and topsides together? Does this amount include the cockpit?

Thanks.

Bob Rowe (rowerw-at-comcast.net)

Postby psness » Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:08 pm

Don't know yet. I'll tell when I'm finished.
psness

How Much Paint

Postby DS180 » Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:52 am

See post on DS180 restoration for the paint quantity I used. IMHO I would not recommend painting the hull while upright. Flip it over, it's easy to do, and you can do it in your front yard, no need for fancy jackstands. As for the CB, just unbolt it, pull it out and paint it separately.

Charlie Freeman
DS180
Charlie Freeman
s/v Kamaloha (Tayana 37) and DS180
DS180

Return to Repair and Improvement