Replacing sail numbers

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Replacing sail numbers

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:25 pm

I'm inquiring about changing numbers on a sail. With sail material can you paint over the existing number and then repaint on the number you want. Can you give me an idea of what type of paint would be good for this.

kimery (kimery-at-giampolilawoffice.com)

Postby Bob Hunkins » Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:34 pm

Not sure what you can do if the numbers are painted. I've never seen a DS sail with painted numbers. Usually, they are decals made of a fabric with adhesive or they are stitched on (really old sails).

If you have numbers that are attached with adhesive, you can remove them by slowly and carefully peeling them off. After you finish you can place the new numbers on the sail. Then, take some talcum powder or baby powder and sprinkle it on the sail where the old numbers were and the adhesive is still exposed. It will adhere and keep the exposed adhesive from picking up dirt. Every so often reapply some powder.

Eventually the adhesive will come off with a little gentle rubbing. I was told this by my local sailmaker when I brought in a set of sails I wanted to change the numbers on. He sold me the numbers and I replaced them myself. Saved me a bit of money.
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Sat Jul 17, 2004 4:32 am

I was talking to our local North Sails Rep about this last night. He said that North sells 10" numbers for $3 a piece. They are all 8's and you just cut them to the desired number, then peel and stick.

J.P. Clowes (jpclowes-at-hotmail.com)

Return to Repair and Improvement