Woodie - DS1 project

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: Woodie - DS1 project

Postby lemsteraak » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:30 pm

Greenlake - yes you are right, it is a game of inches. Anyplace you can save some drag is important. The aluminum cheeks are rounded and thin to slice the water if they stick down below the surface of the water minimizing drag. The newer aluminum cheeks on the latest boats are squared off at the bottom like what you said. Woodie is a "gentleman's" racer, I'm looking for style points. Which brings me to our next subject - Coamings

Woodie had these goofy wood coamings screwed to the side of the cockpit for looks. They probably looked good sixty years ago but looked pretty sad. They actually have a purpose on these old DaySailers as these boats have just enough buoyancy when swamped to float, barely. The old coaming was really tall, like six inches tall so they would stick high enough out of the water allowing you could to bail the boat out. If you cut down the coamings, you lose this function and need more buoyancy to self rescue.

I looked at the coamings on Woodie and they would be expensive to replace and the wood in the inside didn't look quite so bad and could beach out, so I reversed them. The port one is now on starboard and vice versa. I cut down the centers for hiking out and left a little height in the back. I found if you turn sharply and take a deep cut at the leeward mark, the stern swamps with a lot of water, very quickly. This riser should deflect some of that water.

You probably noticed a little addition besides the riser, I added a wood skirt. The wood coaming is really flimsy so the skirt adds a lot of strength and not a lot of weight.

The skirt adds a little height and I couldn't get the edge of the coaming to look right by itself. It just looked like it was cut down. I guess I should have left the edge proud about a quarter inch but it was already cut down when I got the boat and wasn't pretty. This modification isn't difficult, I took a 3/8 inch board and scribed the inside edge and made another cut about 1 1/2 inches parallel to it. Then glue and clamp in place with some parchment paper to protect the fiberglass. Sort of used the deck as a mould.

You need a lot of clamps. I used West G-Flex Epoxy mixed with some sawdust to thicken as there were a few gaps. I then used some fiberglass tape to reinforce the joint on the inside and it is quite stiff because it is joined from two compound curves. This would be a great way to strengthen this edge on the later O'Day DaySailers - the ones without all the wood.

Starboard side, roughed out and reinforced with fiberglass tape. You can see some of the tape on the bottom edge. I think it will soften the edge when finished and help fool the eye into thinking it is seeing a wooden boat. Now if it would only stop raining ......
lemsteraak

Postby GreenLake » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:55 pm

You are doing mighty fine work on that boat of yours!
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby lemsteraak » Tue May 03, 2022 5:59 pm

OK back to work, Nationals in in Eugene and I want to have Woody on the line

I need to make a proper rudder, a racing rudder but one that has a nod to DaySailer heritage. My idea is to use a nice piece of walnut to make the base and inlay the pintles. The rudder cheeks will be the same shape as the old fiberglass rudder. Here is what the inlaid pintles look like. I'm thinking of riveting the pintles in with copper as I don't want them to ever move.

lemsteraak

Postby JimTan » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:40 pm

This give me lots of information for restoring my Falcon 16.
Thank you very much.
JimTan

Postby SailLI » Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:24 am

The photos for this post are no longer available. Does anyone happen to have a copy of them? I know this is an old post, but I am hoping to start a similar project and would love to see how it was done. Thanks.
SailLI

Postby GreenLake » Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:39 pm

The images were located on google sites, which is no longer maintained by google. Unless someone saved a copy (or the original poster provides different links) these are gone.

What project are you contemplating?
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby lemsteraak » Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:03 pm

Ooops, looks like Google decided to cut the link to the hack I used to post pictures. I didn't realize there was continuing interest let me see what I can do

In the meantime, an update. I had a very difficult time with the centerboard, the trunk must have been made before they standardized. The centerboard I made was based on a the standard O'Day DS1 dimensions. Woody's case is thinner and it looks like the pivot point is set about three inches higher so when you lower the board the forward edge hits the front of the case an the board will not drop. I modified an old board and barely had the boat ready for 2023 Memorial Day Regatta in Eugene. With a rough bottom, no spinnaker, and dropping out of the last race because of a broken vang, she placed 3rd, out of 12 boats. Even won one race outright. Think I was lucky.

This year I want to finish the centerboard I made and I'm going to lower the centerboard pivot so it matches the newer boats. If I have time, I'd like to put on a racing bottom, she has really rough antifouling paint on right now. What do you think, maybe she will be able to keep up? I'm still not going to rig a spinnaker, hate spinnakers.

All in all, I'd say the experiment was a success, and I think we can get more speed out of the old girl. I'll keep you posted.
lemsteraak

Postby GreenLake » Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:54 pm

Ooops, looks like Google decided to cut the link to the hack I used to post pictures. I didn't realize there was continuing interest let me see what I can do

If you still have the images, you may be able to upload them as attachments.

You may need to use jpeg compression (quality) settings lower than 100% in order to get the file size below the limits for attachments, which is 512KB. Don't try to simply scale the picture, because a high quality postage stamp is less useful than a larger picture with some details compressed.

I think you should be able to edit your post in place and use the "place inline" method to move the anchor for the attachment to where your defunct link is now.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Previous

Return to Day Sailer I Only