New Sailor to the group

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

New Sailor to the group

Postby Flutterby » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:04 pm

Last week I purchased a 1964 Daysailer 1 (I think) Presently I am racing a Soling in Port Stanley, Ont. But it is nice to have a choice to sail.
I picked up a boat that looks like it has been in dry storage for 30 years, still has a shine on the gel coat.
Thanks to all your posts I have a good idea what needs to be done to get her (Flutterby) in good shape.
I have updated the class spreadsheet. Not sure how to attach pictures with such a low threshold.
When I figure that out I will update
Sail Fast and Safe
Garry Graham
Flutterby

Picture of Flutterby

Postby Flutterby » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:26 pm

flutterby home-001.JPG
flutterby home-001.JPG (192.91 KiB) Viewed 10980 times
Flutterby

Re: New Sailor to the group

Postby GreenLake » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:42 pm

Welcome to the forum. I merged your posts so people will find the picture with the description.

Definitely a DS1. Do you have a builder's plate showing the year?
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Flutterby » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:35 pm

No sign of a registration plate.
The boat came with some really old sails with the number 1597.
Regards
Garry
Flutterby

Postby GreenLake » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:09 pm

OK; if that is original, the sail number would fit the date range and the deck color fits the early mid 60's. My '63, now repainted, had that color gelcoat for the deck.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Flutterby » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:03 pm

Thanks. My guess was not far off :)
One thing that seems to be original is the Jib sheet. It has a turning block on the side deck with a jam cleat about 1 foot behind. No modification to lead jib sheet through wood coaming. This would be very hard to sail with. There is a horn cleat on the centerboard house, it would work as a set it and forget it basis :)
Thanks for your input.
Garry
Flutterby

Postby GreenLake » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:35 am

Detail picture?

Are you sure that these aren't spinnaker blocks?

The horn cleat on the CB? I have that as well, but not sure what it was supposed to secure. PO did not use it for jib sheets, but his cleats were aftermarket (the tracks and fairleads themselves were original).

My DS has a molded in round spot in the side decks that was intended for some turning block. In fact it was factory drilled, but then the holes filled with matching gelcoat. Also not sure whether that was a place to mount spinnaker sheet turning blocks, or whether it was a leftover design when they had the through the coaming jib sheets.

PO for my boat never had a spinnaker rigged. I don't have forward turning blocks, but I could see how leading the spin sheets from the back to 180° blocks on the side decks with cleats a foot behind would work reasonably well.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Flutterby » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:35 pm

Thanks for your response

When I try and add more pictures the system tell me that ...The file is too big, maximum allowed size is 256 KiB.
Even if I add 1 photo. Obviously, I do not understand what I am doing :).
Can you tell me what is the right method of uploading photos.
Sincerely,
Garry
Flutterby

Postby Flutterby » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:48 pm

I figured out how to downsize pics. Take a look and let me know what you think.
The side blocks seem to far forward for a spin block but about the right spot for a guy. I do have the round raised spot on the side deck but no sign of being used.
Thanks again
Garry
Attachments
sF cockpit 1IMG-0565.jpg
sF cockpit 1IMG-0565.jpg (60.14 KiB) Viewed 10901 times
sF side blocks.jpg
sF side blocks.jpg (69.5 KiB) Viewed 10901 times
sF rear deck (2).jpg
sF rear deck (2).jpg (79.54 KiB) Viewed 10901 times
Flutterby

Postby GreenLake » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:13 pm

About the pictures: the key is to compress them a bit, that is, set jpg quality to medium of your tool supports it (and something between 800 and 1200 pixels on the long edge works best for those viewing the attachments). We are due for an upgrade of the forum software, so let's see whether those constraints remain (but getting there may take a bit).

Your pictures do not show whether there are turning blocks at the stern of the boat. If not, then yours isn't set up for spinnakers (the only blocks you show there is the one for the traveler/main-sheet bridle), all the spots where spinnaker blocks would be are out of frame/covered. With blocks in the back, the system could have been one of sheeting to the back, then running the sheet forward to the blocks you show, then cleating them on the side deck - that would seem to be a nice way to keep the spinnaker sheets out of the cockpit. Our sailing conditions rarely call for cleating either sheet or guy, so I just run them directly into the cockpit from the blocks in the stern - placed forward of the stern docking cleats. That's not 100% ideal as they tend to get sat on or trapped between someone's back and the coamings. So, seeing your post, I could imagine using them as described to good advantage.

On a DS it would be untypical for people to rig double spinnaker sheets/guys, so if you wanted to use those blocks for a guy, it would have to be a snatch block. I believe some people do use a fixed-eye fairlead with a side opening (so it's more like a hook than an eye) and hook the guy there to get a better angle. As you race a Soling you'll know all about rigging spinnakers, of course.

You'd probably want to put tracks on the inside of your coamings for the jib sheets and to rig barber inhauls for better sheeting angle.

A recent post from the person who put #8011 on the market had pictures that show a typical setup for the controls on the cuddy top:
CB system and jib blocks.jpg
Day Sailer #8011 CB jib blocks
CB system and jib blocks.jpg (143.23 KiB) Viewed 10892 times
Cuddy top labeled.jpg
Day Sailer #8011 cuddy top layout
Cuddy top labeled.jpg (182.04 KiB) Viewed 10892 times

Here's a picture of my jib tracks and upgrade to ratchet block as well as my rather jury-rigged spinnaker blocks (the setup was intended to be temporary to try out a "free" second-hand spinnaker, but worked so well, I haven't felt the need to rig anything more permanent).
(Click to enlarge, slightly)
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Flutterby » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:25 pm

Thanks that helps a lot. Looking forward to the spring.
Flutterby

Postby Flutterby » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:17 pm

BTW my boat has a mast jack, probably nails it as a 1964
More to follow :)
Flutterby

Postby GreenLake » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:35 pm

Mast jack. Do we have a column for that in the spreadsheet?
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Mast Jacks

Postby Flutterby » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:27 pm

I don't think the spreadsheet has a column for mast jacks. I read somewhere they stopped using them in 1964 (I think :~))
Flutterby

Re: Mast Jacks

Postby GreenLake » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:23 pm

Flutterby wrote:I don't think the spreadsheet has a column for mast jacks. I read somewhere they stopped using them in 1964 (I think :~))

Well, for various reasons, I believe mine is a '63 and with mast jack.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Day Sailer I Only