Raising the rudder

For issues common to different models of DaySailer.
Except Rigging and Sails.

Moderator: GreenLake

Raising the rudder

Postby psness » Sat Jul 24, 2004 7:00 pm

In May, we purchased a 1979 DSII and after painting and minor repairs, we will be sailing her for the first time next weekend. I don't think it came with the original rudder assembly, and had to remount new gudgeons on 1"w x 1"h x 6"l teak blocks to keep the top pintel from digging into the upper lip of the transon and to keep the bottom gudgeon from covering the cockpit drainhole. My wood tiller bolts into the top of a steel "pie-shaped" bracket with the pintels attached and at the bottom a wood rudder is attached with one bolt so it can pivot up if it hits anything. My question is this - it is very shallow where I will be launching and the rudder will be about 2.5 feet under water when fully down. Do any of you have any mechanical means of keeping the rudder partly raised until in deeper water? I was thinking of attaching a lanyard along the aft edge to use to pull it up. Any thoughts??
psness

Postby psness » Sat Jul 24, 2004 7:02 pm

PS - I have a photo but don't know how or where to upload to this BBS???
psness

Postby Guest » Sun Jul 25, 2004 4:25 pm

Paul, I recently bought a '77 DSII, had it out twice so far. The rudder on mine has enough tension at the bracket to stay up when I raise it, and stay down when under way. What about some nylon washers as shims between rudder and bracket for more tension?

Jon (young.jon-at-att.net)

Return to Repair and Improvement