CB crack from capsize / turtle - fix?

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: CB crack from capsize / turtle - fix?

Postby GreenLake » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:40 pm

You're very brave! I've never tried a test capsize and never had a "real" one. The DS is a pretty stable boat. I've "buried the rail" a number of times (but short of getting water in the cockpit) and everything felt very controlled.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby DeanMerrill » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:38 am

Update:

I floated the boat on a small beach area at my dock, and careened it over in the water onto some tires. This worked amazingly well, though I was afraid of the load on the shrouds.

Getting the CB was pretty easy, and the only mishap was went may father dropped his wrench into the bilge... that's going to be rattling around for a bit until we can find a way to fish it out.

Below are photos of the cracked CB:
**NOTE: the images are being cropped by the forum software, but you should be able to right click on them to view the full image ***

Other Side:

It seems like there is a very thin coat of resin or just enamel paint over the wood???
I showed these photos to someone at SailMaine, a group I work and sail with. The person said it would take a lot of work, and my time is really limited this summer. I think I'll move a head and order a new one from D&R.
What is the gray sealant compound used between the bunks and the rubber washers?

I'll be posting photos of the other misc. damage discovered on the boat on a new thread.
DeanMerrill

Postby GreenLake » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:54 pm

I have no idea about your sealant question. I don't know DSII's well enough to know which bunks and rubber washers you might be talking about.

Otherwise, getting a new CB looks about correct.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby DeanMerrill » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:36 am

I just talked with Rudy after ordering a new CB. It seems that the CB that cracked was hand made ( plywood?), so that explains why that when wrong. The old CB has a sizable (1.5"-2") pivot hole. There was a plastic ring that was inserted into the whole that the bolt when through.
Since this seems to be a home made CB, is this plastic ring / spacer common?
I'll try to post photos of this plastic spacer when I can get up north in a few weeks. If you look at the previous photos you can see the size of the pivot hole.
The gray goop that was used, according to Rudy shouldn't of been there. He suggested only using white grease. Luckily the washers seem to be holding a seal nicely as of a few days ago.
Rudy suggested that I investigate the CB box to see if it had collapsed at all, due to manufacturing defects from over production.
DeanMerrill

Postby GreenLake » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:43 am

The
plastic ring that was inserted into the hole that the bolt when through.
Since this seems to be a home made CB, is this
would be called a bushing.

Nylon or metal bushings are common for this application. Sometimes CB has a piece of metal inserted into which the hole is drilled. Then you don't need an additional bushing.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Signalcharlie » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:54 pm

Not sure what the new centerboard costs but we had ours replaced a few years back, new pivot bolt and everything checked out for around $700, well worth the money and the peace of mind.

Log of CYANE: http://smallboatrestoration.blogspot.com/p/o.html
Kent and Skipper
1971 DS II #4624 "CYANE"
Small Boat Restoration blog http://smallboatrestoration.blogspot.com/p/o.html
Signalcharlie

Postby DeanMerrill » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:10 pm

With shipping it was a little over $600 from D&R. Im a bit nervous about drilling into the fiberglass, so I may hire someone to do it as I cant afford to mess it up.
DeanMerrill

Postby DeanMerrill » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:43 pm

The story continues:
I purchased a new CB from D&R, and have been trying to install it for 3 days. With the boat careened, and the pivot holes and downhaul lines set, the board wont fit in. Ive sanded through the wax, and started to remove glass, but it still rubbs. Ive taken a 2x4 and wedges to the CB trunk to try to force it to widen, but it seems like the opening of the trun is too narrow about 6" or aft. I may try to sand a bit off the box opening and the CB. Its taking a long time to remove the glass, and the tolerence is so narrow I worry about not being able to epoxy/paint the CB next season.
Any thoughts?
DeanMerrill

Postby GreenLake » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:48 pm

By wax you mean gelcoat?

Do you mean to say your opening is too narrow all the way to the aft end from about 6" from the front?

Can you take some measurement on how wide it is? Also, is it a smooth L edge all the way into the trunk or did someone try to "narrow" it at one point?

Normally the trunk opening should be determined by a plug around which the fiberglass is laid up; there shouldn't be appreciable differences from boat to boat, should there?

I'll measure the opening on mine when I get back to the boat, but it's a DS1 (and who knows whether that makes a difference).

Did you discuss with Rudy at D&R?
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby DeanMerrill » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:54 pm

The board came with a white coat on it, which Rudy reffered to it as a wax coat. The stuff was really hard, so it may have been a gel coat. The board fits into the trunk nonproblem all the way aft, but the the middle of the board still draggs / scrapes/ rubs in thr box and prevents it from retracting all the way. This spot starts in the center of the bord 6" or so down from the pivot, and goes for about 1.5-2'.
I may call Rudy tomorrow if I cant get it to fit.
Rudy said that the DS II's were produced too fast, and werent given enough time to cure... on the mold Im assumig. This causes the trunks to not be uniform.
DeanMerrill

Postby DeanMerrill » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:12 pm

I finally goto the CB in. It took 3 days of sanding down the gelcoat and glass in spots on thr CB and thr inside of the trunk. It seems that there is a combo of things going on.
1. Board is slightly too fat / thick
2. The CB box/trunk enterance shrunk due to rushed manufacturing
3. Osmosis in the box enterance

After the install the rigging works, though it takes more force on the lines due to the new CB's additional weight. The downhaul has to be pulled straight up to drop thr CB, not a big deal.

The new CB has additional weight which has made the boat markedly more stable!
If I can find a heated space to work on thr boat this winter, I'll pull the CB out and put some epoxy on it, sand and dry out all the osmosis and give her a new paint job.
DeanMerrill

Postby GreenLake » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:48 pm

Hmmmh. A class-legal DS CB weighs in at 25lbs max. Is yours heavier than that? Curious. Or was your other one much too light???

Anyway, glad you got this to where you apparently could take it on the water successfully!
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby DeanMerrill » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:28 pm

I think the previous one was much lighter than that, and what D&R orders is weighted.
DeanMerrill

Postby GreenLake » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:00 am

Hmmm.

Something sounds off, here, because with such a CB you could never enter your DS into a race (if held according to class rules). If you are determined to just cruise, then that's OK and the added stability from a weighted board would be nice.

But, because if it's over 25lbs, it would not be class legal, it would seem to me that it could not be an original part; that might explain the discrepancy you noticed in thickness.

I happen to race in the kind of "Wednesday night" races that are open to all and nobody cares whether your boat conforms as long as you don't run it into some other boats. That kind of even can be a lot of fun, especially for people who aren't primarily competitive, but would like a change from sailing solo. For those kinds of scenarios, you don't need to worry about keeping your boat class-legal. (The same applies if its located where no future buyer would purchase it for racing).

Anyway, thanks for the updates.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Previous

Return to Day Sailer II Only