Barber Haulers

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: Barber Haulers

Postby DigitalMechanic » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:06 pm

Wow! A year has gone by. I feel like I have neglected this boat, lol. Been so busy working on my other boat, sailing it, and sailing other peoples boats...

I have had her out a few times since doing this, but seem to always forget to rig the haulers. We had a nice (for summer time) 8-10 mph breeze yesterday afternoon. I think that I really like this mod. It allows you to make a much better sail shape, and close up the slot a little more. My buddy was at the tiller while I was playing around with the jib and haulers. I could noticeably (could feel it) power up the boat by just playing the hauler. Pretty cool!

I am happy with the rings I used, was a fun little project to make them. However, I had to lift them back up after pretty much every tack. Not really a big deal, but if one were to spring for the expense of a couple blocks, my guess is that they would probably lift up the jib sheet on their own. At any rate, no big deal... I will stick with my little creations :D
DigitalMechanic

Postby GreenLake » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:38 pm

I used plastic blocks that were original equipment for some boat like a Laser. They have no ball bearings, but do ride up the sheet immediately.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Are these Barber Haulers?

Postby RobH912 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:14 am

After some searches I thought I would post this question to an existing Barber Hauler thread.

I was looking for pictures / examples of what people use for their barber hauler set up?

Also looking for help in identifying what maybe the barber haulers that the previous owner left behind in the "bag of extra parts
... think these are my barber haulers ? One clip is broken. The part say NAB and Made in England, but my google search didn't find anything.

Nice work on braiding the line around the lead ring in this thread.

Is there an easier set up (not requiring braiding)?

Thanks!
Attachments
image2.jpeg
image2.jpeg (134.52 KiB) Viewed 10453 times
image1.jpeg
image1.jpeg (146.93 KiB) Viewed 10453 times
Rob

DS1 #2444
Cape Cod
Eastham, MA
RobH912

Postby GreenLake » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:26 pm

Rob, it's called splicing, not "braiding" and doing a tight splice around a thimble or eye in double-braided rope is not for everyone. I and others here have enjoyed the challenge, but.

Your first options would be to use different types of rope, instead of the double-braid shown. I used three-strand, and did a traditional eye-splice. They are fun to do and more obvious in how you get there to a novice. You could also use Dyneema (AmSteel) rope and use a Brummel splice. Those are super easy to do and the only tool you need is a bit of stiff wire bent in a sharp U. (You wedge the free end into the U to pull it through the splice, no need for "fids" and other specialized tools). Instructions for either one are a quick web-search away.

Or you get some sturdy thread and do a sewn splice. Just lead the rope around the eye, and lay the short end parallel to the long end and sew them together. That works with pretty much any kind of rope (even rope that can't be spliced any other way). To make it look prettier you can "whip" the splice, that is wrap it tightly with yarn, burying the ends. Instead of sewing, you can also just take a bit of stainless steel wire and (with a pair of vise grips) wrap a few very tight turns. If done tightly enough it will hold well.

Finally, you could use a knot. You'd want something compact that cinches itself tight like a Buntline Hitch. You can find instructions online, easy to tie, very compact, but won't come undone by itself.

Using any of these methods, secure a low-friction ring like the one shown in the first post. (Sold online or in shops that carry sailing parts).

What your PO had could be opened and clipped to the sheet after it was rigged. There's no need for that and these clips look like they would have quite a bit of friction. (Some people here claim that even the low-friction rings don't slide well enough and insist on blocks).

PS: you don't show the end of the green lines; they should be about 6' long. If much longer, they'd be for something else.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby RobH912 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:52 pm

GL - thanks for the information on splicing and various ways to attach a line to a ring for a barber hauler set up.

Think I am going to first try the buntline hitch and have found that Harken sells rings. You mention the friction on the clips from the sheet; the clips that came with the boat (look very old) have a slight groove / polish mark on the inside that has been worn down over the years from the sheet rubbing through it. Yes the green lines are almost 7 feet long, and I think the boat has the hardware. I'll go look tomorrow.

Sailed in a DS race yesterday and I was sailing with someone I'd just met to crew / to handle the jib and their first question when they got on the boat was "where are the barber haulers?" He looked at the boat and pointed out some hardware that he thought would work.

We did pretty well even without the BH (my 2nd race in the DS) I happy the way the boat sailed.

Thanks!
Rob

DS1 #2444
Cape Cod
Eastham, MA
RobH912

Postby GreenLake » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:17 pm

Sure, that's what I would do: go with something that doesn't commit you (like a knot) and then make more permanent as needed.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby RobH912 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:28 pm

GL - So quick follow up question on size of lead ring. My jib sheet looks to be 5/16 line, so should I get a ring with a center hole that is approximately 2x the sheet diameter?

Here is a chart for example on Harken Rings.... https://www.p2marine.com/documents/hark ... -rings.pdf

So a center hole of 9/16 or 7/8? I am thinking I want the sheet to easily slide in the ring, but also not weigh more than it needs to.

Thanks!
Rob

DS1 #2444
Cape Cod
Eastham, MA
RobH912

Postby GreenLake » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:23 pm

You need to also size the groove to the line you are using for the BH.

I'd think that the critical diameter for friction is not so much the one of the hole, but the one that goes through the hole.

In principle. I should think 9/16 is plenty or even 7/16. You'll be using it with minimal deflection after all.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby RobH912 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:52 am

GL thanks. I am going with the 9/16 inside hole diameter which is the 14 mm ring.

Also went to the top of this thread and now see that the original picture of the ring / splice shows the number 14 on that ring.

Yes understand the outside ring groove width comment for the line.

Thanks!
Rob

DS1 #2444
Cape Cod
Eastham, MA
RobH912

Postby DigitalMechanic » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:00 am

Well, I just saw this :D

GL pretty much has it covered. I would say that it would be more finesse to use a block instead of ring, but certainly not necessary. At times I think you will have to assist the movement of the ring if you want it to be dead center of pull. We are talking about a fraction of an inch if we are being really picky. I have not tried it, but there is spray (Sailkote McLube) that is for dry greasing sliding parts. Would not hurt to coat the rings in them. I know it makes a big difference on genoa tracks and mast tracks. Might help the ring center up perfectly.

-Paul
DigitalMechanic

Postby GreenLake » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:05 pm

Rob, looks like you got this. Let us know how it works out, like, do you ever need to slide the ring into position, like Paul mentioned. Given the geometry, I can't think that perfect position matters; I used a jury rig once (using bowline knots as loops) just to see whether an inhaul would be useful. Wasn't too bad, but I did upgrade to blocks. (Didn't know about the rings at the time, so might have tried those instead).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby RobH912 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:23 am

Wanted to provide an update and some pictures on adding the barber haulers (in haul) for my jib sheets.

Used the Harken 14mm ring, tied a buntline hitch, there already were clamcleats installed on the boat, and a friend at my club shared with me this link to North Sails Tuning Guide where on pages 4 & 5 North talks about where to mark location on top of cuddy cabin. https://www.northsails.com/sailing/en/r ... ning-guide

Sailed several times now, still learning, but definitely see some improvement.

What it also shows me is that I also need to be working on the controls for my main sail shape (which is not great)... using a make shift Cunningham and a main outhaul systems that both need work.

Thanks for the thoughts and ideas on the BH :D
Attachments
IMG_1537.jpg
IMG_1537.jpg (70.39 KiB) Viewed 10277 times
IMG_1423.jpg
IMG_1423.jpg (206.76 KiB) Viewed 10277 times
IMG_1535.jpg
IMG_1535.jpg (63.11 KiB) Viewed 10277 times
Rob

DS1 #2444
Cape Cod
Eastham, MA