New member with project DS1, hello! (A restoration thread)

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: New member with project DS1, hello!

Postby Brianl289 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:26 am

Sure thing! Main questions seem to be that the attachment points at the ends of the wires seem to be incomplete or missing. One looks to have been rigged with something from Home Depot. also looks like I don’t have any spreaders or attachment points for those. Other than that my plan is to get everything else on the boat sorted before I install the mast and boom to evaluate what I need for the rigging. I understand the setup preferences can vary and my boat has extra components I may not need at the moment so I’ll compare to existing boats to see what I need to replace and what I can remove. Im also hoping I can fix the slight bend in the mast as it looks to be the portion that is below deck and only about 2-3 feet.
Brianl289

Re: New member with project DS1, hello!

Postby GreenLake » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:02 pm

I see what looks like one spreader bracket (next to a big half-ring). The best thing for you to do is to get the sturdier spreaders and brackets from DR Marine. You'll also need stainless steel wire to attach the spreader ends to the shrouds and self-amalgamating rigging tape to cover those ends so they don't put holes in your sail when sailing downwind. You can attach the spreader bases with rivets - get closed ones so water doesn't get into your mast after a capsize.

If the hardware to attache the stays to the chainplates is lost, get a set of new stays from DR Marine - be careful to describe the details when you talk to them. If just the clevis pins are missing (I see one chainplate has a bolt with a nut) just get a set of those (and cotter rings).

Looks like there are some cheek blocks on your mast right above where it would go through the deck. These would indicate that halyards used to be cleated on deck (although I don't recall seeing the corresponding cleats - easier for you to check on the boat, compared to trolling through all the pictures).

That's it for good thoughts for today.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Re: New member with project DS1, hello! (A restoration threa

Postby Brianl289 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:55 am

A little bit of progress yesterday, got the old rotted transom support removed and glassed in a new one. I had a 3/4” thick cutting board that was too far gone so I decided to use that. It’s a thick plastic material and isn’t too much heavier than a similar piece of wood and won’t rot. Also very dense and rigid. Also ended up glassing a few problem areas around the hull. Got the yellow cedar milled up as well and am slowly planning out a new floor. Hopefully today I will be able to sand down the exterior of the boat and prep for paint.
Attachments
83EEB25E-0B9E-4F7E-98B7-51F30ADEA48E.jpeg
83EEB25E-0B9E-4F7E-98B7-51F30ADEA48E.jpeg (96.2 KiB) Viewed 45053 times
F20ADE5C-7D03-44E6-AD91-508EE54AE9EF.jpeg
F20ADE5C-7D03-44E6-AD91-508EE54AE9EF.jpeg (126.83 KiB) Viewed 45053 times
4899DCCC-67C6-4E76-82B3-57512ECB28C6.jpeg
4899DCCC-67C6-4E76-82B3-57512ECB28C6.jpeg (106.12 KiB) Viewed 45053 times
Brianl289

Postby igotit » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:06 pm

Cutting boards are usually white teflon,not sure about epoxy....but i know fiberglass doesnt adhere to teflon,peels away easily.
But assuming once bolted up,should be fine encased in glass.but again if it is teflon,glass wont bond to it.
Nice floor by the way,i love working with ceder
igotit

Postby GreenLake » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:25 pm

Nick, Cutting boards are usually not Teflon but HDPE (high density polyethylene). The downside of HDPE is that it's chemically not that different from wax - so, like Teflon, nothing sticks to it. However, for the transom support it basically acts as a backing plate distributing the rudder loads. If glassed in well, should work for that purpose, as you mention.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Brianl289 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:43 pm

Yes good point about the adhesion. I did sand it with 80 grit first to hopefully add some texture to bond but more importantly it’s glassed in all along the edges and then will be bolted it with few different fasteners for the rudder and drain plug.
Brianl289

Postby igotit » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:08 pm

I agree....encased in glass and bolted,shouldnt be an issue.i was just putting out some info that glass dosent adhere to teflon,and hdpe.
I considered mentioning hdpe,but wasnt sure thick cutting boards were hdpe.
My kayaks are hdpe,nothing sticks to it,not even 5200 after sanding.
igotit

Postby GreenLake » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:15 pm

Yep, just like that.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Brianl289 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:46 pm

Also I’ve removed the styrofoam behind the benches. Is it ok to replace with a spray foam type product or should I try to find some sort of dense foam and shape to fit?
Brianl289

Postby igotit » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:49 pm

I read here alot that people use pool noodles.
I need to do the same,but in my hull it has poured foam.not as easy to remove.
GL would know best
igotit

Postby GreenLake » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:16 am

I don't know "best" - I just post the most :)

I can tell you that many people here have warned about using spray foam. I've never tried it, but I'm not sure that after seeing how a "good idea" from decades ago has turned into failure that I want to use something I can't remove again easily. There's also mention that some foams can create overpressure (and the surface area of a seat tank is so big, I can see how even slight pressure may generate more force than the seat can hold - one of the reasons, incidentally, to be really cautious when trying a pressure test to find leaks).

Pool noodles are recommended by many here. You can get the ones without the central hole to minimize air pockets. However, I think the new iteration of building foam (the pink or blue panels) should be sufficiently less susceptible to becoming waterlogged that it may be used (if monitored). The difference to the white foam is that there is no longer an "open network" of spaces between the little expanded pellets. However, even the blue / pink boards aren't proof against water vapor. I went ahead and filled my bow tank with it, because it was something I had on hand (and didn't know where to best source pool noodles).

It's been long enough, I should probably check...
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Brianl289 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:37 am

Ok pool noodles it is!
Brianl289

Postby GreenLake » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:06 pm

Brianl289 wrote:Ok pool noodles it is!

Very sensible, you may even teach your DS how to swim!
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Brianl289 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:27 pm

No progress this week as its been 100+ degrees. But I thought it would be cool to share some documents that came with the boat and the collection of paint I have waiting for application.

ImageOday by Brian LaBarbera, on Flickr

Brianl289

Postby igotit » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:32 pm

Awesome info.....thanx for posting up the book.
I hear ya on the heat,south louisiana heat aint nice either.we have high humidty and in the 90s.
igotit

PreviousNext

Return to Day Sailer I Only