The Horror, the Horror - DS Gunboat Conversion

Moderator: GreenLake

The Horror, the Horror - DS Gunboat Conversion

Postby tomodda » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:04 pm

Hi Folks:

So, I was busy "researching" ideas for stiffening up my DS, when I ran across THIS: https://stevenjaysanford.com/white-wing-2-man-scooter/

Honestly, I don't know if I'm horrified, insulted, or fascinated. This guy, Steve Sanford, transforms a backyard wreck:

1-before-in-pbf-marina-fleet.jpg
1-before-in-pbf-marina-fleet.jpg (79.5 KiB) Viewed 4180 times

Into this:

18-the-overhead.jpg
18-the-overhead.jpg (74.99 KiB) Viewed 4180 times

Replace paddle with duck gun and you get the idea - this is a boat for sneaking up on those wily ducks, basically a Barnegat Sneakbox just bigger.

All joking and amazement aside, Mr. Sanford did a first-class job in transforming this boat, great workmanship all the way. Worth checking the website (IMHO), first he describes an old gunning boat that he based his design on, then he shows how he did the transformation. And seeing an old DS1 get re-purposed this way is much better than having it turned into a planter.

Anyway, just goes to show what you can do with some imagination and simple powertools. Not to mention utter ruthlessness with a Sawzall!

Cheers,

Tom

PS Yes, I know this forum has entire threads about stiffening DS hulls. Also, bonus, check out what he did to an Osprey: https://stevenjaysanford.com/oday-ospray-a-small-glass-sailboat-restoration/ Nice!
tomodda

Re: The Horror, the Horror - DS Gunboat Conversion

Postby GreenLake » Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:25 pm

As much work as he put into that gunboat, he might have brought her back to full sailboat. But . . .

As for hull-stiffening, I'm just waiting for your contribution to the discussion here.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby tomodda » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:11 am

Well, if you look at the rest of this guy's site, he's pretty fanatical about ducks. He paints them, carves decoys, shoots them, stuffs them, everything. Boats appear to be pretty much a means to an end, that end being sitting out in the cold and wet and shooting ducks. Of course, anybody who looks at US, sailing around in circles (or triangles) just as fast as we can go in our very slow little boats must think we're crazy too! Diffr'nt strokes...... Besides, I'm all for tasty ducks on my dinnerplate, so who am I to complain?

As for future structural projects on MY boat... slowly, slowly. Lots of future projects, no hurry.
tomodda

Postby RobH912 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:31 am

Wow just seeing this DS conversion to a duck boat thread. At first I thought it was some sort of a joke, but I guess not. Seems like an awful lot of work when I would think that there would be a fair number of used duck boats to buy or to start with.
Rob

DS1 #2444
Cape Cod
Eastham, MA
RobH912

Postby GreenLake » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:42 pm

RobH912 wrote: Seems like an awful lot of work when I would think that there would be a fair number of used duck boats to buy or to start with.

Apparently, ducks.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Miscellaneous