Newbie buying first DS?

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Newbie buying first DS?

Postby kimrpaige » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:17 pm

Hello All,
I am new to the group and Daysailers, however I have sailed or rented them many times, many years ago. I posted a thread on the DS2 forum, but now it seems it should be here, I'll explain. I am buying what the owner says is a 1990 DS. I saw the HIN and can't remember the date code. The mfg code is "RRR" which is Rebel Industries. According to the hull number chart, Rebel did not build them in 1990. The owner wants $700 for it and I am going over again tomorrow to give it a good look over. It was last sailed Sept 2018, so I am thinking it can not be that bad. He did say the sails are dirty and stained. I did not realize that other boat manufacturers other than O'Day built them. I know through this forum that several manufacturers did indeed. My question is what exactly is this boat? I will know for sure tomorrow. I am thinking it is a Spindrift DS1. It also has a square like sink in front of the transom, maybe for fuel tank or battery. I have only seen a couple of pics of a hull like this. There is lettering/decals up on the cuddy, just do not remember what. I will post pictures soon, and hopefully solve my mystery. I cunnently own a Hobie One-14 and owned a like new 1982 Javelin back in 1984. Thanks, Kim
kimrpaige

Re: Newbie buying first DS?

Postby GreenLake » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:47 pm

Have no fear, we'll move your other thread here, if what you are purchasing is really a DS1.

The motor well or integral ice chest in the transom is a hallmark of the DS1. As would be a lever for the centerboard (as opposed to up/down haul lines).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby kimrpaige » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:52 pm

Thanks again Greenlake!!!
I am truly hoping for a lever for the CB. I will have a lot of questions answered tomorrow when I pick it up. Thanks again, Kim
kimrpaige

Postby jalmeida51 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:57 pm

My DaySailer1 was built by Rebel in 1981, hull number 11423. It has the centerboard lever and the built in motor well. According to the hull index, Rebel built them for 3 years, Spindrift took over building them for 4 years. My Florida title says the boat was Rebel Industries but I have other paperwork says Rebel Industries by Spindrift. My hull I.D. says Rebel. If your future boat was built in 1990 I don't think it was built by Rebel or Spindrift. They were out of business by then. By the hull index 1990 boat was built by McClaughlin boat builders in Tenn. They built several one designs.
jalmeida51

Postby kimrpaige » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:45 am

Just picked up the “Mystery Boat”. It is a 1980 Rebel Industries DS1, hull number 11063. All in good shape and mine for $750. Sails are old, maybe original, still crisp, just stained, needs cleaning either by me or professional, have no idea how to clean. Will pressure wash boat when I get it home. It does have the lever for centerboard, PO says gasket leaks a bit, hopefully I can find a new gasket from D&R. I do want to install a tiller tamer sometime. Will post more pictures later, Kim
kimrpaige

Postby GreenLake » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:59 am

Simple tiller tamer: run one bungee cord from side to side across the cockpit. Make a loop of thinner bungee material, triple it and slide it over both the main bungee and the tiller. (Lash the tiller to the bungee with elastic, in other words). Works like a charm. There's enough friction for the lashing to keep the tiller to one spot on the cross-cockpit bungee. But not enough to prevent sliding to a new point as you steer. (If too little friction, or too much, adjust the lashing). Your tiller tamer will always be set when you need to let go. And there's just a bit of give in the cross-cockpit bungee that seems to help the boat stay on course. It's "fit and forget" for this system, and it's always installed when I singlehand.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby kimrpaige » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:31 pm

I tried to post a pic today with iPhone, says file too large, will figure out pics later. One other quick question, Do most people install a topping lift, I have one on my Hobie-One and love it. Will the boom drop in the cockpit when the main is lowered on these boats?
kimrpaige

Postby GreenLake » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:20 am

Pictures: need to compress them a bit, and also resize; or host on a photo site and link here.

Topping lift: as you describe.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby tomodda » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:17 am

Expanding a bit on GL's valid points:

Your photo file sizes need to be less than 256mb. There are apps to help you compress photo files. Cropping helps too.

A tip for the topping lift, keep it simple! Avoid putting an extra block at top of mast and running a line from boom to masthead block and down. Instead, put a fixed attachment, like an eye strap, at the masthead and adjust the topping lift at the end of the boom. I started off by simply tying and retying a few hitches at the boom end, but later on switched to a light cheek block leading the line back to a small cleat at mid-boom. I keep the lift loose while sailing, but occasionally I use it to help shape the sail - light air, reaching downwind, and I want to put some "belly" in the main. Anyway, adjust the topping lift at the boom end, not the mast.

Best,

Tom
tomodda

Postby kimrpaige » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:41 am

Trying to post a pic, hopefully this works.
Attachments
boat 1.jpg
boat 1.jpg (119.1 KiB) Viewed 7561 times
kimrpaige

Postby kimrpaige » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:43 am

Another pic from aft.
Attachments
boat 2.jpg
boat 2.jpg (190.38 KiB) Viewed 7560 times
kimrpaige

Postby jalmeida51 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:01 pm

Nice looking boat, you got a great deal. There is a company in Portsmouth N.H called Vacuwash and cleaning sails is their specialty web site is vacuwash.com phone number is 603-431-6004. They can get most stains out including mildew. I believe they repair and can make sails crisp again. Happy Sailing, John
jalmeida51

Return to Day Sailer I Only