Venturi Self Bailers?

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Venturi Self Bailers?

Postby Bluet » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:26 am

Greetings,

I have a 2007 CCSB day sailer I’d like to add some sort of self bailer to. I see that most use a DePersia Sunfish style bailer. While I have some experience with these, I’m a little hesitant to add one as I think it would be easily damaged during launching and recovery from the trailer. My trailer is a 1994 from a SLI boat and has several central rollers as well as two bilge bunks aft. The CCSB boat has a place for bailer next to the CB trunk on the port side. I think the plastic DePersia would get broken almost right away. Has anyone tried an Andersen/Elvstrom style bailer which seals flush? For that matter, all I’m really after is some on the trailer drainage. What about just a sealable flush screw plug? I’m a racer at heart, and the plugs I’ve found tend not to be the most hydrodynamic. Any advice would be appreciated.

Best Regards,
Mike
Bluet

Re: Venturi Self Bailers?

Postby tomodda » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:00 pm

If you're just drawing on the trailer, what about a transom drain? There's been several discussions here about those, do a search. Also look at the bylaws for what's class-legal, if you care about that.

Tom
tomodda

Postby GreenLake » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:21 pm

I don't think there's anything about bailers in the bylaws.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby tomodda » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:39 pm

Any bailer is OK, but drain holes in the transom have to follow spec:

5.9. Manual or through-the-hull suction-type bailing devices are allowed.
5.10. A maximum of 2 openings are allowed in the transom. Transom openings shall not
exceed 5 inches in height and 10 inches in width, and may not be closer than 1/2 inch
to the inside bottom of the hull nor closer than 4 inches to the centerline of the
transom. Transom openings shall be fitted with covers.
tomodda

Postby GreenLake » Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:11 pm

Those dimensions and locations seem to make any kind of small transom drain with plug illegal. They are usually flush with the bottom of the hull and as close to the centerline as possible. As many boats are fitted with them, that restriction doesn't make sense.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Bluet » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:17 pm

Hmmm. This will require some measuring. The Cape Cod Shipbuilding hull has very little freeboard aft by comparison to a true DS1. The deck/cockpit plug seems to slope forward towards amidships. Still, this might be a more simple answer. Thanks!
Bluet

Return to Repair and Improvement