New member with a 1968 DS1(rigging pics pg 6-7)

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: New member with a 1968 DS1

Postby jalmeida51 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:25 am

My traveler is setup like Nicks. But I ran the tag lines (control lines ) external on the rear deck and side decks. I did not use a continuous tag line. I used 2, one on each side deck. The system works great. Nick's system is better because the tag lines are out of the way. Most lightnings are setup like Nicks. You can position the boom in any position you want.

I use a down haul on my jib and it gets the jib down fast and no need to leave the cockpit. If you sail single handed it's a must have. Going on the deck of any dinghy should only be done as a last resort. ( sailing single handed )

Happy Sailing, John
jalmeida51

Postby igotit » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:23 pm

jalmeida51 wrote:My traveler is setup like Nicks. But I ran the tag lines (control lines ) external on the rear deck and side decks. I did not use a continuous tag line. I used 2, one on each side deck. The system works great. Nick's system is better because the tag lines are out of the way. Most lightnings are setup like Nicks. You can position the boom in any position you want.

I use a down haul on my jib and it gets the jib down fast and no need to leave the cockpit. If you sail single handed it's a must have. Going on the deck of any dinghy should only be done as a last resort. ( sailing single handed )

Happy Sailing, John

thanx for the input.....atleast i know i have more control and fine tuning available once i learn to basic sail.
my midship cam cleats and sheves are mount to 2 pieces of 2x4 stacked 1 over the other,bout 6" in length.fits snugly between the coaming and sidewalls.it really is simple if you look at the overhead view,but complicated just by trying to see it under the deck and figure it out.
im experimenting with a jib downhaul now,on land its working great.i used existing hardware that was already on the deck,doesnt seem to interfer with anything sofar.my first instinct was to run the downhaul below deck,but i think above deck will do for now.let me know what you guys think.
for now the downhaul connects to the jib via bolen tied to the halyard eye on the sail.

used existing cam and eye ontop the cabin to route and secure the downhaul.
Image20200715_104820 by Nick Pellegrin, on Flickr
not pictured theres a sheve that connects to the bow deck padeye that holds the front stay (not sure correct name for padeye)
downhaul follows the jib all the way up,secured for now with a bolen knot.
Image20200715_104836 by Nick Pellegrin, on Flickr
and i believe i read if the jib sticks out past the mast,then its bigger than a 100%......thinking i have a 120% jib.
Image20200715_105146 by Nick Pellegrin, on Flickr
and my layout of controls,starting from left to right.
1-port jib sheet
2-orange rope n sheve port jib barber hauler
3-jib downhaul
4-jib halyard
5-green cunningham
6-below deck center attatched in v block on ceiling is the line to tension the jib......forgot already.....clew maybe
7-red main halyard
8-strb jib barber hauler
9- out of picture is the strb jib sheet.

in other pictures is my traveler adjustment line and traveler.

Image20200715_105454 by Nick Pellegrin, on Flickr
tried to number everything but the flickr editor and my raspberry pi computer dont get along.
Image20200715_105454 by Nick Pellegrin, on Flickr
Last edited by igotit on Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
igotit

Postby GreenLake » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:13 pm

Thanks, Nick, as always, great pictures. (Hoping you will maintain them on flickr for a long time, so anybody reading this later will still be able to view).

What you call the jib downhaul: where does it attach on the jib? Does it attach at the top and run along the luff behind the sail in the picture? Can't quite tell...
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby igotit » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:37 pm

i have every intention of keeping my flicker account active.i used to use photobucket,but 3 years ago they wanted $500 per yer to display my photos posted on forums......hence why i switched to flicker.and your welcom on the pics,ive searched and theres not much out there that clearly shows how to route everthing.mine may not be setup right.theres alotta ways to setup i guess.
so if this all works out,later on i may try to make a video tracing out every line on here to give us a better understanding.i know plenty new people aquire ds1 with rigging all piled up in the cockpit with no clue where anything goes......i was 1 of them :lol:
once the jib is hoisted i can put a lil tension on the downhaul so that its not sagging and flapping around hitting the sail.

Image20200715_123000 by Nick Pellegrin, on Flickr
Image20200715_122921 by Nick Pellegrin, on Flickr
Image20200715_122917 by Nick Pellegrin, on Flickr
igotit

Postby igotit » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:59 pm

tomodda wrote:Sorry about the toasted sander, a shame. If it's any consolation, I've just sent my trusty old B&D drill to the Great Toolbox in the Sky after dropping it and busting the armature. Sigh.... Rigging the DS is pretty simple, if you've ever sailed before. Look here:

https://forum.daysailer.org/pdf/ds1man-oday.pdf

and here:

https://forum.daysailer.org/tech_rigguide.php

For guidelines (and you don't have to do everything that Phil Root says, but he'll help you sort out your traveler/bridle).

Good luck and fair winds!

Tom

tom i wanted to thank you again for posting these articles,they were very helpful.
igotit

Postby GreenLake » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:15 pm

Could the dowhhaul fit inside the little flaps that hold the forestay? (Without popping them open, that is). That would reduce the need for tension. Also, you could (should?) rig a much thinner line. For now, it seems set up to work fine for your purpose.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby GreenLake » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:17 pm

PS: about the pictures. Would be great if you can keep them alive. If you ever run into not being able to host them externally (i.e. if flickr gets greedy in the future), contact me.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby igotit » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:21 pm

Its possible i can run it inside the hanks and give it a few hoist.shouldnt pop open the buttons.
Ill look into a smaller line,maybe a 3/16 vs the 1/4 i have now.
I just used what i had that came with my ds1.

My next project before planning a first sail date would be steering tension on the tiller and a way to set my motors throttle.
Im guessing a bungie and 2 atatchment points will do for tiller

Its currently spring loaded to return to idle,and at idle my motors in nuetral......has no gears just direct drive lower unit via centrifical clutch to engage fwd when rpms rise.
Last edited by igotit on Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
igotit

Postby igotit » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:55 pm

GreenLake wrote:PS: about the pictures. Would be great if you can keep them alive. If you ever run into not being able to host them externally (i.e. if flickr gets greedy in the future), contact me.

Cool deal
I gonna try to use my wifes laptop and save the pictures to a file and thumb drive.
I may even download them to my social media,that way if i lose em in flickr.....i can resort to my social media account and retrieve them
igotit

Postby GreenLake » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:22 pm

At that point we'd need to update the links here, so in that eventuality, let me know.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby igotit » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:21 pm

GreenLake wrote:At that point we'd need to update the links here, so in that eventuality, let me know.

Right....every picture would need to be updated.
Think it would be good idea to take all my pics of current rigging and post them in a seperate rigging thread,might make it easier for members to find.
But that still leaves us with the flickr issue if i ever lose the account.
igotit

Postby GreenLake » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:29 pm

If you can make a dedicated thread in the "Rigging" section with the best photos selected and uploaded as attachments and each of them with a bit of descriptive text, that would a labor of love really appreciated.

If you do that, the trick is to use jpeg compression (or "quality" as it's called in some tools) to get the file size down below the limit, not simply scaling down the pixel dimensions so far that one can't see details.

I'd suggest splitting this across many smaller posts in the same thread because it's easier to follow along (anyway attachments are limited to 3 per post). You haven't even started, and I'm already looking forward to it!
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby igotit » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:06 pm

GreenLake wrote:If you can make a dedicated thread in the "Rigging" section with the best photos selected and uploaded as attachments and each of them with a bit of descriptive text, that would a labor of love really appreciated.

If you do that, the trick is to use jpeg compression (or "quality" as it's called in some tools) to get the file size down below the limit, not simply scaling down the pixel dimensions so far that one can't see details.

I'd suggest splitting this across many smaller posts in the same thread because it's easier to follow along (anyway attachments are limited to 3 per post). You haven't even started, and I'm already looking forward to it!

:lol:
Ill try to sitdown n get on my wifes laptop download all the relevant pics and try a test in this thread,if it all works out maybe we can kick off a thread and others will join in.that way we can have a nice picture show and description of everyones rigging.
Would make it alot easier to start fresh on a project ds1 if we had good pics and descriptions to guide us.
For now ill ad this to thread tittle (rigging pictures pg 6-7)
Im not too computer literate,ill do what i can when i can find time to sitdown n play.
igotit

Re: New member with a 1968 DS1(rigging pics pg 6-7)

Postby igotit » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:31 pm

Try this out to see how it works with a photo compress app.
Edit....didnt work,no detail once i compress below 400kib
igotit

Re: New member with a 1968 DS1(rigging pics pg 6-7)

Postby GreenLake » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:53 pm

OK, I often scale to some intermediate size and then pick 65% compression ("medium" quality). I often pick 1200 for the longest side, but even 1200 for the shorter side will get you there. And 65% leaves enough detail and doesn't have too may obvious jpeg artifacts.

Sometimes, you may need one photo to show the overall view (e.g. of the entire cockpit), and 2-3 closeups from the same or similar perspective (or have a few different cropped sections from a single high resolution photo)
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

PreviousNext

Return to Day Sailer I Only