I own a Daysailer!!

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

I own a Daysailer!!

Postby Nephroid » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:09 am

So I finally bit the bullet and purchased a "new to me" '72 DSII. Looking forward to having the whole family on board together and sailing with a head sail.

My purchase decision was covered on my last post here:
https://forum.daysailer.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6106

I'm still taking a thorough inventory of projects (critical, important, nice to have) for both boat and trailer. I plan to detail out each project as we go along. Technically, she's in sailable condition though, and I'd like to get her rigged and in the water just once this season to get a fuller assessment of what's needed. In preparing to do so, I had a couple of specific questions. Accompanying pics below. I'm still figuring out formatting so hope everything looks okay.

1. Pintles and Gudgeons - the rudder seems to be an OEM O'Day rudder assembly but there is a strange flat metal hook mounted on the leading edge of the rudder between the two pintles. Not sure what it’s for but it seems to touch the hull when mounted and seems to have worn its way through the gelcoat. My initial instinct was to remove the part but wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing anything

IMG_3837.JPG
"Hook" between pintles on rudder
IMG_3837.JPG (120.93 KiB) Viewed 7857 times

2. Centerboard Downhaul – the centerboard downhaul (green line) seems to have worked its way between the centerboard and the wall of the cb trunk. There doesn’t appear to be a visible track for the downhaul to ride in and, given the line thickness, this would seem a common occurrence. What is the best way to address this, would a thicker line help? How does the line even attach inside the CB?

IMG_3840.JPG
Fouled CB downhaul
IMG_3840.JPG (185.1 KiB) Viewed 7857 times

3. Cam cleats on top of CB trunk - there is an interesting pair of cam cleats atop the CB trunk. They are single cam, and seem to be made of some kind of resin reinforced wood. The CB uphaul is threaded through the forward cam cleat but I’m wondering what the second one is for. I suppose it could be used as an alternative to the horn cleat for the CB downhaul but the routing would be very awkward. Also difficult to see on the pics but the forward cam cleat was put on an angled base that tilts it a couple degrees to port. Wasn’t sure what the typical setup is and why mine was set up that way.

IMG_3856.JPG
Cam cleats atop CB trunk
IMG_3856.JPG (154.1 KiB) Viewed 7857 times

That’s it for now. What does everyone think. Lots to do and lots to learn. Looking forward to the journey.
Nephroid

Re: I own a Daysailer!!

Postby Alan » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:00 pm

Congratulations!

The metal piece between the pintles doesn't look stock. My best guess is that it's a spring designed to create side force on the pintles so they don't pop out of the gudgeons. One of my pintles has a small hole through it that allows for a clip to be installed to do the same thing.

The cam cleats on the centerboard trunk look like jib sheet cleats. As far as I know, this wasn't stock on DSIIs, but it's a common upgrade.

The line falling down between the centerboard and the trunk is also a common problem. The centerboard line arrangement went through several revisions over the years, without - in my humble opinion - ever producing a trouble-free system. Later models, like my 1980, used a piece of shock cord in the line system to place tension on the line to keep it from falling down.

I'm away from the boat for a couple of days so I'm winging it from memory. I can supply more details on the centerboard next week.
Alan

Safety device: rudder catch

Postby GreenLake » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:46 pm

The flat metal piece looks like a damaged rudder catch (or whatever the correct name is for that piece)
That is a safety device that prevents the rudder from falling out in a capsize or other sudden movement of the boat (so you are not relying entirely on gravity).

It's a flat strip of metal that is slightly bent (160-170° angle) so it rests against the inside of the pintle and, as the rudder is raised pushes against the gudgeon, preventing the rudder from being pulled out w/o it being depressed.

Alan is right in that it doesn't look like the stock part: from the photo, my guess is that somebody violently ripped the rudder out without releasing the catch; I've seen that happen, and they look approximately like that afterwards.

You can make a replacement from a strip of stainless steel, or purchase it from anyone selling sailboat parts. For my rudder-rebuild, I bought one from https://www.fisheriessupply.com/.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby GreenLake » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:50 pm

Alan is correct about the jib cleats. The CB line shouldn't be cleated there. There must be some other place to cleat it?

For the CB line issues, please read way back in this DSII section of the forum. The issue has been discussed multiple times and there are several solutions (I don't own a DSII myself, so I don't try to remember them, just know I've seen them).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Nephroid » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:25 pm

Thanks, Alan & GreenLake!

1. Jib cleats would be a logical conclusion. Do all daysailers have them on the CB trunk? I think I would prefer a set of ratchet blocks on each rail so that there isn't a working line running across the cockpit. Will try it this way before making any other changes. As show in this wider angle photo there doesn't seem to be any other cleats for the CB uphaul... where does your uphaul cleat to?

IMG_3818.JPG
IMG_3818.JPG (135.34 KiB) Viewed 7837 times

2. I thought it could be some kind of rudder clip. It's angel is consistent w/ someone not knowing it was there and ripping it past the gudgeon. Should be easy to remove and bend back.
Opti sailers apparently refer to it as a Rudder Retaining Clip. It's function can be seen more clearly here: https://www.zimsailing.com/rudder-retainer-clip-opti.html

3. Seems like a critical design flaw on the early DSII's as I don't see how this doesn't "derail" every time. My initial inclination would be to either use a larger diameter line, file a groove into the leading edge of the CB, and some flat material on the leading edge to create a small channel for the line. Will read through some earlier posts first though.
Nephroid

Postby GreenLake » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:29 pm

1. Your photo shows a horn cleat on the side of the CB. That would be the one.

Ratchet blocks are great, but they only hold the line while you (or your crew) give tension. Which you would do while sitting on the opposite rail, so you would have a line across the boat. In lighter winds, you could sit in and the sheet would go only as far across as needed to reach your hand.

Cam cleats on the opposite side would work, but, again, you'd need to be able to control them from when you are sitting on the high side and balancing the boat. Sometimes, they can be hard to release from across and then you will go over (possibly).

The CB cleats are a compromise. Only half the cockpit has a line across at all times (such as when you are sailing in lighter winds and your crew can sit on the bench; but they would sit on the upwind side). Boats that are optimized for aggressive sailing might have their cleats on the opposite (windward) side from the jib car. That makes them easiest to operate by anyone sitting on the side of the boat. If you sail in a high-wind area, that might be something to consider, if not, top of CB is a decent placement, I think, as long as the cleats are open (I don't like captive cleats for the jib sheet, because if you sit on the wrong side, you can't operate them at all - and they are more difficult for when you singlehand or when you need to help a new crew from the helm position. (I've sailed a DSII for an extended excursion that had the stock captive cleats of later model years and really hated that).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Nephroid » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:12 pm

Yup. Based on some older photos I found in earlier threads the cam cleat layout for the jib sheets seems to be original. On thing I could imagine is that it's easier to tack single handed since you won't have to reach all the way across to grab the new working sheet. Will definitely give it a try and see how it goes before making any adjustments.

My research did reveal that I am missing the block for the downhall line though. Will have to add those to the list.
Nephroid

Postby GreenLake » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:12 pm

If your CB trunk blocks for the jib-sheet are not captive, you can tie the two ends of the jibsheet together. That's what I do. that way, as long as you can reach any part of the sheet, you can access either part of it. I really love that setup - others who have sailed with me either do or don't. Seems like a Coke/Pepsi issue.

For singlehanding, look at some form of tiller tamer. I like my simple Mr. Bungee (with a twist) others like dedicated setups.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Signalcharlie » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:44 pm

Those are in fact the jib sheet cleats, just like the ones on our DSII. They work great as Greenlake surmised. And the same cb uphaul cleat.
Kent and Skipper
1971 DS II #4624 "CYANE"
Small Boat Restoration blog http://smallboatrestoration.blogspot.com/p/o.html
Signalcharlie

Return to Day Sailer II Only