CB uphaul repair

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

CB uphaul repair

Postby jimfrens » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:43 pm

Hello all, I'm new to forum. I've owned my '84 DS 2 since 2010 but have not used it much. Now retired, I have lots more time.

Main problem is the CB uphaul cable has come off and I can't figure out how to fix it. Looking at the bottom of the boat, I see four screws that look like they hold two pads, one on each side of CB. Farther up in the trunk I can see what looks like a nylon or plastic pivot. Inside the boat, I removed the two round ports and from there I can see the shiny machine screws which I saw from the bottom of the boat. But I don't see any bolt or pin holding the pivot point, which should be between the screws and about 6 inches up. I stuck my phone in there in video mode and all I see is a blob of what looks like putty. I'm guessing someone did that to plug a leak in the trunk. I'll try to post that video here.

Thanks for any tips.

Jim in Edenton NC
jimfrens

Re: CB uphaul repair

Postby GreenLake » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:42 pm

You might find enlightenment in some of the older posts in this section. The CB is a well-discussed item here. Even the "blob" seems to be something other people have encountered.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Leob1 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:00 am

Have a look at the folder Miscellaneous\Some Quarterly Articles then look at the article about fixing CB leaks on a DSII. It will have a schematic of the up haul and down haul of the CB. The blob you see may be the epoxy plug that holds in the up haul. You'll have to remove the CB to fix it if it is. That is a good time time to clean it and the trunk(I had one small barnacle, and lots of other stuff), and replace the lines.
Good Luck
Leob1

Postby TIM WEBB » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:37 pm

Jim, what you have is the "2nd gen" wedge CB pivot system. My DS2 was a '79, and it just had a pivot bolt that went all the way through the trunk. My buddy had an '80 DS2, and it had the wedges, so O'Day made that change at some point during those model years.

If you want to drop the CB, support it from below (or careen the boat), then remove the screws and plates. On each side there will be a wedge, and you might have to do some prying to get them out. Those wedges support the pivot pin you see, which I believe is Delrin. The CB should come out with the wedges, then you'll have access to downhaul/uphaul connections. Just FYI, Rudy at D&R has the plates and pivot pins here. I don't see the wedges on there, so they must not stock them anymore, but you should be able to reuse all the parts you have anyway.

http://www.drmarine.com/products.asp?cat=119
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby jimfrens » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:28 am

Thanks all. I removed the four screws, the cheek blocks fell out on their own, but the CB was wedged in by the trailer frame. I put a jack under each side of boat just behind the trailer wheels, lifted an inch or two, and voila! The CB fell out. Sanded off the old ablative paint, attached the new uphaul cable I bought from Rudy years ago. I'll just cut off the downhaul rope since I recall Rudy telling me it's not needed (the CB is so heavy, it should not need to be hauled down). Next step is to get Mrs. to help reinstall - I'll push the CB up from below while she pulls the uphaul cable thru the hole in the cuddy.

Long term plan for this boat is to completely sand and repaint the hull in Fighting Lady Yellow. When I do that, I'll pull the CB again and do a restore on it with a hard finish paint. Planning to keep the boat on a lift so antifouling won't be necessary.

Jim in Edenton NC
jimfrens

Postby TIM WEBB » Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:28 pm

Glad it worked out!
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby badgley » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:36 am

Hi Jim

Hopefully I'm not too late here - did you finish this repair? I'm just wondering because I have the same vintage boat and CB setup. I thought it might be helpful to know, if you still have access to the CB, that (with all respect to Sir Rudy) my board definitely does NOT just "fall down" when I let tension off the uphaul! I absolutely have to use the downhaul every time, at least to get it started out of the trunk. And my board does not have any noticeable friction when moving it by hand on land. It falls right out when I have the boat on blocks. No idea what the difference is on water, but I suspect just enough hull flex to cause just a little friction somewhere (she is 40 years old after all...)

Just letting you know because if it's not too late, it's an easy part to put back in and I would take the extra bit of time to rig it properly. Just get a few feet of 5/16, stick a small overhand or stopper in the end, putty that into the board, and tie it to the downhaul block. I would really regret not having it!
Brian Badgley
1982 DS II #10911 EGRETTA
Blacksburg, VA, USA
badgley

Postby GreenLake » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:05 am

About the CB not dropping when in the water: could be buoyancy, if the board is hollow. Some have a drain hole which I guess allows water to come in, which would eliminate that effect.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby jimfrens » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:10 pm

Here's where I'm at: I left the CB with just an uphaul rig. Put a ratchet strap around the boat to hold the CB up while launching. Put the boat in my slip using motor only and that's where she sits. I've been busy with other stuff to take her out sailing. But: my CB is quite heavy and solid; I can't imagine it won't drop by gravity when the uphaul is loosened. Hopefully in the next couple weeks I'll find out.

Thanks for the advice!
jimfrens

Postby GreenLake » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:14 pm

This is what it looks like when it doesnt want to drop:

That's a picture of John Alesch's fully loaded DaySailer II being careened on a beach one morning during the Texas 200 when the CB wouldn't drop even with a downhaul. Not sure he ever found out the cause, but it might have been a bit of mud or a piece of shell from the beach. But that was not confirmed.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby badgley » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:47 am

Greenlake, you're right it could be buoyancy. My board does not have a drain hole, but it's not particularly heavy. That or friction could also explain why it's hardest to initially get going from horizontal.

Jim, hopefully yours will be fine. If you've already got it in the water, go with it and hope for the best. If you ever need to replace it, I made a pendant for mine out of amsteel with eyes spliced in each end that works great for probably about $5. I have a post on it in here if it's helpful.
Brian Badgley
1982 DS II #10911 EGRETTA
Blacksburg, VA, USA
badgley

Return to Day Sailer II Only