Engine for DS 2

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Engine for DS 2

Postby DJF » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:10 pm

New owner of a 1977 DS. I was thinking of picking up a Honda 2.3 short shaft (15 inches)
Is this enough horse power? Will be fighting some river current
Is 15 inch short shaft the best length. Versus 20
Thanks
DJF

Re: Engine for DS 2

Postby GreenLake » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:53 pm

My thoughts would be that both dimension and power could be marginal. I've only mounted electric motors (directly to the transom) but the shaft length on those are considerably over 15". Not sure if mounting to a motor bracket would allow you to use a shorter shaft. If you expect to have to fight currents in the 3-4kn range, then you'd need a motor that can get the DS up to hull speed (~5.5 kn). Not sure that 2HP is enough for that. If you are talking currents on the 1-2kn range, things may be different (that is, if you can get your DS up to a bout 4kn you'd still make 2kn against the current; something that might try your patience a bit, but you'd still get there).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby jalmeida51 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:55 pm

I use a Yamaha 2.5 horsepower with a 20 inch long shaft. The gas tank is internal and to reverse you have to rotate the engine 180 degrees. It takes a while getting used to rotating the engine to reverse. I sail on the Peace River in Punta Gorda Fl. It dumps into Charlotte Harbor. I have plenty of power to buck the current. I figure the current is about 2.5 knots at tops. When the wind fights the current it can get very choppy. I have never ran the engine more than 1/2 throttle. I would use a long shaft outboard, the 15 inch might come out of the water when it's real choppy. I believe my engine weights about 40 lbs. The Honda is a lighter engine, due to being air cooled. The Honda 2.3 is made in China which I didn't like. The Yamaha 2.5 the parts are made in Japan and assembled in France. So far the Yamaha runs well in 2 years of use. But not much use, use it just to get out of the marina. I always carry an extra gallon of gas in a jury tank. Just in case I need extra fuel. Either one doesn't hold a lot of fuel. Good Luck, John
jalmeida51

Postby Alan » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:50 pm

I use a Torqeedo electric, but it has some useful comparisons:

Horsepower: equivalent to a 3 hp gas engine according to the manufacturer. I've reached somewhere between 5.5 and 6 mph indicated on the onboard GPS, in very light winds but choppy water (no current that I know of). This is in a DSII with about 600 pounds of people and stuff on board.

Shaft length: The nominal shaft length is 29.5 inches and it's no longer than it needs to be to be. It's 36 inches from the bottom of the transom bracket to the bottom of the skeg. That places the propeller deep enough to prevent ventilation/cavitation most of the time. I agree with jalmeida51 about 15 inches.
Alan

Postby jimfrens » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:53 pm

+1 on the Yamaha 2.5 long shaft. Mine came with the DS when I bought it, and I use it for the DS and the inflatable dinghy on the powerboat. Mine mounts on a bracket on the port side of the transom.
jimfrens

Postby DJF » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:59 am

Took out the DS 2 yesterday. Honda 2.3 was plenty to push it.
Also like the lightweight engine.
Have other questions I’ll post somewhere on the forums
But since I am here. Looking for replacement placards.
The Oday Emblem on the port and starboard side of the cabin
They look like they were made of some type of plastic
Also I rigged the main sheet vertically without using a traveler
That seems to be the way suggested for the DD 2
However it seemed hard to keep pressure on the sheet
The wind was up. Maybe adding the friction from the traveler would help?
DJF

Postby GreenLake » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:02 am

For the replacement placards, you mean the small, raised O'Day logos on the cuddy, or the large letters on the side of the hull?

The latter, any good graphics shop can print you some, as long as they can replicate the image. For the former, I remember that they have been discussed here at some point, not sure where in the forum. Would take some digging.

What concerns the running rigging, the DaySailer as a class allows anybody to set up what works for them. Therefore, the setups can be quite diverse, even for those boats that are being raced. Therefore, you shouldn't feel bound to any particular setup, but do what works for you.

If you feel you need "friction", or additional holding power, then you can explore adding a ratchet block to your setup. They work quite well; I'm using the Ronstan 55mm with about 90 degree wrap (because of the way my mainsheet is rigged) and find it adds enough holding power that I will not cleat the main in gusty conditions. Their auto mode disables the ratchet if no tension is on the line, so it seamlessly gets out the way in light winds.

What a traveler does is it changes the direction of pull, so you can pull in more than down, or more down than in, so you can control the leech tension a bit independent of the book angle. Various types of travelers exist with different level of control.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby DJF » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:55 pm

Thanks. Looking for the raised ODay emblems on either side
Restoring the boat, and I think those are the only parts I can’t find.
DJF

Postby GreenLake » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:17 pm

For whatever info we have here on those, you'll need to do a bit of digging (look in the "How To" section of the forum for some suggestions on searching this site). Like an elephant, the forum never forgets, the trick is, to get it do remember. :)
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Day Sailer II Only