Annapolis Sailboat Builders, Inc.

Moderator: GreenLake

Annapolis Sailboat Builders, Inc.

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 08, 2002 3:41 pm

I recently bought a 17' "day sailer" built by Annapolis Sailboat Builders (ASB), hull number 098. Think it was built '67. It is very much like an O'day boat, but the standing rigging differs; has 2 side stays on each side. Don't know if this was a modification by one of the pervious owners, but it appears original. The cuddy is not finished and the jib leads are aft of the cuddy on the deck. The wood trim around the cockpit looks like a DSI, but the seats are floatation tanks. The centerboard, rudder and running rigging are all O'day look alikes. The best I've been able to trace the history of ASB is that it went out of business in '84. I'm looking for any additional information anyone might have on this boat.

Jim Woodard (jimmy_woodard-at-msn.com)

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 08, 2002 5:48 pm

Jim, to avoid my having to retype a previous answer, if you check under the heading below, "DS II only" look for a posting about "What Boat is this?" You will find a description and some information about the DISCOVERER", a 17' sailboat built by Annapolis Sailboat Builders.

Rod Johnson, "SUNBIRD" (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Postby Guest » Sat Nov 09, 2002 9:32 am

Rod -
Thanks, I had missed that posting when I looked at the site before. It's nice to know that there is at least another "Discoverer" owner out there. While not an O'day, it is a nice stable boat and a lot of fun. What's what it's about anyway.

Cheers, Jim W.

Jim Woodard (jimmy_woodard-at-msn.com)

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 29, 2004 3:02 pm

I worked for the Annapolis Sailboat Builders Inc. around 1973 and I also own a Discoverer sailboat (number 115). It was made in 1968. I have a Discoverer brochure that has all the dementions for this boat. Here is some of the info regarding origional construction and equipment that came with the boat.

LOA 17' 7"; Beam 6' 4"; Weight 650# approx; Draft board up 9", board down 4' 6"; sail area 165 sq. ft; Mast above deck 22' 6"

Origional Price $1,975.00 with dacron main and jib sails.

Construction
Fiberglass reinforced plastic throughout
Teak coamings
Fiberglass rudder and centerboard, both kick-up
Vinyl rub rail
Aluminum mast and boom, both anodized
Stainless steel rigging and hardware
Self-bailing cockpit
Built in foam flotation for self rescue
Molded non-skid surfaces

Standard Equipment
Rollar reefing
Pivot type mast tabernacle
Cam action cleats, both main and jib sheets
Dacron sails and running rigging
Teak boom crotch
Storage hammocks
Molded-in boot top color
Bow eye, bow and stern cleats
Standard colors- white, light blue, medium blue, light green, buff.

Optional Equipment
Boom vang assembly
Whisker pole, aluminum
4" foam mattresses (pair)
Cockpit seat cushions
Cuddy Cover, canvas
Boom tent cover, canvas
Camping tent cover, canvas
Non-standard colors
Motor mount, installed
Custom trailer

"The Discoverer is a fast, stable, roomy, comfortable family day-sailer with overnight camping capability, yet lively enough for those who like to race"

I am currently trying to find out how many people own Discoverer's and trying to find out how many are still around. If you own one or know of someone who has one or want to discuss anything about this type of boat feel free to contact me. If you own one I would like to know the year and serial number of the boat.

Allen (afchamelin-at-msn.com)

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:18 pm

I am the original owner of an Annapolis Discoverer that I purchased in 1973 that I am trying to sell. Does anyone know of a market for these classic boats?

4hp Evinrude and 2 year old trailor included

Victor (tcvc2-at-earthlink.com)

Postby Nels » Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:02 pm

I apparently have a Discoverer also - sail #79 (although I got new sails a couple of years ago.) I would love to find other Discoverer sailors out there. I live in Norfolk VA. I would also like to get a copy of a manual for this boat.
Nels

Discoverer 17 (Annapolis Boat Works)

Postby Ramcraft » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:33 am

I'm replying to Allen about the Discoverer I owned and sailed in both the Atlantic (Raritan Bay by Staten Island, NY) and the actual Pacific (off San Diego, CA). I used the boat as the carrier of our personal gear as we traveled across the country to San Diego to seek a new life in 1970. It trailed as well as it sailed! We had an awsome amount of fun seeing our first porpoises, seals, sea lions and a sea otter while enjoying sails in San Diego harbor, Mission Bay and right off the coast, on nice days.
We used a 4 HP Mercury OB for auxiliary since it had a full gearshift in 1969 when other famous makes did not, in the 4 HP size.
Trailering and rig setup were easy for a sailboat. I could rig it single-handed in about a half hour and be ready to launch.
It had ample sail power with the 165 sq. ft. main and working jib. I did wish for a larger foresail at times in the light airs around San Diego, although there were days when sailing was quite lively. No spinaker option existed, ether. The centerboard was hollow fiberglass, and filled with water when you lowered it. This would sometimes create a problem if you changed tack and wanted to lower the board (go to windward). The lateral force on the board would cause it to scrape hard on the trunk and not want to go down, which required a momentary heading up to the wind to relieve the pressure. This quirk would not have been good if one was racing, but never really caused me much of a problem cruising about.
I owned the boat from 1969 to 1999 when it was sold to a fellow who planned to restore its' finish and replace the weathered teak combings as well as the old trailer which had helped us move west. The '69 Mercury OB still looked and ran like new. The only replaced part on it (besides the spark plug) was the water pump impeller, which was due to my ignorance of test starting the motor before launching (no water).
I had kept the boat in salt water for about 3 years (mooring & marina) with quality anti-fouling paint on the bottom. These were the years before bubbling in the gel coat was a really known issue. The hull did collect some small bubbles (nothing larger than 1/8th inch). Several years of storage in the back yard were off the trailer, on weedy dirt (trailer was my temporary truck (box built & bolted on). I don't suppose this did the bottom any good (good thing it never froze, in winter). The additional items I added were an adjustable boom crotch/mast support and use of a snatch block at the stem fitting when raising the mast single-handed so I could stand in the cockpit, lift the mast with one arm and haul on the line through the snatch block attached to the turnbuckle of the fore stay. All and all, it was a great little rig and friend.

Today, I sail a 1987 Sanibel 17, which is again being built by International Marine (Potter 15 and 19). I am moving to CO soon and will begin enjoying lake sailing. I plan on an annual pilgrimage to join the Southern California Potter group on their trek to Catalina Island from Los Angeles, which they do about June each year. This trip requires a tender of some sort to get to dockside and I am still studying all the possibilities which would work for the two of us and our small main boat. Inflatables are an inexpensive favorite but a folding rowboat like Glen-L offers plans for has it's merits. Aside towing a dinghy, does anyone have any other ideas???
Ramcraft of "Annabelle"
Ramcraft

Re: Annapolis Sailboat Builders, Inc.

Postby usa188683 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:34 pm

Hello Everyone,

Is anyone still active on this Thread? I recently just purchased an Annapolis Discoverer 18 and was wondering a few things:

1)Has anyone been able to launch the vessel via a hoist/ crane rather than trailer/ramp launch.
If so, did you install your own lifting Eyes in the deck, use the shroud chain plates in the deck, use the Bridle Eyes for the stern lifting points? Anyone have any thoughts / suggestions?

2) Any Vang rigging suggestions / pictures?

3) Is a centerboard down control line needed or does the centerboard stay down when sailing? I've not had a sea trial yet with mine.

Thanks in advance!
usa188683

Re: Annapolis Sailboat Builders, Inc.

Postby GreenLake » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:50 pm

Some other threads about the Discoverer:
Annapolis Discoverer 17' Refurb
Almost saved 17
Day Sailer ID help
(those are not the only ones)

There seems mention of both 17' and 18', but I wonder whether that's just the same as people listing a DS as 16' (rounding down) or 17' (rounding up).

About your questions: the one about a vang or how to hoist the boat would seem to be rather "generic". Any discussion of these topics, even if for the DaySailer, would probably give you suggestions that you could apply to your boat.

We just had a long discussion here on the need to for a CB downhaul related to the DSII; you might find that interesting and perhaps could come to some useful conclusions for your boat.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to History